Jump to content
247SSX

Towing Survey/Question

Recommended Posts

Wingnut, much to chew on there. All helpful as ways to keep the current vehicle in the family. I am leaning towards the overkill like I usually would. The last concerns for a new vehicle is 2500 vs. 1500 vs. seating. Staying with GMC or Chevy it seems the 2500HD version of both is more than I need and I like that, BUT, seating maxes out at 5. If I go Yukon (or Tahoe) or Yukon XL (or Suburban) I get the 373 with the max tow package and 4WD for getting out of ramps AND i can seat 7 or 8 to go places. My perfect scenario doesn't exist anymore. A Suburban built on a 2500 platform. I have to make a choice here in the next two weeks. We are headed to Lake Powell using something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 247SSX said:

Wingnut, much to chew on there. All helpful as ways to keep the current vehicle in the family. I am leaning towards the overkill like I usually would. The last concerns for a new vehicle is 2500 vs. 1500 vs. seating. Staying with GMC or Chevy it seems the 2500HD version of both is more than I need and I like that, BUT, seating maxes out at 5. If I go Yukon (or Tahoe) or Yukon XL (or Suburban) I get the 373 with the max tow package and 4WD for getting out of ramps AND i can seat 7 or 8 to go places. My perfect scenario doesn't exist anymore. A Suburban built on a 2500 platform. I have to make a choice here in the next two weeks. We are headed to Lake Powell using something.

Yes the 3/4 ton suburban's and Tahoe's filled the niche of hauling heavy and carrying a lot of people.  Unfortunately they have been cut, but overall demand was probably low  With that said the problem with the Tahoe is payload as they are only 1600lbs.  8 people loaded in that truck alone probably account for 1000lbs or more, hook a trailer to it and you have already busted your payload rating and that's without coolers and towels.  Even then Tahoe's can tow around 6k with the 5.3 and 8 with the 6.2.  Great vehicles for sure, just not meant to tow heavy. 

 

As far as room if you don't get the traditional 60/40 seating with the column shifter you can get 6 people in the truck.  After owning all three kind of trucks in crew crab, the biggest interior was dodge, ford, then chevy.  Although innovative in many aspects don't think Id buy a dodge again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mentioned pulling out of the ramps. 4 wheel drive is not much of an advantage as ramp incline and tongue weight dictates percentage of weight on rear axle during pull out and puts little weight on the front wheels anyway. Our ramp is STEEP and my C-1500 is 2 wd with a posi-traction 242 ratio rear and it does fine. I like the fact that my 5.7 still gets 20 mpg on average when not towing the boat but it sure does know that big block 256 SSX is back there when I do tow. I don't tow far while at the same time I would not hesitate to do so, and have in the past. In the end you are the guy that needs to feel comfortable. Secondary loading on my ride is limited to Mary, myself, and a full cooler. W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 9:37 PM, 247SSX said:

HA! Love that. No stink-eye issue here, we are in Orange County (OC) and it is a very red dot in a blue state. Outside Austin in the Lakeway Dripping Springs area (Lake Travis) it is a red dot in a blue city in a red state. Any way towing from here to Havasu AZ everyone has 2500's, so no stink-eye! Thank you for the advice and I agree.

We live right next to Lakeway/Dripping Springs and recently completed a roundtrip from here to Lake Havasu towing our 246SSI with a RAM 1500 4x2.  We had no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear. Since you also have been on both Lake Travis and Lake Havasu isn't Havasu a very different body of water? Travis has no beaches but it has great views, places to stop and eat, rocks to jump from and coves. I like the desert. Also your boat is beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 247SSX said:

Good to hear. Since you also have been on both Lake Travis and Lake Havasu isn't Havasu a very different body of water? Travis has no beaches but it has great views, places to stop and eat, rocks to jump from and coves. I like the desert. Also your boat is beautiful.

