Hello to anyone listening (I’m going to rant so third paragraph begins my questions) I purchased a 2017 H2O sport back in February. It was a holdover model & it is my first experience with owning a boat. I’ve already put 30 hrs on it & so far it’s treated me well besides an anchor issue that will cost me a new seat cushion this winter. I am experiencing an issue with trying to put gas in it that I already read up about. Water is getting into the vent that is in the side of the hull & when I fuel up it pushes the water out but kicks the pump off b/c it’s not venting. I knew from reading reviews that the H2O was not a high end boat but that is what attracted me to it since it’s my first go round boating. 

Since it was a ‘17 that was being sold at a huge discount I bought it from only seeing pictures online from a dealer in northern Iowa. I live in central Nebraska & the dealer in my hometown is a Chap dealer but the same boat in an ‘18 would have cost me $15k more. For this reason I believe the dealer I purchased it from gave me less than mediocre service. The boat was filthy, scuffed up a lot (removed with a lot of effort) & has a couple chips in the fiberglass in the interior (possibly from repairs that had to be done that delayed delivery for 3 weeks). The dealer offered an on water orientation that sucked. The guy was rude, gave horrible advice, & had me dock in a terrible spot with no bumpers & against my better judgement I followed his instructions & put a big scuff down the side. The salesman won’t answer my emails or returns calls & looking at their website they don’t sell Chaparrals anymore. Interesting thing is the boat had obviously been in the water a couple times but the hour meter said 0 when I took delivery.

For the above reasons above I don’t want to bother with them or give them another penny but not buying from my local dealer pissed them off. The boat is missing a decal in the bow. A simple H2O emblem with the bird that should have been there & I would like to get one. Does anyone know if this can be acquired directly from Chaparral or know a part number? 

This winter I plan to upgrade the wimpy stereo (mine is the deluxe w/ a clarion head unit) any suggestions on speakers? I’m thinking the Infinity’s with lights in them & I’m thinking about adding 2 more below the seats in the back. Probably will add some underwater lights in the back also so any suggestions there would be great.

The glovebox is a joke & I’m considering having a friend that used to build boats extend it back into the storage area. Anyone done something like this? I’m sure that would void a warranty though. 

I ran across an article before I took delivery regarding different props for cruising but I can’t find it now. If you’ve changed props what did you go with & what was the results?

Since I’m completely new to boating  any suggestions for maintenance on these 21 H2Os or things to watch out for is appreciated. Sorry for the tldr novel  

Happy boating to you all.

ABED3D07-B1A9-48D3-9989-E45788C0FC98.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:25 AM, Olson070707 said:

I am experiencing an issue with trying to put gas in it that I already read up about. Water is getting into the vent that is in the side of the hull & when I fuel up it pushes the water out but kicks the pump off b/c it’s not venting. I knew from reading reviews that the H2O was not a high end boat but that is what attracted me to it since it’s my first go round boating. 

Just make sure the vent hose goes UP after it comes through the hull.  Did you have problems from day 1 with this?  If so, it was in the water before you bought it...………..

I have a 2016 Sport and we have really enjoyed it!  Good luck with the dealer...……….  There are some good ones out there.

Sounds like you got a great deal so be happy about that!  Too bad it goes with a dealer discontinuing Chap.

My vent line does go up from the fitting but only a few inches.  But I don't think I have any water in the line or carbon canister.  However, it does fill slowly, at least at first , and our marina is aware of the issue.  Apparently it is a common problem now days because the attendant was explaining how he lets it go slowly at first and then once the air is moving, he speeds up etc. etc.

Agreed, the glove box is a joke - why not make it a real one, lots of room back there!  But I knew that when I bought it.

Our new 18 21 H20 had a couple of minor issues that needed resolving but all in all, we love our boat.  Perfect for our lake setting, not too big, but big enough.   A nice improvement over our former 1999 1830SS which was a great boat for an 18 footer.

Be patient,  things will get sorted out and celebrate your great deal!  I looked all over the northeast and there were no great deals to be had.   

On 8/8/2018 at 11:24 AM, JeffL said:

Just make sure the vent hose goes UP after it comes through the hull.  Did you have problems from day 1 with this?  If so, it was in the water before you bought it...………..

I have a 2016 Sport and we have really enjoyed it!  Good luck with the dealer...……….  There are some good ones out there.

Thanks JeffL, It didn’t give me any issues the first couple times we took it out & It only did it twice after long days out on the water. I haven’t had time to check the hose but going to do that before we go out again. 

On 8/8/2018 at 5:26 PM, Sacandaga said:

Sounds like you got a great deal so be happy about that!  Too bad it goes with a dealer discontinuing Chap.

My vent line does go up from the fitting but only a few inches.  But I don't think I have any water in the line or carbon canister.  However, it does fill slowly, at least at first , and our marina is aware of the issue.  Apparently it is a common problem now days because the attendant was explaining how he lets it go slowly at first and then once the air is moving, he speeds up etc. etc.

Agreed, the glove box is a joke - why not make it a real one, lots of room back there!  But I knew that when I bought it.

Our new 18 21 H20 had a couple of minor issues that needed resolving but all in all, we love our boat.  Perfect for our lake setting, not too big, but big enough.   A nice improvement over our former 1999 1830SS which was a great boat for an 18 footer.

Be patient,  things will get sorted out and celebrate your great deal!  I looked all over the northeast and there were no great deals to be had.   

Sacandaga, It was a couple nerve wracking months waiting to take delivery since I bought it sight unseen & while waiting I kept scouring the internet & kept finding used ones for more than what I paid. It’d be nice if you could fit more than one phone in the glovebox at least lol!