Hatem

Anyone have these?

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

That's great.  It seems like everyone who has them is really happy with them.  The headache of pulling and hanging fenders every time is really the ultimate reason for looking into these.  Making docking less stressful is a bonus.

I'm not sure if people are allowed to leave them all year in our marina like yours.  Where are you out of?  I only ask because we have brutal winters with noreasters galore and snow storms in feet and ice build-ups and all that fun stuff where those things would probably take a beating.  But we'll be heading out today so I'll definitely ask about that.  Thx! 

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed your Great Lakes location.  So yeah, you get those brutal winters too.  That'll be interesting to see if our marina allows that. 

My marina allows as long as we remove them at the end of each season. No big deal - 7 or 8 stainless wood screws each side and it’s done. 

When I made a slip change at the previous marina I was at, the previous boater left this type of bumper on vertical posts. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--premium-dock-post-bumpers--P005_157_006_004?recordNum=12

These worked great as it was a fixed dock and handled the boat well as the lake level changed.  

When I left the marina, I took them with me. The current slip I'm in[floating] has the crappy strip that Hatem has and has put some nasty smudge marks on the boat. Better than nothing. But I haven't figured out how to install these over the strip. The wood plank isn't big enough for both. 

What's also aggravating is the slip is really too small for my boat. I have to darn near clip my neighbor so that I can enter slowly and not crash into the dock. There is no room for error. 

18 hours ago, SST said:

When I made a slip change at the previous marina I was at, the previous boater left this type of bumper on vertical posts. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--premium-dock-post-bumpers--P005_157_006_004?recordNum=12

These worked great as it was a fixed dock and handled the boat well as the lake level changed.  

When I left the marina, I took them with me.

Dang, lucky.  $500 worth of those dock cushions for free?  I looked closely yesterday at the brand of the ones in the opening post pics and they're Overtons. 

18 hours ago, SST said:

The current slip I'm in[floating] has the crappy strip that Hatem has and has put some nasty smudge marks on the boat. Better than nothing. But I haven't figured out how to install these over the strip. The wood plank isn't big enough for both. 

Definitely better than nothing since you're better off bumping into that strip than that pressure treated lumber with sharp, square edges.  I have some remnants of a 1" long dock splinter somewhere in the ball of my right foot that I haven't been able to get out yet until I break out the scalpel and do some surgery to find it! lol

18 hours ago, SST said:

What's also aggravating is the slip is really too small for my boat. I have to darn near clip my neighbor so that I can enter slowly and not crash into the dock. There is no room for error. 

Funny I have the opposite problem.  This slip is looooooooooooooooooooooong.  But I don't think that has any adverse affect on us TBH.

Interestingly enough, a few slips down the line from us are another couple who've had this 280 Sea Ray for many years and have had a for sale sign on it for just as long and every time the guy sees me he says "it's still for sale" and I've gotten so annoyed that he can't tell I'm not interested at all lol.  Very happy with the 276 ATM but it never fails.  Then yesterday he must've finally sold it because as we're sitting in the boat cillin' and swingin' and watching everyone else in the marina, this guy pulls up in a 2005-2008 35ft Cruisers!  I couldn't believe the size of this thing.  I asked his wife if they needed a hand with the lines and she said they were fine since someone else was waiting for them already.  But I watched this guy barely have enough room to turn, using both throttles and bow thrusters, then back into the PT piling, bumped it a little while she tried to push off it but nothing lmao!  I give her a ton of credit for braving that and trying but that is just too much boat and you're not going to push jack squat no matter how strong you are.  But once he was lined up, he went right in, taking full advantage of those dock cushions.  Rubbed up against the side ones and let the end ones stop his momentum backing up.  So I guess some people just use these things literally as stopping bumpers to bounce off of, especially when their boat's beam is barely less than the width of the slip!  

21 hours ago, Further said:

My marina allows as long as we remove them at the end of each season. No big deal - 7 or 8 stainless wood screws each side and it’s done. 

Awesome.  Don't forget you owe me a few pics.  :)

My previous fixed slip was for a 30 footer. Lots of room for error but that caused its own problems too.  Tomorrow I'm going to stop in the office and see what the next size up is and if its available.

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

Dang, lucky.  $500 worth of those dock cushions for free?  I looked closely yesterday at the brand of the ones in the opening post pics and they're Overtons. 

Definitely better than nothing since you're better off bumping into that strip than that pressure treated lumber with sharp, square edges.  I have some remnants of a 1" long dock splinter somewhere in the ball of my right foot that I haven't been able to get out yet until I break out the scalpel and do some surgery to find it! lol

Funny I have the opposite problem.  This slip is looooooooooooooooooooooong.  But I don't think that has any adverse affect on us TBH.

Interestingly enough, a few slips down the line from us are another couple who've had this 280 Sea Ray for many years and have had a for sale sign on it for just as long and every time the guy sees me he says "it's still for sale" and I've gotten so annoyed that he can't tell I'm not interested at all lol.  Very happy with the 276 ATM but it never fails.  Then yesterday he must've finally sold it because as we're sitting in the boat cillin' and swingin' and watching everyone else in the marina, this guy pulls up in a 2005-2008 35ft Cruisers!  I couldn't believe the size of this thing.  I asked his wife if they needed a hand with the lines and she said they were fine since someone else was waiting for them already.  But I watched this guy barely have enough room to turn, using both throttles and bow thrusters, then back into the PT piling, bumped it a little while she tried to push off it but nothing lmao!  I give her a ton of credit for braving that and trying but that is just too much boat and you're not going to push jack squat no matter how strong you are.  But once he was lined up, he went right in, taking full advantage of those dock cushions.  Rubbed up against the side ones and let the end ones stop his momentum backing up.  So I guess some people just use these things literally as stopping bumpers to bounce off of, especially when their boat's beam is barely less than the width of the slip!  

Awesome.  Don't forget you owe me a few pics.  :)

Sorry, havin a time getting photos to post on this forum.... Really could be upgraded considering the usability of other forums i'm on is sooooo much better.  Anyway, see the attached link for an idea of how I'm using the hull huggr's.  I got some stainless washers and wood screws and just screwed it into the finger dock and let it hang down.  I installed them towards the stern up to about midway so I only need one length on each side and the ropes keep the bow from hitting the docks.  Then I've got the thicker single 36" at the bow/head of my slip installed the same way....

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p598/David_Chesky/C224C554-B524-4F9A-9BC6-39206EE172FF.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

18 hours ago, Further said:

Sorry, havin a time getting photos to post on this forum.... Really could be upgraded considering the usability of other forums i'm on is sooooo much better.  Anyway, see the attached link for an idea of how I'm using the hull huggr's.  I got some stainless washers and wood screws and just screwed it into the finger dock and let it hang down.  I installed them towards the stern up to about midway so I only need one length on each side and the ropes keep the bow from hitting the docks.  Then I've got the thicker single 36" at the bow/head of my slip installed the same way....

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p598/David_Chesky/C224C554-B524-4F9A-9BC6-39206EE172FF.jpg

Yeah, this forum has sucked on so many levels for a couple of years now.  Definitely needs an update in software because it really sucks compared to other ones out there like you said.  First thing they need to do is upgrade the picture sizing and then people wouldn't need any hosting sites and can just upload from their own pictures albums.  It's a boating forum for crying out loud and people are having a tough time posting pic of their boats? 

But thanks for the effort anyway.  I can see what you did on that link.  Wondering why PB isn't allowing direct linking of that pic?