JeffL

H20 Fuel Vent Fix/Problem

So I figured I wouldn't continue on in the CRAParral thread............ ;)

For those that didn't read through the entire thread, I had a problem (and many H20 owners have had this same problem) where water would come in through the fuel tank vent line and fill up the charcoal filter.  This in turn would result in it taking forever to put fuel in the tank (nowhere for the air to vent out of and the fuel backs up the nozzle and shuts it off).  I had the "improved" kit installed over the winter that was supposed to take care of the problem. 

Worked fine until two weeks ago when I went to put gas in it.  Same problem..........  finally got it filled and headed off from the boat ramp.  Got about 100 yrds from the ramp and the engine stalled and wouldn't start.

Just heard back from the dealer.  Water made it into the fuel tank, past the water separator and into the fuel pump.  Fuel pump corroded and shut down.  The big, BIG problem is the shop is telling me that my chances of it getting covered under warranty is slim to none.  Apparently when it comes to water in the fuel pump, Chaparral blames Volvo because it's a Volvo fuel pump and Volvo blames Chaparral for the water in the fuel...........  They said they would try but it's not likely.  $1300.................  I will probably have to battle it out with the dealer/Chaparral...........  Any suggestions?

The fix to the original problem:  Apparently the vent hose takes a 90 turn before going out the vent hole.  It seems it is easier/neater to turn the hose down which results in any water coming in the vent hole to run right into the charcoal filter.  So they switched it so it now turns up..............  common sense that the first service place must have missed........... And I cant believe I missed it too.......

Stay tuned to see if I can get it covered........

Make the Dealer eat the cost if they can't get it covered. What year boat? 

Is anyone happy with an H20?

I am very happy with my 2018 21 H20 so far.  So I am wondering if this problem is specific to Volvo or a particular year(s)?  I guess I will investigate tomorrow.  And I will go read the  previous post on this.  Thanks for posting so I know what to look for.

I had this problem with another boat years ago and it took me quite some time to figure it out.  

JeffL.  I believe one of your earlier posts indicated this was replaced this past winter.  If so, there is a VP warranty.  If you installed the part, the warranty is 12 months (parts only).  If a VP authorized dealer installed the part, the warranty is 24 months (parts and labor if a VP authorized dealer).  The warranty on a new Volvo Penta engine and drive package installed in a new boat is 24 months from delivery provided registration, recreational use and less than 600 hours.  The contentious point will likely be the other "damages"; for example the fuel pump, fuel/water separator, water in the fuel tank that requires draining, fuel replacement, etc.  I've had zero luck with Volvo Penta and Chaparral on my $450 water pump that failed inside of 24 months with all of 15 hours.  I'm now faced with turning it over to my attorney and shelling out many thousands, if not tens of thousands, before resolution or walking quietly away.  On one hand, it's the principle.  On the other, it's time to go boating and enjoy.  At the risk of parroting cyclops, I wonder if the strategy is to point at the other to frustrate the claimant into going away.  I doubt this is the strategy, but admittedly, it sure can feel like it.  Wish you more success than I've had.   

Just another reason why I remove those epa fill/vent devices and go back to the way they were One hole for fill, one hole for vent with a loop

I have the one hole to fill and one hole to vent on my 1993 205 SL Cuddy. The vent hose has the loop that is above the thru hull vent fitting. That way, any sea water splashed near the vent fitting has no chance if getting into the fuel system. However, after having diffficulty filling at the gas dock, I discovered a completely kinked loop on the vent hose. I had no vent!  During the off-season I redid the vent loop with some brass pipe - now it's basically a 90 degree un-kink able loop. She fills up perfectly at the gas dock now! 

13 hours ago, Sacandaga said:

I am very happy with my 2018 21 H20 so far.  So I am wondering if this problem is specific to Volvo or a particular year(s)?  I guess I will investigate tomorrow.  And I will go read the  previous post on this.  Thanks for posting so I know what to look for.

