Sign in to follow this  
Dozer

Pronautic 1240P Battery charger Failure

Just wondering if anyone here has had issues with Pronautic chargers?

My Pronautic 1240P failed. It has 120V power supply to the terminals, but it doesn't turn on. According to manufacturer, it's toast.
I've only had this boat for less than a year- I'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner had it for 3 years, and the first purchased it at the beginning of 2007. I still keep in touch with the second owner and he DID NOT install the charger...so I don't know for sure if this charger was Original Equipment or installed after the initial purchase.

If it was original equipment, than it would make it 12 years old, and according to the Tech Support at Promariner the normal lifespan for the 1240P units is about 10 years... not sure how much of this is a fact or BS.
So I purchased a new one on Amazon and will be installing it in the next day or so.

IF you have had any issues with this same or similar model, please let me know.
Thanks

My boat is 13 years old and I had to replace my ProMarinier 3 times.  No way in #$^% will their product will last 10 years.  I had them even tell they had a problem with one of their chips in their chargers and they could not tell which models were an issue since they were just tossed into a bin during assembly.  

They have a discount program buying it directly from them.  Did they offer it to you?

I would call ProMarinier and get a new one from them. Mine died to a few years ago, they were great to deal with.

2 hours ago, The Great Escape II said:

My boat is 13 years old and I had to replace my ProMarinier 3 times.  No way in #$^% will their product will last 10 years.  I had them even tell they had a problem with one of their chips in their chargers and they could not tell which models were an issue since they were just tossed into a bin during assembly.  

They have a discount program buying it directly from them.  Do they offer it to you?

Yep!

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, Dozer said:

IF you have had any issues with this same or similar model, please let me know.
Thanks

No, but I'm about to install a new ProMariner ProNautic 12-30P 30 amp charger to replace the current one which is probably 8 years old at the most. 

If the charger in your boat is 12 years old, then good for it for lasting this long.  Is there a typical life expectancy to these things?  Probably based on frequency of usage.

Did you check your fuses.

Last year I thought my charger was toast.

I disconnected the power and rebooted  it up, replaced the fuses and it,s been fine.

Worth a shot

Mine failed last fall. It was 9 years old at the time. Lost one for the bow thurster after about 5 years.

3 hours ago, mpm330 said:

Mine failed last fall. It was 9 years old at the time. Lost one for the bow thurster after about 5 years.

You have a separate charger just for the bow thruster, Mike?  Just curious why it's not connected to the main batteries' charger?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

You have a separate charger just for the bow thruster, Mike?  Just curious why it's not connected to the main batteries' charger?

Under the table in the bow is where the bow thruster is located. Everything is in that compartment. The thurster, battery, & charger. I think it is done this way because of current that the thruster draws and how far the main charger is from the bow. 

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

The cables to the the battery would have to be very large. With such a large run, if there is a voltage drop due to that. The  battery will charge up properly.

Also a boat like that has 2 starting batteries and a bank of house. Plus one for the thuster so it not uncommon to have more than one charger.

19 minutes ago, Iggy said:

The cables to the the battery would have to be very large. With such a large run, if there is a voltage drop due to that. The  battery will charge up properly.

Also a boat like that has 2 starting batteries and a bank of house. Plus one for the thuster so it not uncommon to have more than one charger.

Yep, 5 batteries, hits the pocket book hard when replacing them. About 5 years ago I changed over to all glass mats to do away with the problem with water.

As far as the reliability of the chargers, it looks as if they last 10 years you are doing good. Considering were they live that may not be too bad.

1 hour ago, mpm330 said:

Under the table in the bow is where the bow thruster is located. Everything is in that compartment. The thurster, battery, & charger. I think it is done this way because of current that the thruster draws and how far the main charger is from the bow. 

Yeah I realize that most thrusters need their batteries to be nearby for the significant voltage drop per usage, just wasn't aware the charger needed to be also because either way, charger has to get current from alternator to feed the battery, right?  So that's a long distance, hence what's the difference?  I'm also asking because I'm trying to understand my options a bit better since a bowrider has much more limited space in the bow floor than a cabin cruiser to fit all that shhtttuff.

My setup needs to look something like this sailboats', minus the terribly unprotected terminal connection.

dangerous-thruster_001.jpg

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yeah I realize that most thrusters need their batteries to be nearby for the significant voltage drop per usage, just wasn't aware the charger needed to be also because either way, charger has to get current from alternator to feed the battery, right?  So that's a long distance, hence what's the difference?  I'm also asking because I'm trying to understand my options a bit better since a bowrider has much more limited space in the bow floor than a cabin cruiser to fit all that shhtttuff.

My setup needs to look something like this sailboats', minus the terribly unprotected terminal connection.

dangerous-thruster_001.jpg

Battery for the thruster doesn't get power from the alternator, just from the battery charger. Usage is in short bursts so the battery can handle that. Then recharge when you have AC.

