Looking for input on bow riders

On 8/2/2018 at 3:20 PM, Chaparral Rider said:

Is NC like my state of MN, where everyone has a boat and there are a lot of barely used boats that the owner bought only to realize that boating is costly and harder than you would think to fit in to your life so they sell it in a year or two.

I wouldn't say everyone. I'm only basing this off what I see out there right now, which is pretty limited. I'm curious to see what comes available as the season starts to wind down.

On 8/2/2018 at 4:49 PM, Phillbo said:

Used is the best way to go....  Find a good clean 2-4 year old boat and have fun. Let someone else throw away a ton of cash. Go bigger than you think you want. 

Good advice, thanks. The depreciation hit is definitely the least attractive thing about a new one. I started out looking at 19', now I'm looking 21-23' range. Anything beyond that just isn't practical for what I'll be using it for and how often I'm able to get out.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:48 PM, Ponyboy96 said:

...Said it rode a lot better than their boat in the rough water. I told her not to tell her dad. 

Best advice I got when shopping was buy your next boat first. I think we did that and I have no desire for anything more than we have. 

That's very much my mindset, in this and a lot of things. Glad to hear you're satisfied with what you've got!

22 hours ago, tolson37 said:

I've got the 226 SSI Elite Package - has a 350 Mag (300HP) w Bravo 3.  No problem with power...  I'm not sure what other options there are.

That sounds like a sweet setup. That seems to be VERY hard to come by, at least ATM, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled and know there will be more that comes up for sale as the season ends. I really like the SSI line, but I see the writing on the walls from Chap that it's a dying breed. I've even seen rumors online, and a for sale listing of a 2019 H20 in 23'. If that's the case, I'd be surprised to see much from the SSI line this year.

On 8/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, VAboater said:

...portable governor (my wife)

This is the best thing I've read all week!! :haha-7383:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2014 H2O delux with a wakeboard tower.  It has been a fabulous boat and the perfect size for our family - definitely the right choice for us as we ski and wakeboard.  Like other hobbies (e.g., motorcycling) people are proud of the model they have and often encourage others to have the same.    I will likely buy another boat in a couple years - not because I don’t like my H2O or outgrown its size, but rather once we commit to wake surfing a majority of time.  Can’t wake surf behind my H2O so we wait until our friends join us with their surf boat.   Give some thought as to whether you and your family would ever be “wake surfers”.  Chaparral has some economical options for wake surfing/wake boarding/skiing.

There are some good Chaparral dealers here in NC.  As said above, buying used with a warranty from a dealer may be a great option.   I find here in NC that my family and I boat every weekend from late May until mid September.  About mid September we’re ready to move to our Fall hobbies.  So think about the length of season you’ll likely boat when considering which model best fits your needs and preferences.

Congratulations to you.  Exciting to explore which model and/or option makes the most sense for you - THEN GO GET IT!

Regards    

16 hours ago, JaminZ22 said:

The depreciation hit is definitely the least attractive thing about a new one. I started out looking at 19', now I'm looking 21-23' range. Anything beyond that just isn't practical for what I'll be using it for and how often I'm able to get out.

That's very much my mindset, in this and a lot of things. Glad to hear you're satisfied with what you've got!

That sounds like a sweet setup. That seems to be VERY hard to come by, at least ATM, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled and know there will be more that comes up for sale as the season ends. I really like the SSI line, but I see the writing on the walls from Chap that it's a dying breed. I've even seen rumors online, and a for sale listing of a 2019 H20 in 23'. If that's the case, I'd be surprised to see much from the SSI line this year.

No idea on the last SSi boat being curtailed for 2019 - would be 10 years in 2019 since WT line was introduced. Back when Chaparral made the 196  and 216 SSi WT models, with everything being equal they were generally quieter and a little nicer riding vs. same hull length H20 offerings - miss those boats, especially the 216 WT. Haven't drive the 21 H20, but on paper it looks to be nearly on par ride wise with the 216 WT which was quite good.

