Sign in to follow this  
Dozer

Pronautic 1240P Battery charger Failure

Hatem, our windlass is powered from the house batteries and has a dedicated breaker.

16 hours ago, Curt said:

Hatem, our windlass is powered from the house batteries and has a dedicated breaker.

Thanks, Curt.  I'm looking at a BT that draws the same amount of power as the windlass I already bought that's just waiting to be installed.  Hopefully I can power both off the house also and forget about the headaches of adding an additional battery and the weight that comes with it.

Mine is powered by what looks like a 90 Amp breaker, while the feeds appear to be 8 or 6 gauge.  If you'd like me to verify, I can with a bit more effort.  At any rate, the point.  They feed a pair of posts in the bow hatch, and the windlass is connected via these posts (albeit with much lighter gauge wire).  I've not researched a bow thruster and don't know its power draw, but you have.  Spitballing a bit here, but a pair of posts and a sub-breaker so only one of the windlass or bow thruster receives power at a time might be a possibility (think of this as a remote distribution block, with protection so only one of the appliances is powered at a time).  Granted it's best to pull a separate feed for a bunch of reasons, but if done properly, you'll save complexity by not needing another battery and charger, weight and a few bucks.  The house battery will continue to charge via the alternator when the motor is running, and shorepower when not (your new Pronautic).  Another consideration, alternator output.  Typically, marine alternators are larger than their automotive counterparts on the same base engine, but this historical "rule' is converging since there's vastly more electronic stuff on vehicles nowadays.  At any rate, you'll just want to verify that output is sufficient to charge the house battery (timely) given the additional draw.  Food for thought.   

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Mine is powered by what looks like a 90 Amp breaker, while the feeds appear to be 8 or 6 gauge.  If you'd like me to verify, I can with a bit more effort.

No, thanks, bud.  You've done enough already and besides, all the windlass wiring is already custom-made based on my setup so I just have to plug and play, for now anyway unless things change as I try to find a viable way around this battery situation, but it doesn't look like it so far.  The breaker that came with the windlass is a Hi 80 amp slow blow breaker. 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I've not researched a bow thruster and don't know its power draw, but you have. Spitballing a bit here, but a pair of posts and a sub-breaker so only one of the windlass or bow thruster receives power at a time might be a possibility (think of this as a remote distribution block, with protection so only one of the appliances is powered at a time).  Granted it's best to pull a separate feed for a bunch of reasons, but if done properly, you'll save complexity by not needing another battery and charger, weight and a few bucks.  Granted it's best to pull a separate feed for a bunch of reasons, but if done properly, you'll save complexity by not needing another battery and charger, weight and a few bucks.  The house battery will continue to charge via the alternator when the motor is running, and shorepower when not (your new Pronautic). 

Yes, these are the kind of ideas & possible alternative solutions I'm looking for.  I like it. 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Another consideration, alternator output.  Typically, marine alternators are larger than their automotive counterparts on the same base engine, but this historical "rule' is converging since there's vastly more electronic stuff on vehicles nowadays.  At any rate, you'll just want to verify that output is sufficient to charge the house battery (timely) given the additional draw.  Food for thought.   

Even if they end up being huge cables, I don't think their combined weight would equal the 100lb or so of a battery.  I think in the end, all things being equal as far as the adequate power coming off the group 31 dual purpose house batteries that are being recharged by the alternator while on the way (and I already have shorepower hooked up to those batteries anyway, I just need to convert the plug to marine rated) and all batteries have their own charger, hooking up the BT to all of that with thicker gauge and longer cables is not only less of a headache than having a dedicated battery AND dedicated charger, but I think it will end up also being less weight.  Given the tight space so less bulk is better, I'm also very concerned about adding additional weight that could be avoidable.  It's definitely a better way to go, don't you think?  Plus you don't have to worry about plugging in shorepower just to charge the BT battery.

Yeah, the added weight and bulk are relevant. Agree for sure.

If I recall correctly, for 8 gauge to equal 100 pounds, length is something like 1,000 feet. At any rate, far greater than what you’re dealing with.

Oddly, I’ve always thought about adding a couple hundred pounds to the bow. Was talking to a buddy last night about it. Seems to me, at least with the boats we’ve had, they run better with more weight in the bow.