They are different but as my wife says "they have the same color water".  :D  I grew up in Southern Calif. and we spent many a summer at Lake Havasu.  Travis is also a lot deeper than Havasu and most people "float" instead of throwing the anchor over (except in a couple party coves).  If you will be tubing/skiing/wake boarding, the other item to note is no one in TX uses the red flag to designate someone in the water so you'll always need to be on the lookout.  Let me know if you need thoughts on a marina in the area.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

You mentioned pulling out of the ramps. 4 wheel drive is not much of an advantage as ramp incline and tongue weight dictates percentage of weight on rear axle during pull out and puts little weight on the front wheels anyway. Our ramp is STEEP and my C-1500 is 2 wd with a posi-traction 242 ratio rear and it does fine. I like the fact that my 5.7 still gets 20 mpg on average when not towing the boat but it sure does know that big block 256 SSX is back there when I do tow. I don't tow far while at the same time I would not hesitate to do so, and have in the past. In the end you are the guy that needs to feel comfortable. Secondary loading on my ride is limited to Mary, myself, and a full cooler. W

I get the angle of the ramp and physics part of it, and frankly haven't had to use 4wd much myself.  But with that said sort of disagree, all 4 wheels having power is better than two when traction is needed, posi while great doesn't help when you start slipping.  When the ramp is wet having two tires on drive pavement up front does help.  But like you said if you are comfortable and load legally is met by your tow vehicle go with whatever makes is clever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I`ve towed my boat with a gas and diesel truck, diesel wins. Now I will say that diesels are not for everybody. Your boat is in the grey area, in my opinion. It could be done with either, with give and takes. There are some drawbacks with diesel for everyday driving, but you cant beat the power difference. If this is an everyday driver and you do not tow long distances I would opt for a stout gas, perhaps a 2500 frame with the 6.0 engine. If the truck is not needed as an everyday driver and you tow long distances or in hilly terrain, get a diesel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I get the angle of the ramp and physics part of it, and frankly haven't had to use 4wd much myself.  But with that said sort of disagree, all 4 wheels having power is better than two when traction is needed, posi while great doesn't help when you start slipping.  When the ramp is wet having two tires on drive pavement up front does help.  But like you said if you are comfortable and load legally is met by your tow vehicle go with whatever makes is clever.

The nerve on you, to actually disagree with the fellowship?!  Without face-planting 5 4-wheel and 5 2-wheel ramp launches (for a total of 10) and qualifying for the Wehrmacht's OperFuhrershwantzelheinren at the Wolf's Lair LMFAO, you can't be commenting or speculating or disagreeing with the fellowship!  Dang, man.  :haha-7383:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is done. Thank you for all the input. We went with the million mile truck - 2018 Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax 4WD  Crew Cab

Sitting in my driveway waiting for orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 247SSX said:

It is done. Thank you for all the input. We went with the million mile truck - 2018 Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax 4WD  Crew Cab

Sitting in my driveway waiting for orders.

Wow, you don't mess around. The front truck bumper will arrive at the ramp a half hour before the boat. One thing is for sure, you will barely know the boat is back there and those Isuzu Dura-Max engines are whisper quiet.  W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4700 lb dry boat, add 1200 for an aluminum trailer, add 500-700 for gear and gas.  approx 6500 lbs.  new 1500 can tow (depending on configuration) upto 12,500 lbs.  . but it sounds like you want to get a new big toy.  have fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hatem said:

The nerve on you, to actually disagree with the fellowship?!  Without face-planting 5 4-wheel and 5 2-wheel ramp launches (for a total of 10) and qualifying for the Wehrmacht's OperFuhrershwantzelheinren at the Wolf's Lair LMFAO, you can't be commenting or speculating or disagreeing with the fellowship!  Dang, man.  :haha-7383:  

lol.  I appreciate everybodys input and have no problem with what they want to do.  But with that said on an incline with potential wet pavement power to 4 wheels is always better than 2, and I would gander that even if the front is lighter in that scenario it still has a few thousand pounds sitting on it.  Now the question if you need it or don't is another and only that person can answer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I purchased my boat from the previous owner he wasn’t quite sure how much it weighed on the trailer so the first thing I did was take it to the cat scale and weighed it  off the truck it weighd just a little bit over 6000 pounds with a half tank of fuel. I am kind of in the market for a truck myself to pull my 2002  230 SSI  I borrowed my uncles 2017 F150 with the eco boost and it was very impressive.  It felt like I had more power in the pedal and wanted to go A week ago I rented a ram  2017 1500 w/ 5.7L with a hemi  and was not very impressed. It’s pulled fine but it didn’t feel like there is much more there if I wanted.  I was pulling up a good fairly good grade up one of the canyon to get to our local reservoir.  I did have a 2008 ram 2500 with a Cummins in that pulled like animal? I think I’ve narrowed it down to the F 150 with an eco-boost or a diesel. Good luck on the truck quest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Powell obsessed said:

