Sign in to follow this  
SeanK

Salt water usage

I know there are alot of threads on this but I am still unclear on how often to flush after salt water boating.   If I go to San Destin, FL for the week, do I need to flush everyday after I use the boat, or after a week, do a thorough flushing at home?

Also, when you boat out of town, do you rent a slip or trailer every day?   Are most slips in areas like San Destin FL secure?   If you trailer at a resort, you need to worry about the prop, cushions, speakers, etc but it is better than getting your whole boat stolen.

I bought a mint 2012 216 SSI with only 60 hours and it runs like a champ, so I don’t want to screw it up.   

Thanks

Run it in fresh water ?   :)

We can not stop Nature completely............

Life is more about being very lucky.  And enjoying what should be FULLY enjoyed at the time.

People leave convertible cars top down.  Nothing happens.......... Others in locked garages are stolen.

You are worrying yourself to death.

The few times I took my old boat into salt water I flushed every time. I was lucky, I took it off Savannah, Ga. and put in on a fresh water canal so most of it got flushed getting back to the ramp.

If worried about thieves you can either remove everything or get an alarm for your boat, had one in my old boat with a radar sensor.

I keep mine on a trailer, especially at places I don't know.

I have a larger boat that is in a slip all the time.  As far as theft concern, I actually leave the boat open.  We have a removable face plate radio that we take with us if we are going to be away from the boat for a while.  Our marina is pretty safe and there is a lot of traffic by the staff at our end.  I figure there is nothing in the boat worth more than the broken door.  For a smaller boat, park it on a trailer, get an out drive locking nut, and remove any electronics if possible.  Also through a lock on the receiver hitch so it cant be hooked up to a tow vehicle.  Lastly, anything you do will just keep good people honest.  If someone really wants your stuff, they'll get it.  So get some insurance too.

11 hours ago, SeanK said:

I know there are alot of threads on this but I am still unclear on how often to flush after salt water boating.   If I go to San Destin, FL for the week, do I need to flush everyday after I use the boat, or after a week, do a thorough flushing at home?

Also, when you boat out of town, do you rent a slip or trailer every day?   Are most slips in areas like San Destin FL secure?   If you trailer at a resort, you need to worry about the prop, cushions, speakers, etc but it is better than getting your whole boat stolen.

I bought a mint 2012 216 SSI with only 60 hours and it runs like a champ, so I don’t want to screw it up.   

Thanks

@jeffk boats out of Miami and knows all about FLA probably more than anyone else on this forum that I'm aware of.  Hopefully he gets this tag and gives you his advice.

I believe he "High & Dries" his sweet Signature 310 which could be a possibility for you.  Then you won't have to worry about thievery since it'll be stacked up on a rack that only jd50i with his special ops unit can get to. 

If you rent a slip and keep it in there, I would flush it out every day after you're done but only if you have a flush port on your motor.  Mercs don't have them (from what I understand and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong about that)  but Volvos do.  So that's a consideration you'll have to make.

If you have a Merc and can only flush with those painintheass muffs, then you'll have to pull it out on the trailer and flush it that way. 

Then if you have to trailer it back to the resort, talk to the hotel manager about either getting a good spot to park it where it would be on their CCTV security system or somewhere they can suggest it would be safe.  That's what I do whenever we take our boat to Cape Cod and that's no easy feat to park all 36ft of boat and trailer in a parking lot.  But we did it every day for a week and flushed it and put all the covers back on every time.  I also put a trailer hitch lock on like Roady68 suggested which will deter anyone who wants to drive off with the whole thing.  They're not 100% proof since anyone packing bolt cutters can snip that lock off in 1/2 second.  But it will certainly deter many.

3 hours ago, jd50i said:

or get an alarm for your boat, had one in my old boat with a radar sensor.

Boat alarm, I like that!  Can you give us some info on what you had?

50 minutes ago, Hatem said:

@jeffk

Boat alarm, I like that!  Can you give us some info on what you had?

It was an old Alpine with a radar sensor, I think it was an 8070 but any alarm would work, just keep it in a dry place, my old boat was also a cuddy.

41 minutes ago, jd50i said:

It was an old Alpine with a radar sensor, I think it was an 8070 but any alarm would work, just keep it in a dry place, my old boat was also a cuddy.

That's cool, thanks.  I'd like to get an alarm not necessarily for anti-thieving, but one that notifies my phone of something bad happening to the boat in the slip during storms and things of that sort.  Bilge pump not working and rain water filling the bilge, or a fire etc.  Marina is about 7 miles away, that would help give some peace of mind.

Maybe a wireless home alarm with cellular auto dialer to call you when alarm is triggered. A float switch set slightly higher than your bilge switch to set the alarm off if water gets above bilge switch.

Thanks for all the advice.   I always lock the hitch “closed” - even in the fully enclosed storage.   I figure I will make them work for it.   I was thinking also about getting one of those police boots for the wheel if ever I need to disconnect to go somewhere and leave boat at the resort.   Those only run $50-$100.   Figured that plus the hitch lock would be the best I can do.

Again, thanks for the advice.

3 hours ago, jd50i said:

Maybe a wireless home alarm with cellular auto dialer to call you when alarm is triggered. A float switch set slightly higher than your bilge switch to set the alarm off if water gets above bilge switch.

Exactly.  Maybe a little 12vt sensor with a tiny  camera and a phone Ap baddabing baddaboom.