DeewD

Boat and Dog

Put a pan / litter box on the boat. The dog will use it . If you pee into the pan.  It will. 

YOU are the dogs trainer. Show it what the pan is for. Gross ?  No.  You are the role model for the little animal.

I did a pan with sprayed on rubber . On the underside. Prevents sliding. I kept about a 20 pound bag of sand on the boat.

Funny I used the pan about 5 minutes into the cruise. Puppy on the leash sitting next to me. I squat. Do it. He jumps in & does it. Then tugs to go back to deck area. 10 minutes later I do the same routine. He hops in again.

I show a person or animal What I want done.  They learn quickly.

I forget. I did praise the myself after squatting. Then praised him right after he went.  Piece of cake.

3 hours ago, bcboater said:

Off topic a bit, but we are getting a new puppy on Saturday and I'm wondering what others have done for potty training on board.  I know all about taking the dog to a land side pet area to do it's biz, but has anybody trained their dog to, say pee on the swim platform?  Would be really convenient when cruising, or when the water is too cold to get to the beach.

There are a couple of BLOGs that talk about dogs and doing their business on a boat.  I think one them talked about a rug that has been scented by another dog.  Though I dont recall the method to clean and store the throw rug.  

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Put a pan / litter box on the boat. The dog will use it . If you pee into the pan.  It will. 

YOU are the dogs trainer. Show it what the pan is for. Gross ?  No.  You are the role model for the little animal.

I did a pan with sprayed on rubber . On the underside. Prevents sliding. I kept about a 20 pound bag of sand on the boat.

Funny I used the pan about 5 minutes into the cruise. Puppy on the leash sitting next to me. I squat. Do it. He jumps in & does it. Then tugs to go back to deck area. 10 minutes later I do the same routine. He hops in again.

I show a person or animal What I want done.  They learn quickly.

I forget. I did praise the myself after squatting. Then praised him right after he went.  Piece of cake.

There ya go!:tofunny:

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Lmfao.  You didn't actually drop a deuce in the sand box did you? 

My dog is very predictable around her bathroom routine. If i don't feel like stopping to put her on the beach she is trained to d o her business on the swim platform. Pick up the poop and throw it away or wash off the swim platform with water. 

We try to keep our dogs off the vinyl as much as possible. We move cushions around when we have her jump in. Shes pretty exciteable, but very smart. We use some costco rug runners to lay on the fiberglass at the bow, so she can jump from the bed of my truck into the boat, and then lay them on the rear walking areas that arent carpeted so she doesnt slip. Shes part of our family, not leaving her home. And shes a great swimmer. If she jumped in unexpectedly, I could pick her up by the scruff of her neck and tail area to lift her in if needed. She would come to me if called. She would never jump over though, as that means she wouldnt be by us. She always wants to be right with us. I have done it before on my last lab. I bought her lifejacket at Sportsmans Warehouse. Its camo, no lift handle but I pick her up by the collar and rear area of the jacket. Not the best but it works. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and she has a bladder of steel, so bathroom visits for her, not needed. She goes for hours without having to go to the bathroom. I mean like 6 to 8 hrs.

Highly recommend this: https://www.nrs.com/product/2140/nrs-cfd-dog-life-jacket

Go to the size chart to find what will work best or call them. I've bought from NRS for whitewater gear and have always been happy to deal with them.

This one got a little more than he bargained for.

DiVR-EXXkAYnCLF.jpg

This was in Mexico when the Pope visited.  This pooch was like "yo, this crowd is really digging me!" lol

DiQdTqBWAAA6JEi.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, OCMD2 said:

Definitely go with the jacket!  If it's a smaller dog, the backstrap handle makes it easy to grab him/her in the water!

_b.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:47 AM, Hatem said:

Yes, absolutely!  Why not?  If it looked like he struggled a little bit that one time, then play it safe for a while until you find out what happened after you take him to the vet for a checkup.  He could be sick and you don't know it.  But all dogs I've seen love being on the water even if they're not feeling good so yes, follow your instinct and throw one of these on him.

I'm thinking of getting a vest for my cat and taking him out.  I know he'll love it and he'll be safe.

204415_388208184593027_1868256542_o2.jpg

Instead of starting a new thread and since this one is one a year old, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get that same EXACT vest for a cat?  My Ollie looks exactly like that cat in the pic he's a lilac point Siamese and is somewhat thin and small and I know for a fact he would LOVE being on the boat with us and I would like to offer him that experience.  If anyone knows where I could find life vest for my little furry buddy, I would much much much appreciate it. They obviously exist either that or whomever is in the pic had that custom-made and I'm willing to do that as well.

He's always on the boat whenever I'm working on it and even tried sticking his head out the anchor locker while I was installing it!

RgKlcP7.jpg

uHpyXPY.jpg

Hangs out with me all the time like he's my shadow.  I know he'll love to experience the boat and we'll take it easy and see how he handles it.  If he freaks then I'll just take him back home.  But being the same type or cat as in that pic above I posted and judging by his personality, I bet he'd love it and a small dog vest might work.

