Sign in to follow this  
Cycleman07

Impellar Housing

I am having my impellar replaced for the first time and have a question.  I have 2 different quotes, one says if the housing is scored but is plastic the total cost parts and labor would be $380.00.  They said if the housing is brass and is scored it would be over $1000.00.  Without looking at the housing is there any way I can tell if its brass or plastic.  This is a freshwater boat sold in Oklahoma.  

Specifics:

2013 Chaparral Sunesta 284

8.2l Mercruiser (502 Big Block)

Thanks in advance for your replies.  

10 minutes ago, Cycleman07 said:

I am having my impellar replaced for the first time and have a question.  I have 2 different quotes, one says if the housing is scored but is plastic the total cost parts and labor would be $380.00.  They said if the housing is brass and is scored it would be over $1000.00.  Without looking at the housing is there any way I can tell if its brass or plastic.  This is a freshwater boat sold in Oklahoma.  

Specifics:

2013 Chaparral Sunesta 284

8.2l Mercruiser (502 Big Block)

Thanks in advance for your replies.  

Yours is brass, but your mechanic is worried about the end plates being scored. This can be an issue if you are in the habit of using your skeg for a depth finder and allow the pump to ingest sand. That said, I think your mechanic is missing an important point and likely has not worked on many 8.2's yet. Merc upgraded their design and now the end plates are replaceable on those pumps so no need to replace a $1,000 dollar pump if the plates are scratched as you just change out the plates. Even on the older models from the 8.1's I do a red brass weld overlay to save those housings. New bearings, seals, shaft, and impeller and they are good to go for another ten years, with an occasional impeller change. Bearings and seals seem to be good for about 400 hours.   Likely on a 2013, it will end up being a simple impeller change anyway.   Item #13 per attachment  For that matter, if anyone has an old 8.1 Merc pump laying around that is grooved, I want it.  W

Merc 8.2 Sea Water Pump

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=95920

Hardin Marine also makes a replaceable end plate pump, but is a polished S/S pump.

I had to replace 2 of the plastic bodies within 3 years of buying the boat (both needed replacing from scoring or cracks).  I got the S/S Hardin. The pump is now 7 years old and I've only replaced the worn end plates once. Pump body is still fine.

So they got to the water pump to replace the impellar and guess what....I need a new water pump.  they said it was scored and grooved out all over the place.  Need to start a go fund me for the $1200 this is going to cost. 

5 hours ago, Cycleman07 said:

So they got to the water pump to replace the impellar and guess what....I need a new water pump.  they said it was scored and grooved out all over the place.  Need to start a go fund me for the $1200 this is going to cost. 

I'll buy the old one if that helps.   Stay out of the sand with your new one or it will look the same in less than a minute.  W

34 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

I'll buy the old one if that helps.   Stay out of the sand with your new one or it will look the same in less than a minute.  W

I may take you up on that. Yeah, no more beaching the boat from now on. 

Beach bow in and keep the outdrive trimmed up as you back out. I've been doing it that way for years with no issues. 

20 minutes ago, Cycleman07 said:

I may take you up on that. Yeah, no more beaching the boat from now on. 

The pump can handle a little sand/water mix, but when the discharge hose starts to get backed up with sand, a handful gets packed up in the pump cavity with nowhere to go and it tears up the housing in a hurry. The choke point is the tube side inlet of the heat exchanger on closed loop systems.  W

I backed a little to far into a muck & sandy spot. Fantastic virgin 2002 Alpha impellor & housing toast as it struggled to power out.  It was only 14 years old. A baby !!

Backing up is much more practical, though, for obvious reasons.  Much tougher to access your boat via the bow than the swim platform.

I noticed some guys here will pull forward close enough, shut her down, jump out and spin her by hand.

19 hours ago, Cycleman07 said:

Take a look at those Hardin Pumps. http://www.cpperformance.com/c-132-mercury-sea-pumps.aspx

The S/S 8.1 one is only 412 bux.

22 hours ago, Cycleman07 said:

$1,200 seems high.  The pump is about $450.  About an hour and a half labor.

1 local marina provides a small airplane ladder bolted to the floating docks for easy bow in docking & boarding. Looks odd. But very nice on none ESP high sided boats. The boats have 2 removable  S S posts plugged into gunnel surface. Then a 2 or 3 step box inside the hull. So easy for handicapped people.

5 hours ago, Wingnut said:

But it won't fit his 8.2.

Wing I have an 8.1 Merc and last week had a leak at the bearing seal of the sea water pump.  Luckily I had an old one with pulley and just did a swap.  The older pump was scored a bit but has been working well so far.  I plan on trying to replace but the price for new is 500 bucks.  How did you rebuild yours.  Motor is a 2002 Horizon 8.1l merc.  Thanks

2 minutes ago, alka2710 said:

Wing I have an 8.1 Merc and last week had a leak at the bearing seal of the sea water pump.  Luckily I had an old one with pulley and just did a swap.  The older pump was scored a bit but has been working well so far.  I plan on trying to replace but the price for new is 500 bucks.  How did you rebuild yours.  Motor is a 2002 Horizon 8.1l merc.  Thanks

I take the stern side end plate (hose connecting manifold) and do a weld overlay with red brass. I find the replacement clad material to be far harder than the bronze OEM castings. I then machine the built-up surface dead flat. I then press off the drive pulley from the impeller shaft, and drive out the bearings and seals. Older ones are a simple press fit, and the newer ones include a snap ring behind the outer seal. I then clear the area of the front plate with a cup brush covered with scotch brite and use my drill press to polish the deep scratches until they shine like new. I then melt silver solder into the scratches allowing it to self level. I then machine that area dead flat, install new bearings and seals, and tell the owner to stop using his skeg as a depth finder. There is an aftermarket kit that includes drop in replaceable wear plates, but it requires the use of an impeller that is 1/16" shorter than stock. For me, I don't like the idea of reducing available pump volume right out of the gate. The Harden Stainless pump has a bigger bearing set and larger diameter shaft, but uses the stock impeller and has replaceable stainless end plates.  W

https://goo.gl/images/UcGNj4

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-15774-stainless-steel-gen-7-sea-pump-for-mercury-350-496-and-502-mag.aspx

https://www.ebay.com/i/262735979625?chn=ps

Thanks very interesting information.  Thanks for the detailed info.  A little bit more than I am capable of.  Would you recommend the Hardin pump over stock.  its only a few bucks more. 

Al

19 hours ago, Wingnut said:

But it won't fit his 8.2.

My bad. I fat fingered. It is for 8.2, not 8.1

The change I did to the Hardin was almost as good as adding the Trim Tabs, but my pump was plastic. Since yours is bronze, I would think it would not be as drastic of an improvement, but I think the S/S would be superior to the bronze for longevity.

Keep in mind, you will need to get the one with the pulley, which is four ninety five, or swap out your pulley to it.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16817-stainless-steel-gen-7-sea-pump-for-mercury-350-mag-496-mag-ho-82l-mag-and-502-mag-with-pulley.aspx

15 hours ago, alka2710 said:

Thanks very interesting information.  Thanks for the detailed info.  A little bit more than I am capable of.  Would you recommend the Hardin pump over stock.  its only a few bucks more. 

Al

The Harden has replaceable end plates, but I've yet to hear of one that ever needed them. The stainless alloy is pretty stout. Larger bearings, seals, and shaft so you would need to get repair parts directly from Harden in the future, with the exception of the impeller and case o-ring. As Pops said, you would want the one with the pulley as the stock pulley can be a bear to get off the old pump.  W