2018 chevy traverse

Does anyone tow  a 196 ssi or equivalent with a newer Traverse, I am looking at one but thinking it might struggle, even though it has a 5000 lb tow capacity. I really only tow twice a season. Thanks 

The Dodge Durango V6 is rated at 6200, if you're interested.  We've been very pleased with ours (though we don't tow with it much).

A 3 row 'SUV' (technically a crossover) that gets 24+ mpg highway (non-towing).

Sorry, can't speak directly to the Traverse.

3100 lb boat, 1000 lb (probably less) trailer  500 lbs gas and gear.

i would try it.  hopefully you don't tow that far.  not gonna win any races

If the traverse still has the same V6 / transmission package the Buick Enclave does, then forget it.  The Enclave can barely pull itself uphill.  

It is woefully underpowered for weight.  I would not recommend the enclave or similar (Lambda) platform for anything other than an uninspiring way to get from point A to B.  

I am seeing differing values on towing capacity.  One source says 1500lbs conventional, the other says 

https://www.chevrolet.com/previous-year/traverse-mid-size-suv/build-and-price/features/capabilities/?section=Powertrain&section=Trailering %26 Payload&styleOne=390955&engineOne=LFY&bodyTypeOne=1&driveTypeOne=FWD

Max Conventional Trailering (lbs.) 
1,500 lbs

https://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Resources/02_pdf/2018-chevrolet-trailering-and-towing-guide.pdf

5,000 lbs

NOTES ON TRAVERSE Trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the trailer weight your vehicle can tow. See your Chevrolet dealer for additional details. Trailer tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total loaded trailer weight (up to 500 lbs.). Addition of trailer tongue weight must not cause vehicle weights to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Maximum trailer weight rating requires the factoryinstalled Trailering Package.

When using a weight-carrying hitch, the maximum trailer weight is 5,000 lbs. with a 500-lb. trailer tongue weight. A weight-distributing hitch and sway control are required for trailer weights greater than 5,000 lbs.

ON the build and price configurator,  you need to order the "trailering equipment" option, which forces you to choose "heavy duty cooling".  there is probably a package, like "High Country" that  includes both and more.   if you click the "i" for info on the trailering equipment option, you will see 5000 lbs towing capacity . you can go to traverseforum.com and read comments from other traverse owners about towing

1 hour ago, rreale said:

ON the build and price configurator,  you need to order the "trailering equipment" option, which forces you to choose "heavy duty cooling".  there is probably a package, like "High Country" that  includes both and more.   if you click the "i" for info on the trailering equipment option, you will see 5000 lbs towing capacity . you can go to traverseforum.com and read comments from other traverse owners about towing

1,500 to 5,000 is a big jump!  If the OP gets the equipment to rate it at 5,000 lbs and his route is basically flat,  I would give it a shot.  For only a couple times a year why get something bigger that he may not need.  

Think it was the June 2008 edition of trailerboats magazine that tow tested the Acadia pulling a Chap 196 (or similar chap).  My recollection was that they praised it.  The 08 wound have had a bit lower torque and hp than the newest iteration of the 3.6.  I hate that I have to always own a body on frame suv to tow the 220 two miles each year versus owing an acadia which gets far better mileage and a more comfy ride.   

Check the payload capacity on the door jam sticker.  Then subtract the weight of all passengers, driver and stuff in the vehicle. That’s what you have left for tongue weight. Single axle boat trailer is probably 400-500lbs. If your total weight exceeds GVWR, then you will have issues. 

My advice, get something else to tow with.