Just me who used to be a Merc guy, if I was looking at a 21' H20 and wanted stern drive power, I would personally opt for the Volvo 4.3 Gen V 240 hp option - too bad the 280 hp V6 version isn't offered. I have very little doubt the 240 hp version would out perform the older GM 305 cid 270 hp V8 (those new GM LS based Gen V engines are STRONG) and with all aluminum heads and block, plus variable valve timing and direct injection have a superior power to weight and torque band than the MerCruiser cast iron multi-port fuel injected offerings. Better fuel economy too.

If getting an H20, highly recommend getting the following: (Deluxe package at the very least)

- folding tower

- upgraded driver and passenger bucket seat options

- swim platform mat

- bow walk-thru door

- storage under PORT dash

- bow filler cushion

Hope you have fun shopping.

Chris

20 hours ago, NC-H20 said:

...Give some thought as to whether you and your family would ever be “wake surfers”.  Chaparral has some economical options for wake surfing/wake boarding/skiing.

There are some good Chaparral dealers here in NC.  As said above, buying used with a warranty from a dealer may be a great option.   I find here in NC that my family and I boat every weekend from late May until mid September.  About mid September we’re ready to move to our Fall hobbies.  So think about the length of season you’ll likely boat when considering which model best fits your needs and preferences.  

Great to see someone else from NC! Mind sharing what area you're in and what Chaparral dealers you've had good experience with? 

I've never tried wake surfing, but definitely would like to sometime. I've looked at the surf options and while I think it'd be a "nice to have" I think we'd benefit more from a traditional bowrider with an I/O as opposed to a dedicated wake boat, or the new surf series. I won't say I'll never have one, but I would foresee that being something more important after we have kids and they get old enough to do it.

5 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

Just me who used to be a Merc guy, if I was looking at a 21' H20 and wanted stern drive power, I would personally opt for the Volvo 4.3 Gen V 240 hp option...

If getting an H20, highly recommend getting the following: (Deluxe package at the very least)

- folding tower

- upgraded driver and passenger bucket seat options

- swim platform mat

- bow walk-thru door

- storage under PORT dash- bow filler cushion

I'm still researching the engines and admittedly know next to nothing about marine engines so this is good input - thanks! I've seen where some on here and the Facebook group have had vent/filter issues and am wondering if that's isolated to one engine or the other or if that particular problem is susceptible to both.

As for the options, everything you've listed is on my bare minimum list! I'm anxiously waiting for the site to be updated for 2019 to see if some of the stuff I've heard/read becomes reality...

Boats Unlimited: Greensboro, New Bern and Wilmington - Bobby Calfo is great to work with.  The guy storing his H2O next to mine bought from The Boat Rack at Lake Norman.  He had positive things about his dealer.

The above post regarding the H2O options to consider is “spot-on” - although we don’t use a bow walk-thru door.  Other items to consider are dual batteries and mooring lights.  I guess I am set in my ways regarding a Merc (although the Volvo Penta is used for the surf versions).   I had JL Audio sound system/cabin & tower speakers installed along with a Kenwood marine receiver - incredible difference and my kids use it non-stop.     

10 hours ago, JaminZ22 said:

I'm still researching the engines and admittedly know next to nothing about marine engines so this is good input - thanks! I've seen where some on here and the Facebook group have had vent/filter issues and am wondering if that's isolated to one engine or the other or if that particular problem is susceptible to both.

As for the options, everything you've listed is on my bare minimum list! I'm anxiously waiting for the site to be updated for 2019 to see if some of the stuff I've heard/read becomes reality...

Can you give me a little more back ground on the vent / filter issues?

10 hours ago, NC-H20 said:

The above post regarding the H2O options to consider is “spot-on” - although we don’t use a bow walk-thru door.  Other items to consider are dual batteries and mooring lights.  I guess I am set in my ways regarding a Merc (although the Volvo Penta is used for the surf versions).   I had JL Audio sound system/cabin & tower speakers installed along with a Kenwood marine receiver - incredible difference and my kids use it non-stop.     

