RAL

Tilt Guage

My tilt gauge needle is stuck on the up position.   Tilt works fine it’s just the needle.  Anything I could check myself?

15 minutes ago, RAL said:

My tilt gauge needle is stuck on the up position.   Tilt works fine it’s just the needle.  Anything I could check myself?

Almost always this is the trim sender on the drive unit.  Mine hasn't worked for 4 years, but it's really no big deal since you can feel it when you trim.  The drive needs to be pulled to properly change out the sender.  Something to do next time you have the drive pulled if it's important to you (full disclosure, mine is being replaced this week because I had to have the drive pulled and the trim is important to my new VesselView 4 system).

You can unplug the two wires on top of the engine that go from the trim position sender to the gauge and jump them.  If the gauge still doesn't move, it's the gauge.  My gauge was bad.  But, I can't recall if my gauge was pegged in the up position or the down position.  Some searching will tell you the likelihood of it being the gauge vs. sending unit based upon gauge position.  If trouble shooting points toward the sending unit, can also take it apart and check for corrosion on the contacts.  Often it's a broken wire requiring sending unit replacement, but sometimes just the contacts.  Replacing the sending unit is a pain, more so on some models.  

You would think there would be a more servicable solution to the trim sender.  Something that doesn't require drive removal.  Then again, it is recommended to pull drives and check alignment on a periodic basis.  So you should have opportunity to swap out sender.  I got my starboard gauge working this spring.  Both gauges read low position.  One wire on starbord positioner was broken off the sender.  So I could see a no reading makes sense.  I'd try disconnecting both wires where they plug into harness at the engine and see if gauge changes.  

1 hour ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Almost always this is the trim sender on the drive unit.  Mine hasn't worked for 4 years, but it's really no big deal since you can feel it when you trim.  The drive needs to be pulled to properly change out the sender.  Something to do next time you have the drive pulled if it's important to you (full disclosure, mine is being replaced this week because I had to have the drive pulled and the trim is important to my new VesselView 4 system).

On an 2008, the digital trim limit switch on the port side of the drive is a 3 wire unit. Upon replacement, the new retrofit kit comes with a blank-off cap for the starboard side, and a three wire tapered seal for the transom plate. When you land the wires at the back of the engine you use the one lead marked digital trim, and the other for trim limit. These can be replaced without removing the drive as long as you pull a fish wire through the transom plate when you are pulling out the old wires. The new digital 3 wire units I've replaced have not failed as yest and some are approaching 7 years so I think the seals are just a better design. Also, tell the boat yard to go easy with the pressure washer in the area of the gimbel ring as I've seen many that were working until the boat was pulled and "cleaned" for winter storage.  W

Mercury OEM Trim Sender Sensor Assembly 863187A1 Smartcraft

5 hours ago, Wingnut said:

On an 2008, the digital trim limit switch on the port side of the drive is a 3 wire unit. Upon replacement, the new retrofit kit comes with a blank-off cap for the starboard side, and a three wire tapered seal for the transom plate. When you land the wires at the back of the engine you use the one lead marked digital trim, and the other for trim limit. These can be replaced without removing the drive as long as you pull a fish wire through the transom plate when you are pulling out the old wires. The new digital 3 wire units I've replaced have not failed as yest and some are approaching 7 years so I think the seals are just a better design. Also, tell the boat yard to go easy with the pressure washer in the area of the gimbel ring as I've seen many that were working until the boat was pulled and "cleaned" for winter storage.  W

Hmmm....he ordered part number 8M0095310

15 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Look at this link.  It appears the part number you referenced is an old number?

https://www.marineengineparts.com/mercury-marine-8m0095310-trim-sender-assembly

That's actually the first design which is paired with the analog starboard side puck. The give away is the transom seal, as the one you referenced is a 1/2 moon and the one on my link is a full moon. If you look at the photo you will see the block-off plate that replaces the starboard puck.  W