Johnny G.

BAD ENGINEERING---BAD SERVICE

The title of this thread should have been "DON'T LOOK NOW JOHNNY"

For the issue with storing small items, there's this place Bentleys Boat Covers in Milwaukie, OR, I had them make me some vinyl pouches with elastic on the top then velcro taped them to the boat. Matched the interior so you hardly see them and great for keeping cell phones, bottle openers, wallets, etc. Very inexpensive I think they charged me like $20 total for two.

1 hour ago, takeahiketour said:

For the issue with storing small items, there's this place Bentleys Boat Covers in Milwaukie, OR, I had them make me some vinyl pouches with elastic on the top then velcro taped them to the boat. Matched the interior so you hardly see them and great for keeping cell phones, bottle openers, wallets, etc. Very inexpensive I think they charged me like $20 total for two.

Thanks

I will probably have to do something like that but it sure would be nice if they had a nice built in one. Like I have been saying, It looks like they buit them without ever trying them. 

On 7/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, JimSchuuz said:

Please, tell me how exactly they're supposed to respond to the questions "why didn't you put in a glove box?" or "why didn't you make storage to fit MY fishing poles?"  What answer would be acceptable to you?

You can call us Chaparral employees all you like, but we aren't.  However, it sounds more like you're a Bayliner employee... are you?  Be honest.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:15 PM, Johnny G. said:

I did the first time and no help .   I guess you don't see my side at all. You guys are still on my purchase while I am talking about the design . Think of it as a boat I did not buy but one I looked at and found all of these things wrong . THEN could you focus on the point.

I feel like i'm talking to Pelosi . 

I have to admit that I laughed at the last line.

You have a legitimate complaint, but I don't think you have the proper forum in which you've aired your grievances.  If you complain in an owner's forum but you didn't buy the boat, it's the wrong place to state your case.  If you DID buy the boat, then expect people to criticize you for buying without knowing its features.  It's just like Pelosi saying "you have to buy the boat before you can know what's in it."

Yes, if I went boat shopping and saw some models that omitted some features that I thought were important, I would walk away shaking my head in disbelief.  But, unless I was trying to "troll" other owners online, I wouldn't do it in their own forum.  If I did, I would expect some backlash.

12 minutes ago, JimSchuuz said:

It's just like Pelosi saying "you have to buy the boat before you can know what's in it."

HAHAHA:tofunny:

41 minutes ago, JimSchuuz said:

I have to admit that I laughed at the last line.

You have a legitimate complaint, but I don't think you have the proper forum in which you've aired your grievances.  If you complain in an owner's forum but you didn't buy the boat, it's the wrong place to state your case.  If you DID buy the boat, then expect people to criticize you for buying without knowing its features.  It's just like Pelosi saying "you have to buy the boat before you can know what's in it."

Yes, if I went boat shopping and saw some models that omitted some features that I thought were important, I would walk away shaking my head in disbelief.  But, unless I was trying to "troll" other owners online, I wouldn't do it in their own forum.  If I did, I would expect some backlash.

You right.  Its like praising Trump in a MeToo forum.

32 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

HAHAHA:tofunny:

Just like thinking OnamaCare

Had something to do with Obama caring. 

On 7/19/2018 at 11:05 AM, Johnny G. said:

I guess I'm going to have to give it a rest . You guys are like 'Beating a Dead Horse'.  RIP

If you want a true fish and ski you should look at a Ranger or a Lund GL. They make fishing boats u can still use for water sports. Chaparral makes boats for water sports and tried to put a trolling motor on. Works ok for someone who wants to fish a few times a season. But not for a every weekend fisherman.  Just my opinion though.

9 hours ago, muddywater said:

If you want a true fish and ski you should look at a Ranger or a Lund GL. They make fishing boats u can still use for water sports. Chaparral makes boats for water sports and tried to put a trolling motor on. Works ok for someone who wants to fish a few times a season. But not for a every weekend fisherman.  Just my opinion though.

I traded in a Nitro Fish and Ski for this one because it was getting old and my family wanted something a little more for cruising but the things I am complaining about are just things that are wrong with the design and engineering even if it was a TUG BOAT. If you read my original rant you would see most of the things I experienced, but there are more that I have not mentioned . Like a ski pole that has 1/2" threads so that most people who don't think of it can drop it into the socket and easily damage the threads. Like a Raymarine GPS-Sonar that does not go to the page you used last but you have to wait till it finds the satellites 1st before you get a menu to choose your screen again.  I just want sonar 1st in my routine . I guess i'm just to demanding ?

Ive learned something about boats.  You have to decide what you want to do, water sports, fish, just flat out drive around, spend time on it as in over night etc.  From there you have to go in a direction and stick with it.  As boats truly are made to really do one purpose at a time.  yeah some of these fish and skis and other combo ideas do things ok they do not do multiple things great, they just don't, and I don't care how much money you spend.  This isn't to put anybody down but never would I  buy one of these combo boats as they just have trying to hard or half baked written all over them.  If I'm going to fish and be serious about it and going to be serious about family water sports I'm going to buy two boats.