Can understand why you don't use the bow door ; given the Great White North, the bow door sure is a nice option for cooler days or evenings to help extend the boating season - keeps the wife happier at any rate!

Very nice upgrade on the stereo too.

As I got more experienced with buying things.  I found out that it is way more enjoyable to buy a boat you VISUALLY like a lot.    A bunch of repairs can be in any boat.    New or used.

After the repairs. You will still like the boat.

They are adding a 23 H2O for 2019 and updating the interior of the entire H2O line.  Also some cool new options that I wish would have been available for mine...ie beachweave flooring instead of carpet, garmin GPS, not sure yet if dual batteries will be an option but it should be

I think a lot of the premium options were initially left off on purpose to get you to upgrade to an SSI or SSX but now that we see them adding them to the H2O line we may be starting to see the end of the SSI.

The 246 SSI will be back for '19 with no changes.  

The dealer meetings are in the next 2-3 weeks and I would expect the site to be updated around the first week of Sept. with the new models/options.

17 hours ago, NC-H20 said:

Boats Unlimited: Greensboro, New Bern and Wilmington - Bobby Calfo is great to work with.  The guy storing his H2O next to mine bought from The Boat Rack at Lake Norman.  He had positive things about his dealer.

Good to hear about Boats Unlimited and The Boat Rack. I've looked at both online and plan to visit both in person $^& well. Care to elaborate on your preference regarding Merc?

7 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

Can you give me a little more back ground on the vent / filter issues?

Here are a couple of threads that go into it. TL;DR version: there's an issue with fuel getting into the charcoal canister due to how the vent line is routed.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/38322-h20-fuel-vent-fixproblem/

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/30766-fuel-filling-problem/

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

As I got more experienced with buying things.  I found out that it is way more enjoyable to buy a boat you VISUALLY like a lot.    A bunch of repairs can be in any boat.    New or used.

After the repairs. You will still like the boat.

One reason that I may go new as opposed to used is because I'll be able to get EXACTLY what I want and not sacrifice. The problem right now is figuring out exactly what that is :rolleyes:. If I go the H2O route (possible 2019 color changes aside) my top 3 color options would be Red with black hull and graphic, Dark Grey with white hull and graphic, Navy with white hull and graphic. Black tower for red or gray option, probably white tower if I went navy.

4 hours ago, brclark82 said:

They are adding a 23 H2O for 2019 and updating the interior of the entire H2O line.  Also some cool new options that I wish would have been available for mine...ie beachweave flooring instead of carpet, garmin GPS, not sure yet if dual batteries will be an option but it should be

I think a lot of the premium options were initially left off on purpose to get you to upgrade to an SSI or SSX but now that we see them adding them to the H2O line we may be starting to see the end of the SSI.

The 246 SSI will be back for '19 with no changes.  

The dealer meetings are in the next 2-3 weeks and I would expect the site to be updated around the first week of Sept. with the new models/options.

Good to hear more confirmation about the 23'...just bad for my wallet lol. I REALLY like the new interior styling that I've seen on the few 21' 2019's out, but wondering if they'll have a different layout for the 23'. Beachweave instead of carpet is intriguing. I like the fact the carpet helps with heat on the floor, but I've never thought carpet + water was a great idea. 

Someone mentioned the bow door, It was 34 degrees last week in Minnesota up in the far north already...in early August.  Bow door is a must up here.  If you belong to the facebook group, it's all H20 talk it seems lately on the non-H20 group as people are swayed to the less expensive H20 line the past years even prior to discontinuing almost all of the SSi line.  Oddly enough, not a single H20 on my lake.  

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Someone mentioned the bow door, It was 34 degrees last week in Minnesota up in the far north already...in early August.  Bow door is a must up here.  If you belong to the facebook group, it's all H20 talk it seems lately on the non-H20 group as people are swayed to the less expensive H20 line the past years even prior to discontinuing almost all of the SSi line.  Oddly enough, not a single H20 on my lake.  

