buzzed

Soft Deck - what's under the carpet 1995 2335ss

I have some soft deck spots on the starboard, behind helm seat closer to the stern.  Has not been a priority to repair - boat guy says stringers are fine.   Been an off season project for a couple of years though.  

We have the mid-90s carpet on the entire deck.  Anyone have an idea of what's under the carpet?  The 1995 brochure states balsa core...  If I begin to pull the carpet back, more than likely in pieces, should I be able to simply remove the area soft deck and repair/patch the hole?  I'm actually thinking about ripping out all the carpet on the deck and installing textured FRP in it's place. 

I have a 97 180le and I just did my carpet. If your floor is anything like mine, it'll have the thinnest layer of chopstrand and resin on top of ply. Along the center walkway, that thin layer of glass had turned to dust and the ply was deteriorating a bit leaving the floor feeling "springy". I patched what I could with some two-part wood filler, sanded, and reglassed the problem area with woven fiberglass mat. Floor is solid and strong again. It was a pain in the $^& but completely worth it. 

The light tan is wood filler and the wet looking parts is where I laid the new glass. 

aa76BXoh.jpg

And all done

2oY73APh.jpg

The bummer is the 90's chaps are all wood in areas where as early as some 2000 models, the wood (and other materials such as seat fillers) were replaced with materials that don't rot.  I really hope the stringers are ok as boats tend to rot from the stringers up as I've seen.  

I did a very similar repair on my '92 over the winter.  Had a soft spot over the fuel tank section so I removed the seats, pulled back the carpet and began cutting out the bad section.  There was a very slight coating of resin and chop strand that turned to dust over the past 26 years coupled with some steel staples through the glass that rotted away leaving holes for water to enter in the most wet part of a carpeted boat interior.  

On 7/9/2018 at 6:29 PM, Fiction520 said:

I have a 97 180le and I just did my carpet. If your floor is anything like mine, it'll have the thinnest layer of chopstrand and resin on top of ply. Along the center walkway, that thin layer of glass had turned to dust and the ply was deteriorating a bit leaving the floor feeling "springy". I patched what I could with some two-part wood filler, sanded, and reglassed the problem area with woven fiberglass mat. Floor is solid and strong again. It was a pain in the $^& but completely worth it. 

The light tan is wood filler and the wet looking parts is where I laid the new glass. 

aa76BXoh.jpg

And all done

2oY73APh.jpg

Very nice.  I hope you got rid of those nasty sneakers too with the rest of the debris?  Are they even sneakers I can't tell? :D Just messing with you, looks awesome.

7 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

The bummer is the 90's chaps are all wood in areas where as early as some 2000 models, the wood (and other materials such as seat fillers) were replaced with materials that don't rot.  I really hope the stringers are ok as boats tend to rot from the stringers up as I've seen.  

Any pics?  If you cut out any plywood sections, don't you have to cut along the center of the stringers so the new replacement piece can sit on solid frame below?  Kind of like laying plywood flooring on joists I would think?