Sign in to follow this  
HankBoggio

Exhaust Replacement on 2010 284 Sunesta

I have a 2010 Sunesta 284 with 525 hours on the engine.  Boat is used in salt water for a limited boating season in NJ (mid-May - end of Sept).  It appears that one of the two exhausts has a leak and is corroded.  The other exhaust is rusted on the bottom as well.  My marina service center is recommending a full replacement of the exhaust system.  Does anyone have any idea what this type of repair should cost when you consider labor hours and parts? 

2 hours ago, HankBoggio said:

I have a 2010 Sunesta 284 with 525 hours on the engine.  Boat is used in salt water for a limited boating season in NJ (mid-May - end of Sept).  It appears that one of the two exhausts has a leak and is corroded.  The other exhaust is rusted on the bottom as well.  My marina service center is recommending a full replacement of the exhaust system.  Does anyone have any idea what this type of repair should cost when you consider labor hours and parts? 

Every engine is different as is access i every boat which impacts labor. Merc big blocks have stainless risers that add more. Go to a site like Marine Parts Plus and price out the materials then add at least 8 hours labor at you shops current rate. You won't get out for less than $2,300 I fear with gaskets, bolts, exhaust flappers, rubber components, manifolds, and risers.  W

Thanks for the reply.  The mechanic on site was figuring on 20 hours, which I thought was really high, which is why I posted this topic here.  I'm expecting a quote from the marine center tomorrow.  I will post the quote if you'd like to see it to provide additional feedback.  

15 hours ago, HankBoggio said:

Thanks for the reply.  The mechanic on site was figuring on 20 hours, which I thought was really high, which is why I posted this topic here.  I'm expecting a quote from the marine center tomorrow.  I will post the quote if you'd like to see it to provide additional feedback.  

My hope would be that on a 2010 you can still get the thing apart. That's always the challenge and perhaps they are building in some extra time but 20 hours seems excessive unless that intend to pressure test everything upon completion. Don't know if you are raw water cooled, or if you have a closed loop cooling system. either and I ask that you add make, model and horsepower spec to your cover page so the group can give more targeted responses. I wish everyone on here would do the same.  W

Thanks for the additional feedback.  My 284 Sunesta is raw water cooled (we are in salt water).  Additional details are as follows: Volvo 8.1L 375HP V8

49 minutes ago, HankBoggio said:

Thanks for the additional feedback.  My 284 Sunesta is raw water cooled (we are in salt water).  Additional details are as follows: Volvo 8.1L 375HP V8

I have the almost the exact same motor (mine is 8.1 Gi) and water conditions and same year but have 315 hours on it and just to let you know, I have a friend who's a mechanic and helps me out with everything I need and he is excellent and is on the money every time.  I told him to get ready because this fall or at some point in the next year, I'm thinking of doing the entire exhaust system because I'm seeing a tiny bit of rusty staining coming from the riser seals, but not sure if the whole thing is ready to be replaced.  I have a VP supply house about 25 minutes away and get all my stuff from there and will be pricing the entire parts in the next few weeks.  But what I wanted to tell you that my buddy told me in order to do the replacement of the entire exhaust system and do it properly (basically a top-notch job), it's going to take between 15 - 20 hours.  So your marina service sounds like they're right with the 20 hours.

Is this what you're seeing, or is it worst?

Right side.

R3oruQs.jpg 

Left side.

ll5p3PK.jpg

I don't think it's ready for a complete replacement just yet and I'm thinking I could probably get through this season (hopefully) and then maybe check the seals first.  Maybe it's just them that need replacing for now but I am looking into the entire cost since just in case since I probably will be dealing with it at some point. 

Thanks for the feedback!  Mine is worse as the port side exhaust has a small leak in it, so getting it fixed in the very near term is imperative.  Just waiting on the full quote from my service center to get a sense as to cost.  At 20 hours at $125/hour, the labor alone is $2,500.  Not sure what the full exhaust will cost in terms of parts.

1 hour ago, HankBoggio said:

Thanks for the feedback!  Mine is worse as the port side exhaust has a small leak in it, so getting it fixed in the very near term is imperative.  Just waiting on the full quote from my service center to get a sense as to cost.  At 20 hours at $125/hour, the labor alone is $2,500.  Not sure what the full exhaust will cost in terms of parts.

No pun intended, but it ain't rocket surgery. OK, maybe a little pun intended. I say, go after it yourself, take your time and we will walk you through it. Pulling the spark plugs out first help simplify the process, and pulling manifolds, risers, and elbows off as an assembly makes it a heavier lift, but speeds disassembly. Bench assemble the new pieces. inspect the 4" rubber hoses internally, and check the exhaust flappers. Most of the attachment hardware is stainless, and a little never-seeze on the threads before re-assembly never hurts. Having the new parts in hand before you start helps to identify where all the fasteners are hidden if you are not familiar. The manifold to head bolts are the real crap shoot so you go slow and easy with them. The remaining bolts are coming out with the assembly anyway and if they snap, then you just buy new ones to reassemble the sub-assemblies. Parts for your ride are also widely available in the aftermarket and are similar quality. BARR comes to mind. W

http://www.barrmarine.net/volvo-penta.html

3 hours ago, Wingnut said:

No pun intended, but it ain't rocket surgery.

Yeah, maybe not for you lmfao!

How long you've been fixing engines and playing in all sorts of oils and stuff, a millennia? :haha-7383:

just talking manifolds and risers or y pipe flappers etc?  With that being said on my 5.7GXI I ordered the riser and manifold kit from GLM and used OEM gaskets, all for around 650 bucks and it took me probably  4-5 hours to do.  If somebody wants 2 grand and 20 hours to do just that Id tell them to take a hike, but if your talking everything then maybe that's ball park but still have my doubts.  I know the comparable Volvo kit was around 900 to 1000.  Comparing GLM to Volvo on the manifolds and risers there was no difference.

Quick tip one side took me two hours to assemble the other took 30mins.  Fought and fought with the first side.  Trick is take an two old manifold bolts and cut the head off, and hand thread the bold back into the manifold flange in the first and last hole, put your two new bolts in the middle and then take out the cut off head bolts and replace with new.  Take spark plugs out and bench assemble as much as possibly like said above, but unless you got two guys or crane I wouldn't attach riser and manifold together.