In August?!? Man, I'm glad I don't live up north (no offense). We've just been dealing with rain, rain, and more rain the past 2-3 weeks. The bow door isn't really a need for us, but more of a nice to have. I figure if I buy new, and potentially custom order, I might as well add as much as I can. I've noticed that about the conversation on FB too, I'm in both groups and there's a lot of good info there as well. Surprised you haven't seen one though.

I bought a ‘17 H2O 21 with everything but a tower. It was brand new but a holdover so I got it for $35k. It’s my first experience owning a boat so I didn’t want to spend a lot & end up not enjoying it. 30 hrs & a few rookie mistakes later I’m really happy with my purchasete. Mine has the 4.3 Volvo & it has plenty of power for me & although I like the sound of it it is pretty loud when cruising along around 20-30 mph. For those that say it's not enough power I kept up just fine with my cousin’s Tige that has a twin turbo Ford V8 out of a Raptor. His parents like riding on my boat better when we are all at the lake lol. Definitely needs a better stereo systhem  I don’t know why the heck the glove box is so small. That’s my biggest complaint besides a terrible dealer experience. I’d post a picture if I could get it to let me.

My .02:

My father and I purchase a 2018 21' H20 S&F with the Yamaha F200 OB at the end of May.  We are both really happy with our purchase, despite it being a lot of money to us.  I was in favor of looking at used boats, but my father could not be convinced.  I will say that the quality control on our boat was severely lacking; lots of minor things left undone or half-assed.  Overall we love the boat however.  We wanted something large enough to take a few people on for relaxing days on the water but still convenient for fishing inland lakes, and this does both well.  We have taken it on a week long trip to Eagle Lake in Ontario already this summer in addition to plenty of time on our local lakes.  I've performed the 20 hour maintenance myself, and we've had zero issues with the boat aside from the initial quality control items, which we plan to have addressed by the dealer in the off season.  I can confirm the factory stereo is rubbish; I've installed some JL Audio gear to address that.  The glove box is laughable as well, and we plan on replacing that with a larger unit at some point in the future.  We have the bow door which we honestly don't use that much, but may use more towards the end/beginning of the season.  We have rarely used the bow filler cushion either.  We opted for the deluxe package without the tower and are pleased with the upgrades.  The F200 OB provides plenty of power imho; we hit 49 on the GPS with the motor trimmed up.  The OB is also very economical on fuel.  I've only had 4 people on it thus far, but I think 6-8 could be done depending on how much gear they bring (we also have one console completely full of batteries and a charger for the trolling motor which you wouldn't have in the sport).  We get compliments everywhere we take the boat, and are certainly pleased with it.  I am jealous of some of the things it looks like they're changing for 2019 though!

- Eric

18 hours ago, Olson070707 said:

I bought a ‘17 H2O 21 with everything but a tower. It was brand new but a holdover so I got it for $35k. It’s my first experience owning a boat so I didn’t want to spend a lot & end up not enjoying it. 30 hrs & a few rookie mistakes later I’m really happy with my purchasete. Mine has the 4.3 Volvo & it has plenty of power for me & although I like the sound of it it is pretty loud when cruising along around 20-30 mph. For those that say it's not enough power I kept up just fine with my cousin’s Tige that has a twin turbo Ford V8 out of a Raptor. His parents like riding on my boat better when we are all at the lake lol. Definitely needs a better stereo systhem  I don’t know why the heck the glove box is so small. That’s my biggest complaint besides a terrible dealer experience. I’d post a picture if I could get it to let me.

Glad you're enjoying the boat - sounds like you got a great deal! I'm not afraid of not enjoying it enough, it's just going to be a lifestyle adjustment in order to get to use it a lot. I'd really love to get more opinions on the Merc 4.5 250hp vs. the VP 240. I've done a little reading on the forums and elsewhere online, but haven't spent much time on that aspect yet.

@Unclebenny - what about the quality control did you think was lacking? Would love to know what to really pay attention to when getting serious with shopping.

