Jump to content
DeewD

Boat and Dog

Recommended Posts

My dog always comes with me whenever I go fishing in my boat. Onc time he jumps out of the water and almost drowns Fyi my dog is a good swimmer but something happens that day that made him not to swim properly. I'm thinking of giving him a life jacket? What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DeewD said:

My dog always comes with me whenever I go fishing in my boat. Onc time he jumps out of the water and almost drowns Fyi my dog is a good swimmer but something happens that day that made him not to swim properly. I'm thinking of giving him a life jacket? What do you think?

Yes, absolutely!  Why not?  If it looked like he struggled a little bit that one time, then play it safe for a while until you find out what happened after you take him to the vet for a checkup.  He could be sick and you don't know it.  But all dogs I've seen love being on the water even if they're not feeling good so yes, follow your instinct and throw one of these on him.

825_Life_vest_dog_web.jpg

 

I'm thinking of getting a vest for my cat and taking him out.  I know he'll love it and he'll be safe.

204415_388208184593027_1868256542_o2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DEFINITELY get a life jacket for the pooch!  not only will they be safer but also gives you an easy handle to grab them by to get them out of the water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a life jacket.  Our 120lb Rottie jumped off the swim platform to play with the ducks.  That was a real fun job getting him back in.  Now he always has his life jacket on when he leaves the cockpit.  The jacket has a handle to help get him up too.  Though, I think the event traumatized him and he has no interest in the ducks anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the same green life jacket for our dog.  She loves it.  When we dock on at one of our local communities, and then walk over to get ice cream or something to eat, she has this alter ego and walks with a "look at me, I'm cool" attitude.  It brings out a funny side of her personality that doesn't exist without the thing on.  Funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The life jacket will help, but you still need the strength to lift the dog up and out of the water, unless you have dog steps for your boat. 

If you don't have the strength to lift the dog out, don't take the dog out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our yellow lab goes with us almost everywhere, when she is in the boat, no life jacket. When she wants to get in the water, life jacket goes on. She is a great swimmer, but the jacket needs to go on to get her back in the boat. It doesnt have handles, but I can kneel on the swim platform and grab the front and rear of her life jacket and lift her in. I imagine wet she weighs around 100 or so. I am sure my wife could not lift her in the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do dogs nails do on a boat? We don't currently have one but in the future likely would get a lab. Obviously they'd have to be trimmed but there's always some nail sticking out if you don't want to harm the quick... Or do you just not let them on the vinyl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, watson524 said:

How do dogs nails do on a boat? We don't currently have one but in the future likely would get a lab. Obviously they'd have to be trimmed but there's always some nail sticking out if you don't want to harm the quick... Or do you just not let them on the vinyl?

Not sure you can have a dog and not have some nail contact with the vinyl.  Even my crazy, dog loving, new to boating, neighbors with no common sense have one single rule on their new boat.  No dogs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have four dogs.  As they age their swimming ability declines.   I put human jackets on them all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely go with the jacket!  If it's a smaller dog, the backstrap handle makes it easy to grab him/her in the water!

_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caution about even big dogs falling overboard.

Watching a 22 ish bowrider loaded with people. ZIIP !! a BIG DOG jumps over the side unnoticed. a good 4' plus high. Boat keeps going for about 150' . Syddenly the screaming starts.  Sounds like 5 people at the loudest posstble.  The dog has already started coming towards me. I keep my eye on his disappearing brown head in very reflective water. I wave & point at the dog. They are zig zagging around. I start for the dog waving & pointing.  .They race over & just miss running him down.

Now the dog is almost staying under every few seconds. Big guy jumps into help the dog stay up. He yells for help with the dog. 2 guys try to help smaller people in the boatto lift him in. NO WAY. The screaming restarts.  I yell.    USE THE BOARDING LADDER AT THE BACK OF THE BOAT. After 2 screams of that  I panic as the driver moves the boat forward with 8 legs kicking around next to the boat. 

All got up the boarding ladder. The dog & guys just laid on the extension.

PRACTICE DOG OVERBOARD WITH THE DOG .  In the water. ALL need to be prepared for a real  rescue.

Only 2 ways to protect the dog. Leave on land. TIE A STRONG LEASH to something he can not get his body over the side. He will choke to death if he hangs by his neck.

