Hatem

Anyone have these?

The couple in the adjacent slip to ours have these pretty cool, dock fenders that I think they mounted themselves.  So do another pair with that blue Sea Ray with the flag in the 2nd pic.

I was wondering if anyone here has them and where did you get them and how expensive they are etc.  Seems like one of those great features to consider since it eliminates the whole hassle of pulling out your fenders and tying them on every time you dock the boat, not to mention the relief of not having to worry about dinging and scratching up the hull & finish.

rDVT38a.jpg

n41nc4u.jpg

Dont have them but have seen them before and want them for the slip.  Subscribed to hear where you can get them. 

Not too pricey really as I would only need 1 for the front of our boat when in the slip.  The lift guides keep me from bumping side to side.  Be very helpful though when the boat is lowered and people are loading/unloading from the front. 

42 minutes ago, Cycleman07 said:

Dont have them but have seen them before and want them for the slip.  Subscribed to hear where you can get them. 

TP nailing it right off the bat!

Yeah I'm getting tired of the whole pulling out the fenders thing and I agree, they're not bad price - wise if they actually do the job and don't fall apart etc.  

Those people's boat is like a 35' sports fisherman so they needed a lot of them it seems.  

2 at the end and maybe 4 on the side should do the trick for me, I think.

I would imagine if you space them for your boat you wouldn’t need to line the entire dock undoes your really bad at docking. 

20 minutes ago, rjbergen said:

I would imagine if you space them for your boat you wouldn’t need to line the entire dock undoes your really bad at docking. 

Lol.  Good point.  Plus if you use them, like really use them, you'll likely lose some of the docking skills you've worked so hard to hone.  Next thing you know you're plowing into gas and restaurant docks.

22 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Thanks, TP.  Gonna order a few of the 4-footers for sure. 

The problem with this kinda thing is while it works great for the 4-1/2 months of boating, you need a lot of space to store all this crap during the winter.  That's the drag about this specific item is that it's bulky and takes up a lot of storage space.  But I think it's worth it.  Last week the current took me a bit into the dock and that rubber guide they have attached to the edge left a 1 foot white gooey skid on the side of the boat.  Just happened to be the area between the front and middle fenders we had out.  It came off with a lot of hand rubbing and a couple blisters but it was a pain in the $^&.

Just keep them clean as dirt and marine growth accumulation acts just like sand paper on shiny gel coat.  Always an issue with fenders that stay in place.  W

26 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Just keep them clean as dirt and marine growth accumulation acts just like sand paper on shiny gel coat.  Always an issue with fenders that stay in place.  W

Marine growth gets up that high, W?  What do they jump out of the water?

Reminds me of "artillery mulch".  Ever see that crap?  They're stubborn, little, basterd dots that shoot just like mortar or artillery fire (hence the name) from the sun right off of black mulch and can get up as high as 8ft.  And they stick to house siding and even cars and are a pain in the $^& to rub off.  Didn't know marine growth had the same capability?!

7 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Marine growth gets up that high, W?  What do they jump out of the water?

Reminds me of "artillery mulch".  Ever see that crap?  They're stubborn, little, basterd dots that shoot just like mortar or artillery fire (hence the name) from the sun right off of black mulch and can get up as high as 8ft.  And they stick to house siding and even cars and are a pain in the $^& to rub off.  Didn't know marine growth had the same capability?!

Wisdom is defined as knowing what you don't know. W

23 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Wisdom is defined as knowing what you don't know. W

Ha.  Good advice as usual, thanks.  I'll hose them down with my new, collapsible hose I bought a few weeks ago.  Never cared much for those things around the house but for the marina, they're great.  50' hose ends up collapsing to around 10' and much easier to coil on the stand.  Plus its softer, cloth wrapping doesn't leave 'rubber hose' marks on the boat.  Makes flushing much easier.

I like horizontal cylinder bumpers with rope hole at each end. I tie them to the docks below the water line. Just enough slack lines to prevent the fenders from jumping on to the dock in a storm or a huge wake.

21 hours ago, Further said:

I've got one 3' installed along the front and used the 7.5' x 15" hull hugr's on each side towards the stern.  Really works nicely to keep the hull protected and I don't have to use bumpers....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY0AE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SMDQWAY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those hull hugr's are pretty wild.  They look like one, giant square fender but you still have to hang them off your boat, don't you?  Do you leave them at the dock or take them with you?

18 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Those hull hugr's are pretty wild.  They look like one, giant square fender but you still have to hang them off your boat, don't you?  Do you leave them at the dock or take them with you?

I think you're looking at the wrong ones....  They've got the wrong picture on amazon actually - the hull hugr's i'm using are 7.5 ' long by 15" wide so i hung them along the finger dock on both sides of my slip and my boat fits in nicely in between.  I'll take some photos this weekend and post em.

5 minutes ago, Further said:

I think you're looking at the wrong ones....  They've got the wrong picture on amazon actually - the hull hugr's i'm using are 7.5 ' long by 15" wide so i hung them along the finger dock on both sides of my slip and my boat fits in nicely in between.  I'll take some photos this weekend and post em.

Ah, ok.  That makes much more sense because these here in the first link:

51SMniEX-NL.jpg

They look like they hang on the boat all day.  Probably better for water taxis. 

But the other ones in your 2nd link look exactly like the ones in my first post and in TP's links.  I'm just tired of dealing with fenders.  They're a royal pain in the A$$.

21 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Ah, ok.  That makes much more sense because these here in the first link:

51SMniEX-NL.jpg

They look like they hang on the boat all day.  Probably better for water taxis. 

But the other ones in your 2nd link look exactly like the ones in my first post and in TP's links.  I'm just tired of dealing with fenders.  They're a royal pain in the A$$.

Those are the ones I'm using.  I screwed them into the dock on both sides and they hang over just above the water line.  No need for bumpers at all.  I'll take some photos this weekend.

4 minutes ago, Further said:

Those are the ones I'm using.  I screwed them into the dock on both sides and they hang over just above the water line.  No need for bumpers at all.  I'll take some photos this weekend.

Ah, ok lol.  No wonder I was confused because they're showing them hanging off the boat in that pic like regular fenders.  And that's a huge section, too. 

That's pretty cool that you used them the way you do.  Those ones seem a bit more beefy and compact than the other rectangular white ones.

Yes, please take pics and post them. 

21 minutes ago, WaterDR said:

Why the heck would they line the entire dock with those?  Space those puppies out and they would be great.

Well, they do have a big $^& boat lol.  It's almost identical to the one a few slips down in the top pic with that pulpit that extends beyond the 35ft slip.  That does bug me a little bit because I have to watch out for that over-extended pulpit when I'm pulling out.  I need to get out a bit further into the channel (which is not exactly wide) to clear the pulpit.  Then I gotta watch out for that other guy's pulpit lol.

I did put a wheel on our corner of the finger dock.  That helps a lot, not so much for actually using it but knowing it's there.  I'm still yet to back in which is what I want to do.  For now it bow in first but maybe with those dock fenders, I'll have more confidence to back in.

Backing in is easy once you figure it out. I back in every time. Gives me a lot more shade as the sun sets. 

23 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Backing in is easy once you figure it out. I back in every time. Gives me a lot more shade as the sun sets. 

I've backed in many times when we had a different slip, one that was much wider and for a single, large boat and a wider channel.  Felt very comfortable doing that and had no issues at all.  But this one here is a bit tighter, especially at the opening with the piling and our neighbor's boat so I'm playing it safe for now.  Every time I wanted to try it, they were already there.  Next time we get back and they're not in the slip, I'm definitely going to try it.

This single slip was awesome.  Much more room and no other boat to worry about and more channel room.

mgpeqB5.jpg

I have had those Overtons dock cushions for two years now.

Best thing ever!!!!

No one at my marina takes them down over the winter.  Just leave them bolted to the dock.  I have three spaced on one side of the dock, and one where the swim platform is

Not having to stow and hang fenders everytime - PRICELESS.  Seriously.

No fenders rub and dull your fiberglass.  Just need two lines returning to the dock.

Strongly recommended.

11 hours ago, gr8lakes said:

I have had those Overtons dock cushions for two years now.

Best thing ever!!!!

No one at my marina takes them down over the winter.  Just leave them bolted to the dock.  I have three spaced on one side of the dock, and one where the swim platform is

Not having to stow and hang fenders everytime - PRICELESS.  Seriously.

No fenders rub and dull your fiberglass.  Just need two lines returning to the dock.

Strongly recommended.

That's great.  It seems like everyone who has them is really happy with them.  The headache of pulling and hanging fenders every time is really the ultimate reason for looking into these.  Making docking less stressful is a bonus.

I'm not sure if people are allowed to leave them all year in our marina like yours.  Where are you out of?  I only ask because we have brutal winters with noreasters galore and snow storms in feet and ice build-ups and all that fun stuff where those things would probably take a beating.  But we'll be heading out today so I'll definitely ask about that.  Thx! 

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed your Great Lakes location.  So yeah, you get those brutal winters too.  That'll be interesting to see if our marina allows that.