Ztrem

Depth Indicator Too Sensitive

I rarely use my in dash depth indicator any more because it seems overly sensitive.  In any kind of turbulent water it cant read the depth and the alarm goes off.  In calm water, no problem.  I am wondering if there is some kind of an adjustment that can be made to make it less sensitive to the turbulent water?  

Thanks,

Kevin

I have the same problem with mine, especially running on plane.  I have to come off plane to reset it.  I have thought of lowering the transducer to see if this helps, but haven't yet.

Ztrem, are you using the factory through hull transducer? If so, it could be going bad. Mine sat right on a trailer bunk and years of the bunk rubbing on it eventually made it inoperable. Had to install a transom mount. It definitely reads better in smoother water. On plane  it flashes the depth. At slower speeds and idle it is a consistent reading.

It is in the wrong place in the hull bottom  Or the outside on the transom.  Part time help on who installed them is the cause of that problem.

any air bubbles passing under any transducer will act like these units. Remove transducer & locate it CAREFULLY as close to the center line and as close to the transom as possible. It also NEEDS to be set deep enough below the bottom to always be in SOLID water. Avoid mounting it too close to the VERTICLE space formed by any of those bottom steps. Those steps DO trap air & create bubbles. All the way to the transom.

Works every time.

This is a common issue, and adjustment other than depth and to alarm or not isn't possible.  In order for the transducer to function properly, the face must be clean and the unit installed where still water will be present under most operating conditions.  Any entrained air or other flow disturbance will lead to flashing and/or audible alarm.  Please check to ensure the face is free of algae, bottom "growth", etc.  It's unlikely Chaparral installed in the wrong place.  The location is specified, and manufacturing doesn't deviate because they want to nor locate it randomly from boat to boat within a model.  The requirement for still water is well understood by the transducer manufacturer and Chaparral (and other boat builders).  The location is selected within this in mind.  That being said, usage can and does vary by user, water conditions, etc.  You always have the option to install (a new transducer) in a location you feel will provide better performance or accept the shortcomings. 

Where is the transducer located and what does it look like?  I also have a Garmin GPS and a Fish finder.  They both show depth, I just have to stand up to see it.  It's nice to have the dash mount.

Not sure on your boat, but often near the bilge and slightly forward of the engine (toward the bow), left or right of the keel.  Typically a black or white cylinder, about 2 to 3 inch diameter, 3 to 4 high, usually with a "mushroom top", always with a wire.  You might have two given the Garmin, fish finder and gauge package.  Most extend through the hull, some don't.   

(P.S. Regarding the picture below, I doubt yours will look identical.  Similar, yes.  Identical, no.  Likely no visible threads.  If the Garmin and fish finder are not original to the boat, you might also have a transom mounted transducer.  These typically look like a large thumb drive and are mounted externally.)

ST800/P120 Low Profile Thru-Hull Retractable Transducer

I have my Garmin transducer .........LAYING LOOSLY........... on the floor of my 16' ALUMINUM fish boat. Works perfectly sitting there not attached to anything. I toss about 1 quart of water at it. That creates a solid water seal to the hull. To send & receive signals at all speeds.

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

LAYING LOOSLY........... on the floor of my 16' ALUMINUM fish boat.

Sure you do.  If vertical sure, but it won't on it's side.  Transducer's are directional. 

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Works perfectly sitting there not attached to anything.

It works perfectly because you forgot the wire. 

Thanks for the comments.  Maybe it just needs a good cleaning?  Fortunately I have other instruments that read depth, they are just not as convenient.

Most don't work well while running, it's a down censing unit not forward. The depth its reading at 30mph is about 44 feet behind the boat, so you will run aground if your watching it for depth underway. I mainly us it for anchoring.

curt

You want to start a peeing contest ? Have the last word when you do not know what I have in my boats ?    I can mouth off about everything you say. Right or wrong.

Make another dumb remark about me &  we bash each other until Chaparral warns us. Or bans us. Your call.

All my boats have good  Garmins. The 16' has 2 . 1 down & 1 for side scanning