I see a lot of people upgrading the sound systems so I'm wondering, is it worth paying for the sound system upgrade to get the rear controller and then just add a sub, amp, and more speakers, or is it better to go with the base system and then add on to that?

13 hours ago, JaminZ22 said:

Glad you're enjoying the boat - sounds like you got a great deal! I'm not afraid of not enjoying it enough, it's just going to be a lifestyle adjustment in order to get to use it a lot. I'd really love to get more opinions on the Merc 4.5 250hp vs. the VP 240. I've done a little reading on the forums and elsewhere online, but haven't spent much time on that aspect yet.

@Unclebenny - what about the quality control did you think was lacking? Would love to know what to really pay attention to when getting serious with shopping.

I see a lot of people upgrading the sound systems so I'm wondering, is it worth paying for the sound system upgrade to get the rear controller and then just add a sub, amp, and more speakers, or is it better to go with the base system and then add on to that?

The quality control issues were evident upon taking a closer look at just about anything on my boat.  The screwed in snaps for cushions weren't even close to being level/even for instance.  1 snap would be 1/2" lower than the adjacent one.  The console storage doors weren't aligned well, and would rub.  We had 1 snap on the carpet that didn't work from the get go.  We had some scratches on the exterior of the boat as well as a few dings and chipped paint on the interior.  Quite a few fasteners missing/loose; I found masking tape and about 8 nuts and screws rolling around in the bottom of the boat when we received it.  A clamp for the fuel hose not attached to anything.  The pump for our live well didn't work straight away, but the dealer has resolved that already.  We have lots of areas inside the boat that weren't painted, so you can see the raw wood and fiberglass.  The scuppers in our transom aren't even close to being flush mounted, they stick out a 1/4 of an inch and hardly have any caulk behind them.  I could go on, but I think you get the picture.  It's clear they are slapping these things together as fast as possible with little attention to detail.  Again, none of these are major issues by any means, just disappointing and things that I'll now have to rely on the dealer to hopefully remedy.  Overall it's a fantastic boat, we enjoy it and get a lot of compliments.  It's only when you take a closer look, the kind you take when you own something, that you notice these little things.  

I think a lot of folks would advise against spending the $400 or whatever it was to upgrade the stereo from Chap.  I specifically didn't do so because I knew my $400 would do more for me if I put it towards higher quality aftermarket equipment.  The factory Panasonic speakers are pretty poor.  I've also found that with Bluetooth, I never wish I had the transom controls since my phone is always with me or on the back of the boat(waterproof iPhone).  

20 minutes ago, Unclebenny said:

The quality control issues were evident upon taking a closer look at just about anything on my boat.  The screwed in snaps for cushions weren't even close to being level/even for instance.  1 snap would be 1/2" lower than the adjacent one.  The console storage doors weren't aligned well, and would rub.  We had 1 snap on the carpet that didn't work from the get go.  We had some scratches on the exterior of the boat as well as a few dings and chipped paint on the interior.  Quite a few fasteners missing/loose; I found masking tape and about 8 nuts and screws rolling around in the bottom of the boat when we received it.  A clamp for the fuel hose not attached to anything.  The pump for our live well didn't work straight away, but the dealer has resolved that already.  We have lots of areas inside the boat that weren't painted, so you can see the raw wood and fiberglass.  The scuppers in our transom aren't even close to being flush mounted, they stick out a 1/4 of an inch and hardly have any caulk behind them.  I could go on, but I think you get the picture.  It's clear they are slapping these things together as fast as possible with little attention to detail.  Again, none of these are major issues by any means, just disappointing and things that I'll now have to rely on the dealer to hopefully remedy.  Overall it's a fantastic boat, we enjoy it and get a lot of compliments.  It's only when you take a closer look, the kind you take when you own something, that you notice these little things.  

I think a lot of folks would advise against spending the $400 or whatever it was to upgrade the stereo from Chap.  I specifically didn't do so because I knew my $400 would do more for me if I put it towards higher quality aftermarket equipment.  The factory Panasonic speakers are pretty poor.  I've also found that with Bluetooth, I never wish I had the transom controls since my phone is always with me or on the back of the boat(waterproof iPhone).  

