Sign in to follow this  
bobinstpete

fuel issues 1994 sunesta 220 i.o.

I have a sunesta 220 with a chevy 350 newly rebuilt engine.  New mechanical fuel pump, new fuel filter/water separator.  When I am at 3200 rpms things are great for 10 minutes, then the engine sounds like it is gasping for air.  Shuts down to 1500 rpms, runs smooth and quiet again, but when I hit the throttle, I get nothing more.  Had the gas tested,  passed the test and no water in fuel tank.  Changed fuel filter/water separator, same problem.  Was told that there is a paper filter (stone filter) at the carburetor, but there is none, and no place for it.  Not sure what my next step is.  2 mechanics can't find anything.

Have you tried cracking the water separator when it does this? You may be getting vapor lock in the water separator. As soon as you start to unscrew the water separator you'll hear the air come out if that's the problem.

Racing buddy had a old race boat restored completely. Engine did similar things. 1 thing was not done. A complete cleanout of the fuel tank. A slime ball was rolling around & was smothering the screened pickup tube on acceleration. Deceleration it rolled away. After a steam clean. No odd ball fuel problems

I pulled out the pickup tube yesterday to check it, and also replaced the anti siphon valve attached.  The screen in the pickup tube was full.  I took the screen out and will test the boat tomorrow.  I think that was the problem.  The fuel pump put out more gas after the fix than before.  Thanks

I would suggest you also replace the rubber fuel line from tank to filter, mine was the cause of my issues several years ago.  Quick and easy to replace plus the rubber is definitely bad by now.