Have all the vests piled up on the floor. Have each person ALLOW YOU to put the jacket on them. LASTLY  Put your jacket on. The animal will PROBABLY accept the jacket. It helps if his jacket is very similar color.  Some cats are very stubborn. That is why you bring the travel cage with you. Animal refuses 3 times ?  Right. Into the cage for the trip. NO Oh kitty I am so sorry crap to confuse the cat. Leave it alone. About 1 hour later. Stop boat.  ALL remove jackets . Stack on top of animal jacket

Redo the jacket put on sequence. Still resists ?  Leave it home.  Safer for cat & everybody can enjoy the outing. Some animals are not trainable.

15 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Have all the vests piled up on the floor. Have each person ALLOW YOU to put the jacket on them. LASTLY  Put your jacket on. The animal will PROBABLY accept the jacket. It helps if his jacket is very similar color.  Some cats are very stubborn. That is why you bring the travel cage with you. Animal refuses 3 times ?  Right. Into the cage for the trip. NO Oh kitty I am so sorry crap to confuse the cat. Leave it alone. About 1 hour later. Stop boat.  ALL remove jackets . Stack on top of animal jacket

Redo the jacket put on sequence. Still resists ?  Leave it home.  Safer for cat & everybody can enjoy the outing. Some animals are not trainable.

I had no idea you responded to this thread or my quote for that matter.  Please, Clops, use the quote function next time so I get notified. 

Believe me, my cat (Ollie) is not the typical cat who's afraid of water.  He's like the Siamese in those pics.

I'll have to check West Marine and see if they have any small dog vests like @OCMD2's and if it needs a little modification, I'm sure we can handle that.

Well one of the websites I asked actually called me back today while I was at work and said they have exactly what I need for my little bugaboogaboogah, so I am really psyched about that and I'll be ordering one later today.  

On 7/15/2019 at 2:01 PM, Hatem said:

Well one of the websites I asked actually called me back today while I was at work and said they have exactly what I need for my little bugaboogaboogah, so I am really psyched about that and I'll be ordering one later today.  

Did you get the vest?  How did it work out?

5 hours ago, OCMD2 said:

Did you get the vest?  How did it work out?

Well, interesting that you asked because I did order it and that might've been a mistake because I took my little guy out to the marina so he can hang with me on the boat and get acclimated to it (he's climbed into it many times in the driveway) so he knows it,  but the second I let him out of his transport cage, he was looking for the gate (which I had shut) and wanted to get off as fast as possible.  So I kinda consoled him a bit and took him around the boat to familiarize himself that he should know it's the same one that was in the driveway and first thing he did was this!

hdcZIHG.jpg

So obviously he was looking for either a run off the boat or somewhere to hide.  Once he came out of the engine compartment, he jumped into the center ski locker which I don't know if you know, on the 276 is pretty huge and went all the way forward and hid between the holding tank and the end bulkhead.  I did tell this story on another thread BTW but I don't mind repeating it since it's petty funny.  I left the door open so he could come out but not a single meow and would not move from that position.

Is he the cutest thing ever or what? lol.  And a busy body so I figured he loves to go on rides with me in my truck so maybe he'll like the boat once he gets used to the noise and movement etc. and we anchor near a beach and play with him etc.

4UXWTB1.jpg

Finally after about 45 minutes he started meowing and moved out of that slot, so I put him in his transport cage, wrapped the canvass and took him home.  A few days later, my wife and I decide to take the boat out and she needed to use the head, goes in, turns on the vacuum switch and suddenly we thought we dropped the boat in a sewer pipe!  The stink was bad and I didn't understand since the indicator light was on green and the thing was barely used.  So I flushed a couple of time, she sprayed her perfume but the second I opened the ski locker to get one of my fishing rods or the hook or something, the stench came barreling out!! lol.  So I told my wife sounds like we need a pumpout of something is blocking the vent hose.  A day later I'm at the marina and I called the pumpout guy he said 10 minutes he'll be there but then I thought to myself, Ollie was down there and maybe he inadvertently did something to the tank.  So I got down there and slid all the way to the end of the tank to look at the hoses coming from the head to the tank and sure enough, the vent hose was disconnected from the tank! :D  He must've rubber his nose (like cats like to do on your legs or on cabinet doors etc.) and because I had taken the tank out during winterization and forgot to tighten the hose clamp when I put it back in clean with a little antifreeze, his little rub was enough to pull it right out of the tank.  Grabbed a screwdriver, clipped the hose to the tank and tightened the hose clamp and went to the head and turned on the vacuum button and then flushed and no smell loool. So I still got it pumped out even though the guy told me there was barely a couple of gallons of waste in there.

I'll post a pic of the vest when it gets here and we'll try to take him out and see how it goes being prepared to come back quickly if he really, really doesn't like it.  I'm sure once I crank the 8.1 he's not gonna be very happy so we might have to leave him in the transport cage for a while and just try to work with him with as much as he gives us.  Certainly don't want to force him into doing something he doesn't want to do.  He's my buddy.