willbaker13

Fuel Pump Replacement - DIY or Mechanic

The fuel pump has started to whine and while I cannot swear to it, we're going through more fuel then we did before.  It's not hot to the touch but I'd rather replace now then get stuck out on the lake and need a tow. 

I'm fairly handy and the fuel pump is in an accessible location on the starboard side of the engine (2013 Volvo Penta V8-300) so I'm thinking of performing the replacement myself and saving 2-3 hours of mechanics labor cost - the fuel pump itself is costly enough.  I'm wondering, is there something that I need to be aware of that may not be obvious that could be easily missed?  I've looked online, read articles, watched videos, and don't see anything like torque settings or thread sealant for the bolts, having to drain fuel (except what will leak out once the lines are disconnected), special connections or tools, etc.  Am I missing something or is it pretty straightforward?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Before you replace your fuel pump there is a cooling line going into it.

If it gets clogged it will whine.

If you clean it out you may be ok.

56 minutes ago, willbaker13 said:

The fuel pump has started to whine and while I cannot swear to it, we're going through more fuel then we did before.  It's not hot to the touch but I'd rather replace now then get stuck out on the lake and need a tow. 

I'm fairly handy and the fuel pump is in an accessible location on the starboard side of the engine (2013 Volvo Penta V8-300) so I'm thinking of performing the replacement myself and saving 2-3 hours of mechanics labor cost - the fuel pump itself is costly enough.  I'm wondering, is there something that I need to be aware of that may not be obvious that could be easily missed?  I've looked online, read articles, watched videos, and don't see anything like torque settings or thread sealant for the bolts, having to drain fuel (except what will leak out once the lines are disconnected), special connections or tools, etc.  Am I missing something or is it pretty straightforward?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You mentioned fuel consumption. Perhaps the fuel pressure regulator failed first, resulting in your fuel pump failure. At the very least I'd do a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail, and also make sure that the cooling lines in and out of the fuel module are clear as these pumps are water cooled.  Easy change out but you don't want to fail the new one. Also, there is a Volvo issue with the coating on the inside of the fuel module peeling off, failing the pumps. If you do go with new pumps, change the filter, inspect the screens, and be sure all parts of the new fuel system are filled with fresh gasoline prior to start-up as these systems do not like to run dry.  W

All great advice that should be followed. If you confirm the fuel pump needs to be replaced, with decent mechanical ability, and caution regarding ignition sources, it's straightforward.  Perhaps an hour or two plus prep. and clean-up.  Your boat and engine seems to new to suspect the fuel pump though, and the noise and/or higher fuel consumption might be something else.  Higher fuel consumption suggests a plug check first.  Back to the fuel pump, there are two.  

ive done the Volvo fuel pump , honestly takes less than 30 mins.  But like said above check the regulator it should be on top to the right of the motor/intake.  to change fuel pump should be depressurizing the system, make sure battery is off, have a bucket handy for lines to drain into.  unplug the pump, take the two fuel hoses off, unbolt. reinstall.  Turn battery on, flick key from off to start 7-10 times(but don't start) to prime.  off you go

13 hours ago, Wingnut said:

You mentioned fuel consumption. Perhaps the fuel pressure regulator failed first, resulting in your fuel pump failure. At the very least I'd do a fuel pressure test at the fuel rail, and also make sure that the cooling lines in and out of the fuel module are clear as these pumps are water cooled.  Easy change out but you don't want to fail the new one. Also, there is a Volvo issue with the coating on the inside of the fuel module peeling off, failing the pumps. If you do go with new pumps, change the filter, inspect the screens, and be sure all parts of the new fuel system are filled with fresh gasoline prior to start-up as these systems do not like to run dry.  W

Thanks W.  I had read about the coating/paint inside.  Do the new pumps have the same issue or has Volvo rectified?  I'll grab a fuel pressure test gauge - any idea what the proper readings should be?

13 hours ago, jeffk said:

Before you replace your fuel pump there is a cooling line going into it.

If it gets clogged it will whine.

If you clean it out you may be ok.

I'll check before installing the new pump - thanks.

Someone on here has a fuel pressure table for the Volvo's. You need to check both the output of the low pressure pump (approx. 10 psi) and the high pressure pump. (+/- 50 psi) Year to year the spec has changed as Volvo sources so many different components worldwide and designs change but the numbers above will be in the neighborhood as to what you should see. The coating was not in the pump themselves but the module housings. I have not heard about issues with the module "paint" for some time so my hope is that your 2013 is not part of that mess. Not many Volvo's in our "fleet" and I only have manuals for the 8.1.  They have used several different systems over the years. Been working with a member from Sweden who has a fuel vapor tank with a toilet type float system, and a throttle body mounted pressure regulator with a return line back to the fuel tank. Never saw one of those on a boat here in the states, and based on what I know about USCG regulations, I suspect it's not available in the US market.  W

When I researched the issue much earlier this year, no coating starting with the 2016 MY.  Beginning with this MY, Volvo Penta introduced what they describe as the Next Generation of Catalyzed engines.  Your 2013 is potentially identical but there are variants that aren't, and it may or may not be catalyzed.  If you'd please post the exact model, V8-300-X-X, your question can be answered definitively. 

Something to consider.  If the fuel pump is causing excess fuel consumption, there'd be other symptoms.  Too much fuel would be injected and the engine would run rough, stall, fail to start, raw fuel in the oil, raw fuel in the exhaust then water, etc.  The excess has to go somewhere, and with today's computer controls, parameters would be exceeded. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

When I researched the issue much earlier this year, no coating starting with the 2016 MY.  Beginning with this MY, Volvo Penta introduced what they describe as the Next Generation of Catalyzed engines.  Your 2013 is potentially identical but there are variants that aren't, and it may or may not be catalyzed.  If you'd please post the exact model, V8-300-X-X, your question can be answered definitively. 

Something to consider.  If the fuel pump is causing excess fuel consumption, there'd be other symptoms.  Too much fuel would be injected and the engine would run rough, stall, fail to start, raw fuel in the oil, raw fuel in the exhaust then water, etc.  The excess has to go somewhere, and with today's computer controls, parameters would be exceeded. 

Curt - it's the V8-300-C-A

20 minutes ago, willbaker13 said:

it's the V8-300-C-A

I believe you'll find your FP has internal paint.

Due to work and some family stuff I am just now getting back to this project.  I was all set to order the pump from Volvo and came across it listed at Cecil Marine for ~400 deer less.  The listing says it's an OEM pump.  Anybody have experience with Cecil Marine?  While still expensive, that's a pretty big difference...

The pumps are an easy DIY and can even be cleaned out and restored if screen clogging is the issue. As preventative maintenance, a couple years ago, I took mine apart and stripped the interior painting, cleaned out the cooling jackets and re-assembled as an off season project. It has ran great since. Do check to see that you are getting proper cooling water flow through it, especially in salt water. I`ve read that there are even aftermarket/rebuilt pumps available for half price on ebay these days.

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

Cecil are good people .

Joe the Man.......:drinkinBuddies:

Has helped more than one forum member.