Loose dog is trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you guys for giving me a second opinion for having a life jacket for my dog. Upon searching, I saw these dog life jacket which looks great and durable. I'm wondering what could be a good fit for my 2-year-old labrador? Any suggestion?

yellow-labrador_529176.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Curt said:

We have the same green life jacket for our dog.  She loves it.  When we dock on at one of our local communities, and then walk over to get ice cream or something to eat, she has this alter ego and walks with a "look at me, I'm cool" attitude.  It brings out a funny side of her personality that doesn't exist without the thing on.  Funny.

That one even has the flap on the front chest area to help keep the dog's snout out of the water.

10 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

Definitely go with the jacket!  If it's a smaller dog, the backstrap handle makes it easy to grab him/her in the water!

_b.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem lifting that monster out of the water.

9 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Caution about even big dogs falling overboard.

Watching a 22 ish bowrider loaded with people. ZIIP !! a BIG DOG jumps over the side unnoticed. a good 4' plus high. Boat keeps going for about 150' . Syddenly the screaming starts.  Sounds like 5 people at the loudest posstble.  The dog has already started coming towards me. I keep my eye on his disappearing brown head in very reflective water. I wave & point at the dog. They are zig zagging around. I start for the dog waving & pointing.  .They race over & just miss running him down.

Now the dog is almost staying under every few seconds. Big guy jumps into help the dog stay up. He yells for help with the dog. 2 guys try to help smaller people in the boatto lift him in. NO WAY. The screaming restarts.  I yell.    USE THE BOARDING LADDER AT THE BACK OF THE BOAT. After 2 screams of that  I panic as the driver moves the boat forward with 8 legs kicking around next to the boat. 

All got up the boarding ladder. The dog & guys just laid on the extension.

PRACTICE DOG OVERBOARD WITH THE DOG .  In the water. ALL need to be prepared for a real  rescue.

Only 2 ways to protect the dog. Leave on land. TIE A STRONG LEASH to something he can not get his body over the side. He will choke to death if he hangs by his neck.

Loose dog is trouble.

Cool story and good advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one thinks he's an occasional plant.

Dhhf7oeWkAA6zdE.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hatem said:

This one thinks he's an occasional plant.

Dhhf7oeWkAA6zdE.jpg

:yb624::yb624:

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XL one of these for our 100lbs lab:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081XILOU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once we reach our swimming destination for the day, we remove it, since he's more confident being able to put his hind legs on the bottom, and will play in the water for hours. If he can't stand, he starts paddling back to the boat.

Handles on the jacket make it easier to lift him into the boat, but no jacket means I don't have to deal with lifting him into the boat as often. Catch 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

Definitely go with the jacket!  If it's a smaller dog, the backstrap handle makes it easy to grab him/her in the water!

_b.jpg

 

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

That one even has the flap on the front chest area to help keep the dog's snout out of the water.

Shouldn't be a problem lifting that monster out of the water.

 

 

That there is 7.2 pounds of Alpha Male!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dogs all boat with us.  They are part of my family.  My labradoodle goes with me almost every time.  Never had issue with pocking a hole in vinyl.  He gets the run of the boat.  I jump in the river....he follows me in. When piloting, he sits at my feet....usually all 60lbs of him on my feet :)

i also have a lab and a golden doodle.  One is 15 and the other 14.  They have slowed down a ton.  The lab still swims and loves the water.    

CD8B1A92-6EB0-4596-93A8-04E0E3A87640.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Awesome pic, WaterDR.  That face.

22 hours ago, Toddler said:

:yb624::yb624:

 

 

It's like how can you get mad, even after a stunt like that with that face?

Saw this the other day.  I think it's all the Labrador colors.

DhrH10IXcAA3h92.jpg

I thought this one was great.  Getting all those different breeds to sit still like that? 

DhlxjIrW4AAgi5n.jpg

19 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

 

 

That there is 7.2 pounds of Alpha Male!!!

 

 

Savage little beast!  I know my cat is bigger, and my parrot probably weighs more lool.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ex gf always wanted to bring her dogs, problem was that they were 2 full grown Great Danes, not ideal for a 20' bow rider. So imagine 2 horses all up in your face for hours, and they couldn't swim worth a flip.

I did say something about it one time, small complaint if you will, well, one of several reasons she's referred to as an ex now lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic a bit, but we are getting a new puppy on Saturday and I'm wondering what others have done for potty training on board.  I know all about taking the dog to a land side pet area to do it's biz, but has anybody trained their dog to, say pee on the swim platform?  Would be really convenient when cruising, or when the water is too cold to get to the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×