31 Signature 2014 performance numbers

Hello, I am a new owner of a gently used 2014 signature. I am writing this post to provide accurate technical information regarding speed and performance.

This is my fifth boat, that I own on the south shore of Long Island. The boat had 117 hours on the engines and five hours on the generator at time of purchase. The boat is powered by twin 5.0 MPI spinning Bravo Three's.

I went on a 120 mile cruise last weekend. The following are my observations.

I had a full tank of fuel and water when leaving the dock. I was carrying two passengers, approximately 300 pounds of food, drink, and sporting equipment. It was 86 degrees with a humidity of 82 percent.

I cruised at 30MPH, which was consuming 22 GPH (total both engines) at 3300 RPM.

I ran the generator for a total of 12 hours due to a local power failure.

On the way home I was heading directly into a very strong west wind blowing at 18 with gust to 31. The seas were a choppy, ugly 3 feet. I cruised at 28 MPH (20 GPH), with the engines slightly up and tabs slightly lowered. The boat handled fine, it was a much softer ride compared to my twin outboard powered 25 Wellcraft.

When I wasn't plugged in to shore power, I had both refrigerators running off the house battery for twelve hours at which point the house battery dropped to 12 volts indicated on the analog meter. At this point I would run the generator for about 30 minutes, which recharged the house battery back to 14 volts.

My top speed as indicated on the GPS is 45.2MPH with about 75 gallons of fuel and four good sized guys onboard. I am very pleased with the speed and handling of the boat!

When we are on the hook, I carry ten extra gallons of water onboard.  I have found I get about three days on the onboard water supply.

My boat came with Garmin GPS and radar. I really, really like the Garmin digital radar. The radar is much improved to the 2008 Furuno radar that I am familiar with.

The mercruiser DTS is very smooth. It took me a few weeks to get used to the throttle, I was used to the cables on my outboards.

The factory supplies canvas is very well made. it is heavy with the right amount of snaps and zippers. I also have the factory cockpit cover which is also really nicely made.

In summary, I am very pleased with my choice. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2008 Formula 31PC, I am very happy with my choice.

When I am on the hook is when I run the generator to charge the battery before we go to sleep and again mid morning to charge the house battery and make hot water. I am using interstate group 27 batteries. One thing I did notice is that after a month of heavy boating I had to add 16 ounces of water to the house battery.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:28 PM, jeffk said:

Down in South florida, I run the Benny all night.

Nice boat i have a 2013 with vp 5.0

The best top end i ever got 47.

When are you doing block island?

I am thinking about the 4th week in August. We need this nasty weather to blow over, I got caught in another squall over the weekend!

• 2 months later...

Surprised Chaparral has discontinued the Signature line, with the exception of the 270, but that hull is in the older style, not these squarish models which I think are just fantastic.  What a shame, but definitely a sign of either bad marketing (which I don't think was the case) or just couldn't compete with Searay and other, high vloume/lower priced brands or, they just refused to price them at somewhat reasonable numbers.  I realize this new generation is much more into the H2Os and ski & fish and surf models and all that, and that has influenced the brand to concentrate on those more so than cruisers because of demand and maybe their marketing research has convinced them that cruisers in the 35+/- feet are not going to be a trend going into the future or that the used boat market is too strong to compete with?  Maybe QC has caught up to them,  who knows.  I know someone with a gorgeous signature 310 who's next boat will not be a Chaparral, unfortunately. 

Or maybe they didn't make enough changes per each year to attract new boat buyers.  If you look at the way Searay pumps out new models almost every year, they must be doing something right including the new 340 coupe which is just out of this world.

Personally I think the Signature 310 -- but especially the 330 -- are the some of the most elegantly and beautifully designed boats in the 30+ foot class along with Cruisers.  It's really a dam shame.

Look at the beautiful lines on this boat, and it's particularly sweet in red! @tomnjo :)

chaparral-boats-chaparral-signature-310-

Or maybe they didn't make enough changes per each year to attract new boat buyers.  If you look at the way Searay pumps out new models almost every year, they must be doing something right

SR tried to sell the company, dumped all their large sport yachts and L-series, means they did a lot wrong. Not right.

They were losing money hand over fist. They finally woke up, smelled the cannabis laden coffee, and trimmed back the fat

in order to survive. 

