Sign in to follow this  
brclark82

257 vs 267 ssx

I will be in the market for a new boat either this winter or next (depending on when we find exactly what we want) and probably going to stick with Chap. Mainly looking to upgrade because we need a boat for bigger water than we have in the past.  

As I’ve been doing my research it seems to me the newly designed SSX models (247,267,287) have a much lower freeboard than their older counter parts.  With that being said the 257 has not ben redesigned, as of 2018, and seems (just by looking) that it has more freeboard than even the bigger ssx line (267 and even 287). 

My question is this..is it just my eyes playing tricks on me with the new lines or is this actual.  I can’t find a freeboard measure anywhere. 

Anybody with insight as to which of these boats would be best for rough water. 

PS I am just talking large inland lakes, no saltwater for me

I've been on both boats and I didn't notice the 267 having lower freeboard.  That is my calibrated eye so not an actual measurement.  i think it's just because of the way the windshield on the 257 meets the lines of the hull vs. the newer styling 

That’s a good point, it could also have something to do with the way the 257 slopes down towards the transom vs more squared in the new model...how the swim platform integrates into the hull on the newer models may also have some effect that way as well.

Is the swim platform on the 257 and low to the water as the new models?  I was on a brand new 287 and lived how the platform was essentially AT water level

3 hours ago, brclark82 said:

I will be in the market for a new boat either this winter or next (depending on when we find exactly what we want) and probably going to stick with Chap. Mainly looking to upgrade because we need a boat for bigger water than we have in the past.  

As I’ve been doing my research it seems to me the newly designed SSX models (247,267,287) have a much lower freeboard than their older counter parts.  With that being said the 257 has not ben redesigned, as of 2018, and seems (just by looking) that it has more freeboard than even the bigger ssx line (267 and even 287). 

My question is this..is it just my eyes playing tricks on me with the new lines or is this actual.  I can’t find a freeboard measure anywhere. 

Anybody with insight as to which of these boats would be best for rough water. 

PS I am just talking large inland lakes, no saltwater for me

mmmmmmm, 

Must of been a little rough after the fireworks last week. We were at Paridise to watch the Fireworks. That dock was going up and down about 4-5' afterwards.

Where were you staying at?

Lol, nailed it @Toddler

We were staying at Tan Tara and while we did watch the fireworks from our boat, it was also from the safety of our slip we rented while we were down there.  We probably saw you headed home if you stayed south, we had one of the 2 bedroom cabins right on the lake and watched all the boats leave after the fireworks were over. 

When it was just my wife and I our 21’ boat was just fine but now we have a 2 year old and a 3 month old.  We brought the in laws along so they could hang out with the kids and we could get the boat out, I wasn’t gonna bring the kids in the boat this year. It’s a shame because my 2 year old loves the boat and the water and we wanna feel comfortable taking him out on bigger lakes.  This was our second time to LOTO this year and we didn’t even bring the boat the first time because it was just us.  Being at LOTO and not having my boat drove me crazy and pretty much guaranteed I was getting something we would all feel comfortable with this winter.

Actually we would be going back for a third trip in August but we changed plans because of the boat situation and are now going to Wisconsin Dells instead :slap:

We drove the car to Paridise. Easy drive from the condo by Camdenton.  Less boat traffic around Camdenton you should look into it. 

PS. The drive from 44 on 7 to Camdenton wasn't bad at all. 

Don't be afraid to look at a used 256 or 257