Sign in to follow this  
gwscot2

Replacement Drain Plug

Hey guys, looking for a replacement drain plug since my current one is getting a little worn (plus always good to have a spare). Below are two pictures of it. My plug has a connection for the oil drain hose that is on the engine. 

Emailed Joe at Cecil Marine and he said they don't stock anything like this.

Thanks in advance. 

Greg

IMG_2944_zpsoicuasid.jpgIMG_2945_zps9nijzqbg.jpg

Looks like a 1/2" pipe thread standard bilge drain plug.  Yours has a wire thingy to keep it from getting dropped in the lake.  Oil drain connection?  Probably not.  Get a brass or stainless 1/2" NPT plug from the marine or hardware store.

2 minutes ago, Mod51Geezer said:

Looks like a 1/2" pipe thread standard bilge drain plug.  Yours has a wire thingy to keep it from getting dropped in the lake.  Oil drain connection?  Probably not.  Get a brass or stainless 1/2" NPT plug from the marine or hardware store.

It's connected to a long black hose that has a cap on the end. Unscrew the cap and the engine oil will flow out. I believe they thought it would make a easy way to drain the oil when doing maintenance. I've done it before when winterizing. 

OK now I get it. Most oil drains get sucked upward from the dipstick tube via a garden hose thread.  So find a pipe plug (not steel) and either weld the cable end to it or drill and tap a small machine screw and attach the cable piece.

It is a standard NPT pipe plug. A brass one from a big box home / auto store or the hardware store is easy to tap for a retainer screw.

Never really liked the idea of the wire tether to the drain hose. Twisting the plug into the hole also twists and tangles the tether wire. Don't see how it would last very long if plug is pulled often on a trailered boat.  

Heck, you could even have a couple of PVC plastic ones on board for emergency spares, as there is no real strain put on them and only plug the hole to keep near zero pressure water out.  Just be sure to use some Teflon tape on the plug, no matter what material it's made of, plastic / bronze / brass / S/S. (Just don't use steel, of course)

Mine are brass with a square head, Don't see to many hex-head ones. They are pretty standand with most boats, you could stop by any boat dealer or WM type store that has a boating section. 

When mine is out I tape it to the helm

image_zpsjqnnolnv.jpg.498fe42b63f66b0e6252e53d59c6f0e6.jpg

Cant forget it if  its still at the helm (orange electrical tape)

Remove the plug from the hose and route the hose up next to the oil res bottle.Connect the oil pump directly to the hose to change the oil.Hardware store for a spare brass plug

Another dumb engineering disaster having to pull the boat, pull the drain plug to change the oil.

I don't have the oil change tube but this came with my boat. I can try and find the part number if you like.

IMG_0645a.jpg

My drain plug only comes out if a ranger ask me to verify a dry bilge at the ramp (mussel control). Then it goes right back in.  

4 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

Remove the plug from the hose and route the hose up next to the oil res bottle.Connect the oil pump directly to the hose to change the oil.Hardware store for a spare brass plug

Another dumb engineering disaster having to pull the boat, pull the drain plug to change the oil.

I installed a turbo oil pump in my boat (bought off FleaBay for 45 or 60 bux, if I remember correctly) and connected the oil pan hose to it. Plop the discharge hose from the pump into a big jug and the pump emptied the pan in less than a minute when oil is cold.

Problem solved. No more slooooooow drain through the hose / transom. Works perfect if still in the water.....