Brunswick Corporation almost burred Harley Davidson too until the employees took back control of the company.  Boston Whaler is next.  Only good mews was Bayliners were junk going in. And Maxim? Another example, like Chrysler buying Mercedes Benz. Benz will never be the same.   W

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Rip5 said:

SR tried to sell the company, dumped all their large sport yachts and L-series, means they did a lot wrong. Not right.

They were losing money hand over fist. They finally woke up, smelled the cannabis laden coffee, and trimmed back the fat

in order to survive. 

I know they shut down one of their yacht factories and I think the L-series is secondary to Azimut Flybridges but are you sure they dumped that line?  I just went on their website and they're listing every single L-class yacht from the 550 all the way to the 650 included the flybridges of each model.  Here, check for yourself. http://www.searay.com/page.aspx/pageid/162570/Build-My-Sea-Ray.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand General-e&utm_term=sea ray boats&utm_content=Boat General

And while you're at it, Ripster, take a look at all the available models not only the 25+/- range, but also the 35+/- and 40+ LooooLooloL! There's no comparison.

Either way, I was mostly referring to the 35+/- line of cabin cruisers since we were talking about the Signature 310 & 330.  There are no issues there as far as I'm aware of and Chaparral is now out of the game completely after getting rid of the 310 and 330 let alone any available boats in the 40+ which is sad, especially in this economy.  How does that happen?  That's what I was really referring to.  So despite what SR might be going through, there's no comparison to the ratio of volume and success between the two brands, not only better nationally, but MUCH better international success. 

It's tough to find any information on top sales for boat manufacturers out there specifically in the 35+/- cabin cruisers since they lump manufacturers together with overall sales.  And we know Chaparral isn't going to touch a few of the big dogs out there in that respect.  But I found this which is the top 10 boat manufacturers being searched for on BoatTrader.com in 2010.  Granted this is most likely reflective of the used market, but searching for a used boat in a specific brand is most certainly reflective of the quality and popularity of the brand itself, wouldn't you agree?

Here's the list and honestly, I was super surprised to see Chaparral at 8 but of course, look who's at #1.

1.    Sea Ray

2.    Bayliner

3.    Mastercraft

4.    Baja

5.    Boston Whaler

6.    Ranger

7.    Malibu

8.    Chaparral

9.    Wellcraft

10.  Grady-White

https://blog.boattrader.com/2010/08/top-ten-boat-manufacturers.html

How about best runabout for 2018 by Boating Magazine?  Heck not only isn't Chaparral in that mix but neither is SR and that is a problem for both of them since this seems to be THE market to tap into for these boat builders and SR offers several outboard and jet models that you would think would've made the list, even Chaparral.  But to get beat by something like the the Juneau New Concept 75 which looks brilliant, is frankly sad.  And guess what, even with SR not mentioned, I bet most people will still flock in that direction before they do towards an Chaparral models.

https://www.boatingmag.com/best-runabout-boats-2017#page-6

Speaking of new concept, where's Chaparral with any new concept designed?  They lived off of their crossover bowrider success in the 327SSX but have since tanked it unfortunately.  Watch the new 347ssx last a couple of years and that'll be out the door as well with $300K tag plus.  It's almost obvious what they're doing wrong.

There is hope, though.  The Chaparral 223 Vortek VR is in the lists of "Best Boats for your Money" by BoatUS guide, but they only throw it in there after stroking the Larson 225S LX lol.  They only make it comparable in the under $50K range.

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2016/october/the-best-boats-for-your-money.asp

With all the effort Chaparral has put into the wake-boarding and wake-surfing boats market etc.  Look at this list of the competition mentioned and Chaparral is nowhere to be found.

https://www.boats.com/boat-buyers-guide/10-best-tow-boats-for-water-skiing-and-wakeboarding/

They're obviously not doing something right and let's see if there is any success with the new Chaparral/Robalo hybrid.  Something tells me that's going to tank just the same although if it does succeed, it might be because of the Robalo name and not necessarily Chaparral.

Granted this is most likely reflective of the used market, but searching for a used boat in a specific brand is most certainly reflective of the quality and popularity of the brand itself, wouldn't you agree?

Irrelevant today. Those are 8 year old numbers. Don't confuse populartiy with sheer volume. Simple supply and demand. 

I am disappointed that the 330 isn't around going forward.  However, since our next boat will also be a used boat, I am counting on finding a nice used 2015 or so in another year or two.  I do like the Sea Ray 350 Coupe though.  And may wait until prices for used ones start to drop.  The local Sea Ray dealer has had a 400 Sun Dancer on the showroom floor for several years now.  And they have a 350 Coupe that's been there a year already.  Buying new just isn't in the cards financially, but the 350 Coupe has been tempting. 

