Sign in to follow this  
Wingnut

Upper Chesapeake

Been boating on the Chesapeake Bay since 1970 and with the exception of Hurricane Isabel, I have never seen more floating debris than I did yesterday. Due to the unrelenting rains in the upper Susquehanna Valley, the Conowingo Dam Authority had 12 flood gates open for an extended period and by early afternoon you could almost walk from Sparrows Point to Rockhall without getting your feet wet. Uprooted trees up to 2' in diameter with some over 30' long. The organic stuff I can almost understand as the river's coastline extends through Pennsylvania, and into upper New Your State, but the car fuel tank, refrigerator, plastic 55 gallon drums, and the like you have to believe are the result of irresponsible waterfront property owners. If you are out there today, keep your eyes open.  W

I think the official count was 20 open gates at the peak.

i picked a good weekend to pull the boat and take her up to Lake George!

That's some nasty stuff. I'm am always reluctant to take my boat for a ride after heavy rains. Fortunately, I have never seen any refrigerators and other stuff you mention. But we get the huge trees, branches or tons of sticks. Submerged stuff can be nerve racking.

36 minutes ago, Toddavid said:

I think the official count was 20 open gates at the peak.

i picked a good weekend to pull the boat and take her up to Lake George!

Looking better this morning and they say the peak has passed. We expect this in April but not July. So much farm and urban run off. Now comes the algae blooms and the waiting game until the bacteria levels subside. Maryland cut funding to their beach water quality testing program and in this area it's once a month now. Waiting game and sad because so far this season the bay looked pretty good. If you go to the website, it indicates that everything if fine. Real disservice to the thousands that frequent this vital waterway. Last Friday was an "update" day up north and I see 5 new advisories have showed up since yesterday. Little wonder as I saw several dead fish and O2 levels are really low here.  W

http://www.marylandhealthybeaches.org/current-conditions.php

thanks for your note!  I'm headed out today to Annapolis, and planning to stay in Severn River -- good to know that there's debris out in the Bay!  Also, thanks for sending the link about beaches/water quality -- I didn't know this existed!

A lot of rain in southern PA. Hershey park was flooded for several days. Maybe it's not just brown water.

I kept my boat on my lift until the river stopped looking like the chocolate river in Willie Wonka. I still saw some huge branches but at least the water was clearing up. Thanks for the advisory, Wingnut!

Did a run on the Elk River today. First one since the dam release and huge mess.  A little more debris than normal but very navigable!

9 hours ago, Frank K said:

Did a run on the Elk River today. First one since the dam release and huge mess.  A little more debris than normal but very navigable!

Looked good on the Eastern Shore south from Still Pond also. Water clarity was even above average, and beach report water testing show nominal bacteria levels. Sandy Point state park still shows closed as the prevailing winds pushed the "Susquehanna Lumber Yard" directly on to their shores and clean-up continues. W

On 8/7/2018 at 8:18 AM, Wingnut said:

Looked good on the Eastern Shore south from Still Pond also. Water clarity was even above average, and beach report water testing show nominal bacteria levels. Sandy Point state park still shows closed as the prevailing winds pushed the "Susquehanna Lumber Yard" directly on to their shores and clean-up continues. W

Saw a thin band of branches and junk floating on the Patapsco and the bay last weekend. Hopefully that was the last of it for the season.

More mud and debris coming south, 12 dam gates opened yesterday.

However, I’m on the Bohemia River right now, north of Turkey Point, and water is normal looking and free of debris, we’re “upwind” of the flow.

I travel over the Conowingo Dam every workday, it's a mess. They load up dumpsters but they are not able to get ahead of the debris.