Politicizing boating is a new low. It seems this boater spent more time complaining about the purchase than researching prior to purchase. I spent a year deciding on my third Chaparral and had to drive 3400 miles to pick it up. It is the only one like it in So Cal. Before you rag on me as a Californian, I am in Texas half the time and have owned places in both states. Still not happy with what California has become and I will leave again soon. Oh Ya, MAGA.

1 hour ago, 247SSX said:

Politicizing boating is a new low. It seems this boater spent more time complaining about the purchase than researching prior to purchase. I spent a year deciding on my third Chaparral and had to drive 3400 miles to pick it up. It is the only one like it in So Cal. Before you rag on me as a Californian, I am in Texas half the time and have owned places in both states. Still not happy with what California has become and I will leave again soon. Oh Ya, MAGA.

:clapsmiley:  

On 7/17/2018 at 1:20 PM, Johnny G. said:

Bought a Suncoast 21 last july W/ a150 Merc O.B.

I was in a hurry because everyone was out of fish and skis w/an outboard .  I figured that after many decades of making boats ,there were some things I did not have to worry about ,LIKE -a glove box  -LIKE a main power switch that was accessible - -LIKE a GPS that worked  -LIKE a horn that worked -LIKE a speedometer that worked-  LIKE storage for the trolling motor  -LIKE rod storage where the rods would not fall out -LIKE a ski pole, storage holder, that you could actually reach  -LIKE cup holders for all of the passengers - LIKE steering that was not so difficult due to a small steering wheel and more .-LIKE two rear facing seat that you can't raise the backs unless you hold down the floor under them - LIKE an anchor compartment that is so small and requires unfolding a ladder to get at . They should have used some of the money the spent on the 3 radio controls distributed throughout the boat. Most of the storare is under heavy bulky seat cushions .  There are 2 large closets in front with no shelves so they are only good for one layer of something on the floor . Did I mention there is no place for CELL PHONES, SUN GLASSES, LOTIONS, WALLETS ,HOOKS, SINKERS, ETC> ETC>    Don't even ask me about the service, and the excuses I received when I brought it back for a new transducer.

I could probably go on but this is my first time on a Forum

OK, I am a little late to this party, but since I do actually own a 210 Suncoast Ski & Fish, so feel I can give a little perspective. 

First, I knew going into my purchase A ski and fish is all about compromise. I did my research and drove 4 hours to go look at one before purchasing.  I view the suncoast as 80% runabout 20% fish. Hence ski and fish, not fish and ski, but I also do see where you are coming from with some of your issues.

Some of these things you mention sound like poor quality control, which to admit, I had a few quality issues with mine. Mainly hardware and assembly (minor) but found the build quality of the hull quite good.  Based on others I have talked to, It seems that warranty repair varies greatly on how good your dealer is.

Glovebox - I would agree, there is no good place to store you wallet, keys, phone. But that was my oversight. I have considered putting one in the helm or installing a tackle webs pouch on the inside of the door. Not sure why they did not put one in the head door like the 224 Sunesta. But that would be nice. Looks like the same door too.

Main Power Switch - Hard to put it anywhere else that is not an eye sore. I actually like where it is placed that I can reach it standing next to the trailer when I prep to launch. It does however take some technique getting the seat removed to open the lid.

GPS- Mine came with a Garmin 742XS and it is great. I have never seen one with a Raymarine so I cant speak to reliability.

Trolling Motor - I just store mine in the garage unless going fishing, but ski locker would be my first try.

Rod Storage - Agreed, I found the rod storage to be a bit disappointing in that my rods always fall out into the ski locker. I going to try to put a bungee across to keep them in place.

Ski Pole - I agree it is a little cumbersome, but not sure where else you put a solid 2" aluminum bar 4 feet long in that boat.

Storage - Not sure about shelves in the helm storage or head compartment, But the rear cushions can be a little awkward to handle. Not sure why they did not split them like in the 230, but admittedly I knew about that when I looked at one for the first time.

Rear Seats - I was a little frustrated with these at first, since they were difficult to operate, now that they are broken in, the seat backs don't require as much effort. 

Anchor - I do not have the stock anchor, I found  a navy anchor that just barely fits between the ladder frame, but I agree it is very tight, even another 2 inches would make a big difference.

Power  - I got the 200HP because others on the forum mentioned the 150 left something to be desired. The 200 is strong, quiet, tows tubes or skiers with ease, and runs 52 mph WOT. 

I would agree the Suncoast has compromises, but I do not think it is bad engineering. I am not sure how you put all these features into this boat a different way. For a Ski and Fish, maybe the H2O 21' OB is a better fit.

Sorry to hear that you are so disappointed in your purchase. I am happy with my suncoast (I think many others are too) despite its shortcomings, maybe its because I was aware of  many of them going into it, but it fits our families boating needs.