Clarion speaker defective

We have a SIG270 (2017) with very little use of the Clarion radio (CMS2) that came with the boat. We discovered a defective cockpit speaker yesterday. The BASS  vibrates badly distorting the sound. 

It looks like a 6.5" speaker, but I can find nothing online or in my owner's manuals that tells me what speakers were installed. Anyone know?  Or know who I can ask?

We've been to Clarion website, and while they list their speakers and radios no where do they indicate which speakers go with which of their radios.

thank you.  Joe

I got some pics, but I didn't remove the speaker - it's caulked in place. I did take the grill off.

Oddly, the metal grill has electric wires running to it. What the heck? No lights, just wires connected to something that runs around the rim of the metal grill.

No specific parts numbers, at least none that are similar to speaker numbers on Clarion's website.

This is odd. And, there is no visible damage to the speaker cone - it appears to be made of a rubber-like substance. Pretty resilient.

Also, Clarion has no way for me to contact them. I phoned but got diverted to the dealer network, which for me is WestMarine - all they do is sell new radios and speakers.

Also, sent email inquiry to Chaparral. No word back from them. I just want to know the replacement speaker for my boat  - which is not that old (new last year).

Take a look at pics - anyone recognize this speaker or grill configuration?

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

By golly I think you identified my speaker. Thank you. It never occurred to me the speakers would be anything other than Clarion speakers. That’s a nice looking Panasonic with good capacity. It does look like mine.

I heard back from Chaparral. She said call my Chap dealer and they’d find out which speaker to order and can order it thru Chaparral.

I’ll also call Cecil Marine see if it’s in stock. 

Thank you so much.

You're most welcome.  Once I saw the photo, I was pretty sure it was the same one that's in my boat.

I am curious, given the wattage rating of the speakers, if I add a small (but quality) amp, whether or not I can improve the audio quality a bit without replacing the speakers, given that they can handle far more wattage than the head unit puts out.

Just now, sburke91 said:

I am curious, given the wattage rating of the speakers, if I add a small (but quality) amp, whether or not I can improve the audio quality a bit without replacing the speakers, given that they can handle far more wattage than the head unit puts out.

Usually that's the limitation. If an audiophile, both are the limitation.

Thanks for the heads up re: speaker in stock

Also, I believe a head unit only needs enough power to drive the amplifier. It acts like a pre-amp. So the final wattage or power to the speakers in a system with an amplifier depends on the amplifier’s capability. The speakers then need be within power capability of the amplifier. My thoughts

2 hours ago, sburke91 said:

You're most welcome.  Once I saw the photo, I was pretty sure it was the same one that's in my boat.

Most any speaker will see an improvement in both volume and sound quality with the addition of an external amplifier.  

Ok sport fans, I have an update on the speaker issue in my SIG270.

First, it is a Panasonic Speaker (Part # 44.00052, 6 1/2", 160 Watt, 4 Ohm). This is the upgrade. 

Cecil Marine has it in stock, and I ordered it today. About $95.00 delivered.

Oddly, the speaker grill, which is 304 SS, costs as much as the speaker! But, I can use my existing grill.

My local dealer, Sunrise Marine in Florida, took a week and still could not get the part number or anything on the speaker; so I googled the information Sean provided here, and found it and confirm the speaker at Cecil Marine indeed is my speaker. Then, I used a strong knife and flathead screwdriver to remove the defective speaker and verified the part number, etc. clearly printed on the back of the speaker. She also advised I was only 20 days outside of the one year warranty!!!  Bummer, since this is obviously a manufacturing defect (less than 6 hours total use on the speaker). Oh well ...

Thanks guys for all the useful advice. 

Now, waiting on replacement speaker.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:28 AM, Cycleman07 said:

Replaced all my Panasonic 6.5's with Kicker Marine KM series...Best decision I have ever made.  Wet Sounds Sub.  Sounds great. 

Did these direct mount up, or did you have to drill new holes/enlarge anything?

15 hours ago, sburke91 said:

Did these direct mount up, or did you have to drill new holes/enlarge anything?

The KM series 6.5's were direct mount up.  I did have to enlarge the hole (not by much) for the Wetsounds 10FA sub and drill a couple new holes as the Wetsounds had more mounting holes compared to the panasonic sub.  

Bryon - Thanks for the heads up on the LED lights in the speakers. We've not had the boat out at night so have never seen this. I LIKE this feature. I love little blue LED lights that let me know things are working.

Also heard from Joe Celano at Cecil Marine. He said he thought this speaker might still be under warranty and he'll check into that. If so, he offered to refund my payment and I'll send him the defective speaker. Now, he did this without my asking, so I consider this the highest level of customer service anyone could expect. Very thoughtful. So, naturally, in the future ALL my boating purchase will be with my new friends at Cecil Marine. I highly recommend them, and especially Joe Celano!! Thanks again, Joe.

Joe Dixon