Scott Roberts

Ski & Fish onboard battery charger

17 hours ago, paulswagelock said:

The 3 bank charger should be hard wired to each battery + and -.  If the battery charger wires were too short they might have used some sort of junction to make it the rest of the way.

This. I bet your second trolling motor battery is not being charged and therefore had died from use. Make sure every battery has charge leads on both terminals.

Thanks. I don't recall seeing it connected to the batteries at all - just the normal battery cables - which is odd. I mean, why would it come from the factory without it connected? I'll check again this weekend when I get the boat back and reply back.

Nice boat, btw. :-)

Here are some pictures of the batteries, junction point and onboard charger. I checked the connections and everything seems to be connected right. And, something I didn't noticed until I just looked at one of the pictures. There is a thermal circuit breaker that the positive cables connect to. I have a feeling it's been tripped. I'll check that tonight. (I'm at work right now.)Junction.jpg.425472c474850f9bb52f9e522c7d58fa.jpgOnBoardCharger.jpg.c9426511c65dfe6827e9cd3d0035ea99.jpgTrollingMotorBatteries.jpg.8c52ae381b162a5903ba606957c98737.jpgTrollingMotorCircuitBreaker.jpg.25f2cbbd84f0533198a3a9493582d111.jpg

Your charger will handle two batteries.  The two batteries pictured are wired in series for 24 volts, and provide power for the trolling motor.  Given one is dead:

(a)  The battery failed and won't accept a charge,

(b)  The charger is not able to charge your battery configuration, or an in-line fuse is blown,

(c)  There is a loose connection somewhere,

(d)  The wiring has been changed/was installed wrong originally,

(e)  The charger is defective, or

(f)  The breaker tripped, or is defective. 

Reviewing each:

(a)  Can be ruled out if you've now charged the battery, and the charge is holding. 

(b)  Is ruled out because this charger is suitable for your system.  The two red leads have fuses along with one of the yellow leads.  Check each.  I suspect you have a bad fuse given one battery didn't charge. 

(c)  You'll have to rule this out by tracing each wire and checking each connection, including battery terminals.  Also wiggle each terminal where the wire enters and is clamped.  Perhaps one is bent and the connection has become broken or intermittent.

(d)  If the system charged normally in prior years, perhaps when winterized this past fall something was left disconnected; or if this battery never charged, it's likely something was missed when the boat was built. 

(e)  This charger has a self test.  If the green light is illuminated steady, the charger is good and everything is wired correctly.  You'll have to rule this in or out.

(f)  The thermal breaker/switch has not tripped (the yellow flag is not visible).  But, push the red button to trip it, and then reset the yellow flag.  No harm doing this a few times.  The cable with what appears to be a 90-degree upward bend is something to check closely.  In general, severe bends should be avoided as they tend to break.  (I don't believe this is the issue, as both batteries would be dead.)

Regarding your 7/13 post, in an aftermarket installation the leads from the charger would route direct to each battery.  Given this was installed by Chaparral, the cables are routed to a terminal/remote connection.  Your first picture is the terminal.  The in-line fuses referred to in (b) are a few inches from the terminal.

P.S.  If all of the above checks-out, it's time for a multimeter.

Hi everyone. Thanks a lot for all the tips. After reading all your tips and the manual, I have figured out that the charger was not connected correctly. Either it came that way from the factory or the dealer changed it. I don’t know exactly. After connecting it correctly to the batteries, it now works and the batteries are fully charged.

Thanks again for all the help. You are all awesome, very helpful and very friendly which is unusual in today’s world of social media. I really appreciate all the help.

This site is owned by L'oreal.  We are all worth it.    :haha-7383: