Sign in to follow this  
Jomace

Outlets not working when disconnecting from Shore Power.

Just noticed that when I disconnect from shore power I outlets on my 2003 260 signature are not working, and perhaps the refrigerator (not sure).   I checked the fuses,  and the GFCI oulets all are okay. any help would be appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, Jomace said:

Just noticed that when I disconnect from shore power I outlets on my 2003 260 signature are not working, and perhaps the refrigerator (not sure).   I checked the fuses,  and the GFCI oulets all are okay. any help would be appreciated. 

Unless your on generator or a substantial inverter ,they wont be working

Okay Thank You,   the Admiral was convinced she could charge her phone while we were out on the lake. I was unsure. 

1 hour ago, Jomace said:

Okay Thank You,   the Admiral was convinced she could charge her phone while we were out on the lake. I was unsure. 

iPhones can charge off a cig lighter outlet w/ a cheap plug in to USB adapter. Do it all the time in car and boat.

1 hour ago, Jomace said:

The outlets are 110vac which unless you have an inverter or are running a generator, are left unpowered.  As Pops said, you can charge your phone from a 12vdc source.

Outlets are 110 A.C. (Shore power) and the battery is 12v D.C. like your car.

1 hour ago, Jomace said:

Oh, and fridge should be dual power meaning it should automatically switch over to 12vdc power when 110vac power is absent.

Not all refrigerators switch to DC when unplugged from shore power (AC). Mine just becomes a cooler (no power).

12 hours ago, bschuster said:

Not all refrigerators switch to DC when unplugged from shore power (AC). Mine just becomes a cooler (no power).

Even in your 2008 Sig?  That doesn't sound right unless you replaced it at some point.  Dual power was standard.

18 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Oh, and fridge should be dual power meaning it should automatically switch over to 12vdc power when 110vac power is absent.

For the frig to work off 12 volts you must have the house battery switch turned on, then it should switch over if 110 is disconnected.

Thanks this forum has been a wealth of knowledge.  Is it okay to have the shore power plugged in and the batteries switched on? Sometimes we will be sitting at the dock and want to turn on some music. do I need to disconnect shore power before turning on the batteries ( for the Radio)

9 minutes ago, Jomace said:

Thanks this forum has been a wealth of knowledge.  Is it okay to have the shore power plugged in and the batteries switched on? Sometimes we will be sitting at the dock and want to turn on some music. do I need to disconnect shore power before turning on the batteries ( for the Radio)

Not a problem. Shore power connected and batteries turned on, I do it all the time.

In addition, if you have an on-board battery charger, your shore power can power that up so the charger is replenishing your batteries as you use the DC loads such as radio, lights, etc.

Guess I should have read the manual closer. I usually turn off the house battery switch along with the motor switches when we leave the boat on Sundays. Figured with the boat on shore-power for the refigerator and battery charger why leave the house battery on.

Thanks for the information.

I really like the people on this forum. We all try to help each other.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, mpm330 said:

For the frig to work off 12 volts you must have the house battery switch turned on, then it should switch over if 110 is disconnected.

Heeeeey A member using the simple and all too much more common straight up "110" instead of getting all fancy with the 120AC/VDCXYZ!  Love it.

BTW, I thought you were up in my neck of the waters on the 4th with the whole family.  Was almost going to salute you.

YGEqw8d.jpg

20 hours ago, bschuster said:

Guess I should have read the manual closer. I usually turn off the house battery switch along with the motor switches when we leave the boat on Sundays. Figured with the boat on shore-power for the refigerator and battery charger why leave the house battery on.

Thanks for the information.

Wait, why wouldn’t you continue to turn both battery switches off?  I have turned them off for four years when leaving the boat.   The fridge and battery charger are left on shore power while away.

The only reason I would leave the house battery on is if I’m running the air conditioner while away so that the sumo pump can evacuate the condensate.  Otherwise, no need for the batteries to be left on. 

20 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Wait, why wouldn’t you continue to turn both battery switches off?  I have turned them off for four years when leaving the boat.   The fridge and battery charger are left on shore power while away.

The only reason I would leave the house battery on is if I’m running the air conditioner while away so that the sumo pump can evacuate the condensate.  Otherwise, no need for the batteries to be left on. 

:oregonian_winesmiley: