DeewD

Boat and Dog

Put a pan / litter box on the boat. The dog will use it . If you pee into the pan.  It will. 

YOU are the dogs trainer. Show it what the pan is for. Gross ?  No.  You are the role model for the little animal.

I did a pan with sprayed on rubber . On the underside. Prevents sliding. I kept about a 20 pound bag of sand on the boat.

Funny I used the pan about 5 minutes into the cruise. Puppy on the leash sitting next to me. I squat. Do it. He jumps in & does it. Then tugs to go back to deck area. 10 minutes later I do the same routine. He hops in again.

I show a person or animal What I want done.  They learn quickly.

I forget. I did praise the myself after squatting. Then praised him right after he went.  Piece of cake.

3 hours ago, bcboater said:

Off topic a bit, but we are getting a new puppy on Saturday and I'm wondering what others have done for potty training on board.  I know all about taking the dog to a land side pet area to do it's biz, but has anybody trained their dog to, say pee on the swim platform?  Would be really convenient when cruising, or when the water is too cold to get to the beach.

There are a couple of BLOGs that talk about dogs and doing their business on a boat.  I think one them talked about a rug that has been scented by another dog.  Though I dont recall the method to clean and store the throw rug.  

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Put a pan / litter box on the boat. The dog will use it . If you pee into the pan.  It will. 

YOU are the dogs trainer. Show it what the pan is for. Gross ?  No.  You are the role model for the little animal.

I did a pan with sprayed on rubber . On the underside. Prevents sliding. I kept about a 20 pound bag of sand on the boat.

Funny I used the pan about 5 minutes into the cruise. Puppy on the leash sitting next to me. I squat. Do it. He jumps in & does it. Then tugs to go back to deck area. 10 minutes later I do the same routine. He hops in again.

I show a person or animal What I want done.  They learn quickly.

I forget. I did praise the myself after squatting. Then praised him right after he went.  Piece of cake.

There ya go!:tofunny:

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Lmfao.  You didn't actually drop a deuce in the sand box did you? 

My dog is very predictable around her bathroom routine. If i don't feel like stopping to put her on the beach she is trained to d o her business on the swim platform. Pick up the poop and throw it away or wash off the swim platform with water. 

We try to keep our dogs off the vinyl as much as possible. We move cushions around when we have her jump in. Shes pretty exciteable, but very smart. We use some costco rug runners to lay on the fiberglass at the bow, so she can jump from the bed of my truck into the boat, and then lay them on the rear walking areas that arent carpeted so she doesnt slip. Shes part of our family, not leaving her home. And shes a great swimmer. If she jumped in unexpectedly, I could pick her up by the scruff of her neck and tail area to lift her in if needed. She would come to me if called. She would never jump over though, as that means she wouldnt be by us. She always wants to be right with us. I have done it before on my last lab. I bought her lifejacket at Sportsmans Warehouse. Its camo, no lift handle but I pick her up by the collar and rear area of the jacket. Not the best but it works. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and she has a bladder of steel, so bathroom visits for her, not needed. She goes for hours without having to go to the bathroom. I mean like 6 to 8 hrs.

My dogs bladder last 3 times as long as my Girl Friends.... 

Highly recommend this: https://www.nrs.com/product/2140/nrs-cfd-dog-life-jacket

Go to the size chart to find what will work best or call them. I've bought from NRS for whitewater gear and have always been happy to deal with them.

Cyclops- you kill me LOL.:haha-7383:

Thanks everybody.  Lots of useful blogs on the subject.

This one got a little more than he bargained for.

DiVR-EXXkAYnCLF.jpg

This was in Mexico when the Pope visited.  This pooch was like "yo, this crowd is really digging me!" lol

DiQdTqBWAAA6JEi.jpg