I had this problem with another boat years ago and it took me quite some time to figure it out.  

The basic problem is how the vent hose is routed.  Check to make sure it goes up after the vent hole in the hull. 

10 hours ago, Curt said:

JeffL.  I believe one of your earlier posts indicated this was replaced this past winter.  If so, there is a VP warranty.  If you installed the part, the warranty is 12 months (parts only).  If a VP authorized dealer installed the part, the warranty is 24 months (parts and labor if a VP authorized dealer).  The warranty on a new Volvo Penta engine and drive package installed in a new boat is 24 months from delivery provided registration, recreational use and less than 600 hours.  The contentious point will likely be the other "damages"; for example the fuel pump, fuel/water separator, water in the fuel tank that requires draining, fuel replacement, etc.  I've had zero luck with Volvo Penta and Chaparral on my $450 water pump that failed inside of 24 months with all of 15 hours.  I'm now faced with turning it over to my attorney and shelling out many thousands, if not tens of thousands, before resolution or walking quietly away.  On one hand, it's the principle.  On the other, it's time to go boating and enjoy.  At the risk of parroting cyclops, I wonder if the strategy is to point at the other to frustrate the claimant into going away.  I doubt this is the strategy, but admittedly, it sure can feel like it.  Wish you more success than I've had.   

Thanks.  The H20s actually come with a full 5 year warranty (it's a 2016) which is one of the main reasons we went with this particular boat.  The fuel pump and module is $1,300.  I guess I'll have to nag the @#$%@# out of the dealer........ 

My 2018 has the same issue with the charcoal canister.  I've pulled it twice and let it dry out with decent results.  I have the mercruiser 4.5L 250hp engine not the VP setup.  I'll try turning the vent hose up tonight and see if that helps.  Thanks for the update.

JeffL. To the best of my knowledge, the boat and engine/drive warranties are separate.  I believe you'll find this true when you take a look at your documentation.  For the 2016 MY, the warranty for Volvo Penta engine and drive packages is 2 + 3.  For the first 2 years provided leisure use and less than 600 hours, coverage is complete (minor and major components alike).  For the following 3 years, subject to certain other specified limitations, the warranty reduces and "only" major components are covered.  I have the same MY, but a different boat.  Chaparral deferred to Volvo Penta, and Volvo Penta denied.  My claim is well inside all of the applicable provisions.  Good luck.  I hope you have a better experience than I. 

51 minutes ago, Curt said:

JeffL. To the best of my knowledge, the boat and engine/drive warranties are separate.  I believe you'll find this true when you take a look at your documentation.  For the 2016 MY, the warranty for Volvo Penta engine and drive packages is 2 + 3.  For the first 2 years provided leisure use and less than 600 hours, coverage is complete (minor and major components alike).  For the following 3 years, subject to certain other specified limitations, the warranty reduces and "only" major components are covered.  I have the same MY, but a different boat.  Chaparral deferred to Volvo Penta, and Volvo Penta denied.  My claim is well inside all of the applicable provisions.  Good luck.  I hope you have a better experience than I. 

Double checked the warranty.  5 Year.  Maybe they stopped offering that option?

IDK. But, 2 + 3 = 5.  But, there is a difference between everything for 5, and everything for 2 + major components for 3. 

OK, checked my 1 month old 2018 21 H2O and found that the separate vent line going to the vent on the side of the hull just forward of the fill line, does go up from the vent.  But, it only goes 2-3 inches at an angle and there is no loop.  So if water was blasted against the hull, I can see some of it making it's way down towards the canister.   Hopefully the vent itself is made to block the water but a slightly longer hose with a little more elevation would ease my mind.

1 minute ago, Sacandaga said:

OK, checked my 1 month old 2018 21 H2O and found that the separate vent line going to the vent on the side of the hull just forward of the fill line, does go up from the vent.  But, it only goes 2-3 inches at an angle and there is no loop.  So if water was blasted against the hull, I can see some of it making it's way down towards the canister.   Hopefully the vent itself is made to block the water but a slightly longer hose with a little more elevation would ease my mind.