Wow, that's a longer list than I was expecting. I know these are "entry level" boats, but would still expect better attention to detail in the manufacturing/assembly process to not negatively affect Chap's brand image. I've always found Chaps to be some of the best looking boats out there, and I've still yet to find anything at this price point to catch my eye as much as the Chaps.

On 8/6/2018 at 1:01 PM, JaminZ22 said:

In August?!? Man, I'm glad I don't live up north (no offense). We've just been dealing with rain, rain, and more rain the past 2-3 weeks. The bow door isn't really a need for us, but more of a nice to have. I figure if I buy new, and potentially custom order, I might as well add as much as I can. I've noticed that about the conversation on FB too, I'm in both groups and there's a lot of good info there as well. Surprised you haven't seen one though.

We offset the cold weather with the third highest taxes and cost of living in the country so there is always that....ha ha.  The new boats or should I say the newer boats on the lake since the H20 series came out are almost all pontoons/tritoons or actual Surf boats.  Bowriders are dying a slow death and quickly becoming a relic here.  I haven't seen a new bowrider for years on our lake which is one of the largest in the state.  I'm not a new boat buyer because used provides so much value but If I was, I would likely option it up as much as possible because I'd probably be keeping it for a while.  My previous chap didn't though newer, didn't have the bow door option and it was annoying.  

2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

We offset the cold weather with the third highest taxes and cost of living in the country so there is always that....ha ha.  The new boats or should I say the newer boats on the lake since the H20 series came out are almost all pontoons/tritoons or actual Surf boats.  Bowriders are dying a slow death and quickly becoming a relic here.  I haven't seen a new bowrider for years on our lake which is one of the largest in the state.  I'm not a new boat buyer because used provides so much value but If I was, I would likely option it up as much as possible because I'd probably be keeping it for a while.  My previous chap didn't though newer, didn't have the bow door option and it was annoying.  

I just can't get on the pontoon/tritoon bandwagon. They're great for what they are, and I know people love them, but when I think "boat" that's just not what come to my mind. I feel like bowriders check a lot of boxes for cruising, watersports, shallow areas (to an extent), relaxing, etc. I think in regards to new vs. used, I'm more on the fence now than ever (previously pretty hard set on new). There are some used SSI's and SSX's around that I really like (all at or less than 3 years old) that have really peaked my interest, but now I'm having to figure out what kind of power options I should be looking for within those series. Good thing I've got plenty of time to research...  

When you buy a entry level boat.  Do / are you supposed to use cheaper money ? 

Entry level talk is very degrading. Like you are inferior.   I dislike that elitist talk any time I hear it.

All the special purpose boats are great to me. At different age points in my life. They are great for kids fishing away from shore.  I chum the perch up for the kids. Then they enjoy feeding those dinner fish.  Win  Win  :)

32 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

When you buy a entry level boat.  Do / are you supposed to use cheaper money ? 

Entry level talk is very degrading. Like you are inferior.   I dislike that elitist talk any time I hear it.

All the special purpose boats are great to me. At different age points in my life. They are great for kids fishing away from shore.  I chum the perch up for the kids. Then they enjoy feeding those dinner fish.  Win  Win  :)

Lol, "let's see if I can buy this thing with Monopoly money".

Personally, when I say or hear "entry level" I don't mean/think lower quality or inferior. Instead, I can accept that the H2O line doesn't have all the bells and whistles and other luxury items that the other models do. You've got to cut out some things to be within an affordable price point that will get new people into the lifestyle. With that said, I would hope Chaparral's quality is consistent across the board from their cheapest boat to their most expensive - although I what I'm hearing is that's not quite the case. 

31 minutes ago, JaminZ22 said:

I would hope Chaparral's quality is consistent across the board from their cheapest boat to their most expensive - although I what I'm hearing is that's not quite the case. 

Agree . . .