8 hours ago, mpm330 said:

Battery for the thruster doesn't get power from the alternator, just from the battery charger. Usage is in short bursts so the battery can handle that. Then recharge when you have AC.

Interesting.  So you've never used up all the power in the battery while out of the marina?  There's never been a scenario where you've used the bow thruster enough to drain it, away from the dock?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Interesting.  So you've never used up all the power in the battery while out of the marina?  There's never been a scenario where you've used the bow thruster enough to drain it, away from the dock?

The battery has enough power, kind of like a trolling motor on a fishing boat. The only time it didn't have enough power was when the charger had failed and I didn't know. 

Along with the motor, battery, and charger there is a battery switch and 25 amp fuse. All located in the bow area. 

39 minutes ago, mpm330 said:

The battery has enough power, kind of like a trolling motor on a fishing boat. The only time it didn't have enough power was when the charger had failed and I didn't know. 

Along with the motor, battery, and charger there is a battery switch and 25 amp fuse. All located in the bow area. 

Ok, thanks much.  I need to plan mine well so it's done right the first time.

BTW, I've been dying to ask you this for a while: what's up with the giant penguin?  Did you carve that yourself? 

What about all you fellas with windlass anchors, how are those powered on your boats?  Do they have dedicated batteries also or are they operating off the engine or house batteries? 

Mine is not powered from a dedicated battery.  I'll check if the circuit comes from the house battery or off one/both of the starting batteries.  Down to the dock I shall go later today.

14 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Why do you need thrusters?

A 310 and even my boat a 290 has a lot of freeboard. The wind just grabs it and tosses the bow over. I wish I had one!!

In charging that battery, it all depended on what you want or what you are trying to do. MPM is going it his way! You could add a battery combiner and charge it off the engines too. But I bet in his case, he starts the genset which will power the charger to re-charge the thuster battery and his house bank too. 

55 minutes ago, Hatem said:

.BTW, I've been dying to ask you this for a while: what's up with the giant penguin?  Did you carve that yourself? 

Picture taken in New Zealand, it is an extinct penguin. Big fellow isn't it. I am 6'2", so that gives you an idea of how big they were.

17 minutes ago, Iggy said:

A 310 and even my boat a 290 has a lot of freeboard. The wind just grabs it and tosses the bow over. I wish I had one!!

In charging that battery, it all depended on what you want or what you are trying to do. MPM is going it his way! You could add a battery combiner and charge it off the engines too. But I bet in his case, he starts the genset which will power the charger to re-charge the thuster battery and his house bank too. 

Gen probable runs 80% of the time, if the boat is just going for a pump out and gas no. This would be when the thruster gets used the most.

52 minutes ago, Hatem said:

What about all you fellas with windlass anchors, how are those powered on your boats?  Do they have dedicated batteries also or are they operating off the engine or house batteries? 

Mine is powered off the house batteries.

22 hours ago, mpm330 said:

Picture taken in New Zealand, it is an extinct penguin. Big fellow isn't it. I am 6'2", so that gives you an idea of how big they were.

Oh yeah, the Waitaha Penguin, absolutely.  That was just discovered about 12 years ago or so.  Very cool.  I'm a bird guy so I have a certain interest in these things.  I thought you sculpted the big fella.

22 hours ago, mpm330 said:

Mine is powered off the house batteries.

See, that's what I'm getting at.  If your windlass is powered off the house batteries and an average sized windlass draws about 300 amps, and bow thrusters are also around 300 (maybe 400 amps for the ones with bigger motors for bigger boats), why does one need a dedicated battery AND charger while the other one gets off scott free, pinching free power off the house batteries?  As a matter of fact, a windlass needs longer, constant/continuous draw as it's being used in longer stretches than a bow thruster.  In the end it probably draws more amperage.  Not to mention an anchor that gets caught really good and now you're really working the windlass motor.  I just saw that the other day.  Some guy was tied up at a mooring and didn't feel his big boat was safe enough just tied to the mooring so he deployed his windlass as well.  Wasn't a very smart idea as the anchor got caught in the mooring's concrete piling and wrapped itself around the mooring ball line.  He was up and down and up and down straining it big time (which I'm sure was using up power like crazy) while his father tried untangling the line as well but 10 minutes of that crap and he finally got it up.  Now that was a ton more work than any little bow thruster squirts I've seen.  Need to get to the bottom of this!

22 hours ago, Curt said:

Mine is not powered from a dedicated battery.  I'll check if the circuit comes from the house battery or off one/both of the starting batteries.  Down to the dock I shall go later today.

Need results of this inspection, Curtzation!  So which one was it?

I windless, all thing bring equal in boat size. Takes a lot less power than a thuster. 

Now when you get into the bigger boats. Forty plus, they may have there windless battery in the bow. I am taking D size which is 3 times that of a group 24.