willbaker13

Magnetic Head Door Latch Issue

Anybody have experience with the head door magnetic latch not engaging?  The magnet in ours no longer pops out and stays flush with the handle.  Even if I grab it and pull it out it goes right back in. I tried taking it apart the other day but did not have an allen wrench with me as I believe one of the handles has to be removed before the whole assembly can come away from the door.  Hate to shell out the $$ for a new one http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/head-door-rt-hand-magnetic-latch-w-catch-lock-24-00079/ as it seems a little high for what it is...

10 minutes ago, willbaker13 said:

Anybody have experience with the head door magnetic latch not engaging?  The magnet in ours no longer pops out and stays flush with the handle.  Even if I grab it and pull it out it goes right back in. I tried taking it apart the other day but did not have an allen wrench with me as I believe one of the handles has to be removed before the whole assembly can come away from the door.  Hate to shell out the $$ for a new one http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/head-door-rt-hand-magnetic-latch-w-catch-lock-24-00079/ as it seems a little high for what it is...

How come I'm not surprised by the cost of a new latch.  I think the best solution is get the allen wrench you need and take it apart.  It sounds like a very simple fix, probably a spring that holds the magnet in place or something that has either moved or fallen out of place.  Definitely open it up before shelling out a couple hundred + deer for something that just needs a small repair.

Quick update.  The latch is designed to not open to the internal workings (i.e springs, etc.) so we had to bite the bullet and replace the whole assembly.  UGH.  But at least the door does not come flying open every 30 seconds now and no more stuffed towels between the door and seat.  :P

3 hours ago, willbaker13 said:

Quick update.  The latch is designed to not open to the internal workings (i.e springs, etc.) so we had to bite the bullet and replace the whole assembly.  UGH.  But at least the door does not come flying open every 30 seconds now and no more stuffed towels between the door and seat.  :P

Ah man, that sucks.  From the looks of it, the door has a cutout and it wraps around that cutout and gets screwed in from the front but you can't see what the latch's box looks like that's inside the door.  But I've seen some lock mechanisms that are designed that way for some straaaaaaannnngggeah reason lol.  Oh well, you might be a little light in the pocket now but the door is working! lol.