The thru-hull fuel tank vent fittings usually have a fine mesh screen in them also. Helps with bugs and water resistance.  W

So just an update on this topic.  The dealer went to bat for me and got Chaparral to cover the whole thing under warranty. $2,700.  When I originally dropped the boat off and I was discussing the warranty challenges with the dealer and asked if I would have to keep bugging Chaparral, his response was, "that's my job".

There are some good dealers out there.  A&S Boats out of Norwalk, CT.  They work with Rex Marine for the service work.

You could add on 2nd fuel filter. A Racor with the drain to let the water out.

Its easy to do.

Glad to hear your dealer fixed the problem.  My dealer is still saying I must have pumped water into my tank!  Still grappling with them to fix this problem.  

Robbins Marine

Milton, PA

1 hour ago, bomboy said:

Glad to hear your dealer fixed the problem.  My dealer is still saying I must have pumped water into my tank!  Still grappling with them to fix this problem.  

Robbins Marine

Milton, PA

All the more reason to add a Racor filter. Good luck!!

A few things can help eliminate this issue.

All fuel vent lines must have a loop atleast 10-12 inches above the vent.

The vent should be facing aft so water cant just splash in

If necessary install a clam shell over the vent angled to the stern.

For the engine install the larger spin on type filter/sep BEFORE the small volvo filter/sep at the pumps. Sierra 1879911

or install the racor rac320RRAC02. It has a metal base and drain plug to check for water without unscrewing  the filter

Sloppy Chap workmanship.  They design & install the vent system parts.

Be cautious about the hose going up at the hull fitting. Over time the hose MAY collapse & bend down sharply.  Another blocked vent line problem. A couple of hose clamps to support the loop would be good. 

Follow Bt Doctor advice about direction of hull fitting facing rearward.  Mine are  slightly downward.

100 years of engines. Still can not do a vent line it right ?   Good Grief Charlie Brown.

Any of those USCG vent check valves in the boats vent lines ?  If yes they might stick open or closed if water reaches them somehow. Filled up water separator / fuel filter ?  Check filler cap gasket split. Installed wrong end up. Missing.

Bad gas station /  marina tanks... with water. Tank truck COMPLETLY stirs up all the water in the tank with new load poured into their tank.

2 hours ago, Bt Doctur said:

All fuel vent lines must have a loop atleast 10-12 inches above the vent.

Above? Not possible in my boat... Not sure if possible in others.. My fuel vent is at the top of the transom. Can't get 10" higher than that.......

Should be a dry spot if outside opening is pointed down ? Even rain, backing up in waves, hose washdown ?

Something is being overlooked ?  Hose is disconnected and  laying in the bilge water under the engine ?    What ?

Check for Mud Dauber Wasp plugging up the vent.

I don't have a loop on mine.  I don't even have a filter either.  My vent line straddles and follows the fuel line itself and is also part of the gas cap fitting.  The smaller, vent line comes in at the top of the gas cap fitting.

TtxnK4E.jpg

19 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I don't have a loop on mine.  I don't even have a filter either.  My vent line straddles and follows the fuel line itself and is also part of the gas cap fitting.  The smaller, vent line comes in at the top of the gas cap fitting.

TtxnK4E.jpg

Your setup, is more than norm. And yes I am sure you have a filter, Its the one hanging off your engine. ;)

For others so the is no bad info. There is no filter on the vent, maybe a screen so the bugs can't get down there.

Case in in point.  My boat was in the dealers yard for 2 years brand new. So now I am afraid that water has formed in the fuel tank. So having twin engines, I installed 2 Racor filters between the tank and the fuel filters off the engine to help capture any water. As the DR. put it, now you can un-do the drain plug to remove any water or just to see if there is any. Its about a 30min job per engine to install. The had part is finding a place to install it.