When I purchased my boat from the previous owner he wasn’t quite sure how much it weighed on the trailer so the first thing I did was take it to the cat scale and weighed it  off the truck it weighd just a little bit over 6000 pounds with a half tank of fuel. I am kind of in the market for a truck myself to pull my 2002  230 SSI  I borrowed my uncles 2017 F150 with the eco boost and it was very impressive.  It felt like I had more power in the pedal and wanted to go A week ago I rented a ram  2017 1500 w/ 5.7L with a hemi  and was not very impressed. It’s pulled fine but it didn’t feel like there is much more there if I wanted.  I was pulling up a good fairly good grade up one of the canyon to get to our local reservoir.  I did have a 2008 ram 2500 with a Cummins in that pulled like animal? I think I’ve narrowed it down to the F 150 with an eco-boost or a diesel. Good luck on the truck quest. 

Not a brand homer here.  Have owned a 2014 Silverado 5.3, 3.73 gears max tow,  2016 Ram 5.7, 3.92 gears, and now a 2015 F150 3.5 ecoboost, 3.55 gears.  I can tell you out of the three the ford is a monster.  Key will be gearing.  With that said I wouldn't even consider towing with anything larger unless I was getting into the 8-9k lb category.   Disclaimer I have owned three Ford Diesels as well.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last after testing and making sure they get along is posting an image of the family rig. Now prepare for a trip down the road to see how they ride together. I really like this truck and you know I love this boat. Seeing them together gives me goosebumps :P.

 

rig2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Boise ID. As such, I very rarely tow to lakes that aren't in the mountains and at higher elevations. My tow rig is a 2013 F150 Super Crew with 3.5 Ecoboost. Towing a 236 SSX. No problems towing up grades. Even with everything fully loaded. 4x4 is really nice on slippery, steep ramps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, 247SSX said:

Wingnut, much to chew on there. All helpful as ways to keep the current vehicle in the family. I am leaning towards the overkill like I usually would. The last concerns for a new vehicle is 2500 vs. 1500 vs. seating. Staying with GMC or Chevy it seems the 2500HD version of both is more than I need and I like that, BUT, seating maxes out at 5. If I go Yukon (or Tahoe) or Yukon XL (or Suburban) I get the 373 with the max tow package and 4WD for getting out of ramps AND i can seat 7 or 8 to go places. My perfect scenario doesn't exist anymore. A Suburban built on a 2500 platform. I have to make a choice here in the next two weeks. We are headed to Lake Powell using something.

Watch your payload. It is listed on the door sticker. You may be surprised how little weight carrying capacity a Tahoe or Suburban has. 

Thats why my trusty 2016 Expedition became a 2018 F250 diesel...

brick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brick said:

Thats why my trusty 2016 Expedition became a 2018 F250 diesel...

Finally, the cat's out of the bag!  Congrats . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will feel a lot more stable and have power to spare if you get a 3/4 ton diesel.  I prefer a F250 for personal reasons but honestly I have friends with GMC's and Ram's and they each like their's equally as well.  Go test drive each one and decide for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did get a 3/4 ton ...  2500 series.

 

I love the new Rams but my Diesel mechanic told me to stay away from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, 247SSX said:

Wingnut, much to chew on there. All helpful as ways to keep the current vehicle in the family. I am leaning towards the overkill like I usually would. The last concerns for a new vehicle is 2500 vs. 1500 vs. seating. Staying with GMC or Chevy it seems the 2500HD version of both is more than I need and I like that, BUT, seating maxes out at 5. If I go Yukon (or Tahoe) or Yukon XL (or Suburban) I get the 373 with the max tow package and 4WD for getting out of ramps AND i can seat 7 or 8 to go places. My perfect scenario doesn't exist anymore. A Suburban built on a 2500 platform. I have to make a choice here in the next two weeks. We are headed to Lake Powell using something.

congrats on the GMC.  I have a '16 Silverado 2500 Duramax.  it pulls my 256 effortlessly.  Back seat is perfect for my kids too.  This is my 2nd Duramax and I'm hooked.  I love the power, reliability and the quiet engine.  Just a great package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×