Though the economy seems to be doing a bit better, I think some discretionary spending has been trimmed back.  I think I saw that Americans are actually saving a bit more.  And, from the last turn down, there are a lot of consumable hard goods that folks are focusing on (refrigerators, cars, etc.).  And housing seems to be booming, in at least our area.  So I think folks are focusing any spending in those areas.  I can say that it appears to be a sellers market for well maintained clean used boats in the 25'-35' in our area. But that is probably always been the case.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:42 AM, Hatem said:

I know they shut down one of their yacht factories and I think the L-series is secondary to Azimut Flybridges but are you sure they dumped that line?  I just went on their website and they're listing every single L-class yacht from the 550 all the way to the 650 included the flybridges of each model.  Here, check for yourself.

The line is dumped, and will phase out yet this year. But not gone just quite yet.

As part of the transformation of Sea Ray, Brunswick will discontinue sport yacht and yacht models and begin an orderly wind down of yacht production.

Sea Ray will begin to wind down sport yacht and yacht production in the third quarter at its Sykes Creek and Palm Coast, Fla., facilities, involving the elimination of as many as 825 positions.

Palm Coast is targeted for closure as soon as practical in 2018, while a portion of Sykes Creek will continue to operate for the foreseeable future to support customer service and warranty obligations, along with other operational requirements.

Link:

https://boatingindustry.com/news/2018/06/25/brunswick-to-retain-reinvent-sea-ray-brand/

On 8/8/2018 at 10:06 PM, cpg said:

When I am on the hook is when I run the generator to charge the battery before we go to sleep and again mid morning to charge the house battery and make hot water. I am using interstate group 27 batteries. One thing I did notice is that after a month of heavy boating I had to add 16 ounces of water to the house battery.

Back to the OP info...Anybody else alarmed that he had to add 16 ounces of water to the house battery?  Mine is 3 years old and haven't added any.

Too many saying …….The economy is super great with Trumpet running it.

Problem is the money is being given to  the top 1 % now. Not many of the imported workers at the big corporations are getting much. 

So the...... Gotta have a new biggie boat guys...….. are gone.  I have at least 12 friends that have sold off their 50 foot plus cruisers. Including me.

Once the water level drops below the lead plate tops ?  The battery becomes undersized in reality. It then gets easily overheated more & more...……. Or he was sold a bad 1 to begin with. Happens.

I recently jumped to the Dark side with a Sea Ray 310 Sundancer 2014. I had 2 Chaparral (Sig 270 and Sig 290) and they were awesome boats. For now Sea Ray will focus on boat up to 40 ft, I think it is a smart move, they tried for years to go up to 65 ft, just as Regal is doing right now, and Brunswick people saw they were losing money with boats between 40 and 65 ft. There is nothing wrong IMO when a company is trying to grow and go bigger. There is nothing wrong either to be honest when you see that you are losing money to shutdown a department that is losing it and focus in the segment where you make profits.

As far as I can tell, my Sea Ray is well built, a guy at the marina have the Quiet Ride technology on his boat and it is a really cool feature too. I am still thinking Chap and Sea Ray have a pretty similar quality… On the SR forum, people thinks Chaparral are amazing boats too.

About OP thread, with twin 350 mag (300 hp), the SR 310 max speed is 49-50 mph with more Deadrise, the boat is heavier too. I don't have enough experience to give you the numbers about consumption. I do know that the Sig 310 have a bigger fresh water tank but a smaller gas tank. All in all it should be pretty similar.

Just a comparison between 2 boats in the same range.

31 minutes ago, Exoset said:

As far as I can tell, my Sea Ray is well built, a guy at the marina have the Quiet Ride technology on his boat and it is a really cool feature too.

Speaking of quiet ride technology, check this out.  Relatively new video from BoatTest.Com about Hatteras boats and their building quality and why they claim you get more from this super expensive brand and why.  The whole video outlines the unique building techniques and in-house testing of the props and other components but take a look especially @ minute 4:00 to 4:05.  Look at how stable that swim platform is with Steve out on it testing the vibration directly above the props lol.  It's amazing how still that boat's platform is while cruising at that speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ZH8AM61uQ&t=255s