Jsatt14

Motor squeal not sure where its coming from

Does anyone know what would cause the engine squeal at high rpms? Or when you turn the steering wheel? I was out last week when I kept hearing a squealing sound. I figured it must be just a belt so i ordered one to put on. Could there be another reason for this squeal?  Ive got an '03 chpparral 183

it  could be , can also be a alt drawing too much of a load , PS pump going bad

On 7/13/2018 at 6:17 AM, cyclops2 said:

FIND IT NOW.  Before major damage occurs.

What do you mean magor damage?

Ignore him... 

I'd make sure you have the power steering fluid topped off. The pump could be going bad as well. 

I'd try tightening the belt before anything else. It could simply of stretched and needs tightening. The symptoms you describe sounds an awful lot like a loose belt

I replaced the belt. It look pretty warn and stretched out. Just waiting to get it out on the water and too see how she runs. I figured start with the belt and go from there. 

4 hours ago, Jsatt14 said:

I replaced the belt. It look pretty warn and stretched out. Just waiting to get it out on the water and too see how she runs. I figured start with the belt and go from there. 

That's where I would start to

Be very accurate about the noise sound / pitch. Is it a chirp? Or a squeal ? Chirps on Hondas are always the wide Serpentine Belts. Toss a cup of water on the RUNNING belt. Sound always stops chirping. Squeals are bearings.

Had it out yesterday and it still makes some noise just not as bad but its still there. Is it possible it could be the bearings in the power steering pump?

If we assume it is not now the belt ? Then I would run the engine at the noisy speed while tied to the dock. Then stop & RELAX ALL belt tension. Restart engine . Different noise sound level ? Bingo  Hand turn / shake all units for a bad bearing.

Get lucky.