Ofcalipka

Where can I find a Replacement Bimini

Aloha,

I picked up a 1991 Chaparral 234 Striker I/O a little over a year ago and have been having a blast with it here in Hawaii.  However the bimini needs replacing and I can't find anyone who sells a replacement.  I'd like to replace it with an original type with new front and side windows and perhaps the back curtain.  Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a replacement top?  The quote I got from a local sail maker here was $4500.00 for only the top and front window, and that is just way too much.

The attached photo shows the top I'm looking for on another boat.  (Found the photo on the internet)

chaparall-striker-234-22035.jpg

22 hours ago, Ofcalipka said:

Aloha,

I picked up a 1991 Chaparral 234 Striker I/O a little over a year ago and have been having a blast with it here in Hawaii.  However the bimini needs replacing and I can't find anyone who sells a replacement.  I'd like to replace it with an original type with new front and side windows and perhaps the back curtain.  Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a replacement top?  The quote I got from a local sail maker here was $4500.00 for only the top and front window, and that is just way too much.

The attached photo shows the top I'm looking for on another boat.  (Found the photo on the internet)

chaparall-striker-234-22035.jpg

You will not find an original equipment any more. Your problem is that you are a captive audience. the sail maker knows that he has no competition, so he can charge what he wants, with the attitude, take it or leave it. And as you know Hawaii is expensive, because everything is shipped in. So his cost for the materials will cost him more. You might check the net and see if there is a company that is able to copy the original specks here in the states. I help out a guy that has a boat canvas shop, I will check with him as to what he thinks your options might be.  Denny. 

Talked with my canvas guy, he said with the top and front windshield, it would be around 2200 deer. And that it would have to be fitted to the boat. So you are stuck with him, or go shopping for another shop, sorry, let us know how you make out.  Denny.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, Ofcalipka said:

I picked up a 1991 Chaparral 234 Striker I/O a little over a year ago and have been having a blast with it here in Hawaii.

Aloha.  Love that boat!  Did you add the trolling motor to the transom like that or did you get it that way?  Looks like another Chaparral past your boat there, too.  Maybe an older 210 ssi or something? 

I agree with your assessment, that is a lot of money for just the top and front windows.  But things are expensive on the islands for sure.  The only way for you to get a better cost is to find someone whom you can send your original one to so they can duplicate it.  You won't find any place with the original canvas and windows in new stock, I'm afraid. 

32 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Aloha.  Love that boat!  Did you add the trolling motor to the transom like that or did you get it that way?  Looks like another Chaparral past your boat there, too.  Maybe an older 210 ssi or something? 

I agree with your assessment, that is a lot of money for just the top and front windows.  But things are expensive on the islands for sure.  The only way for you to get a better cost is to find someone whom you can send your original one to so they can duplicate it.  You won't find any place with the original canvas and windows in new stock, I'm afraid. 

The only way for you to get a better cost is to find someone whom you can send your original one to so they can duplicate it. 

The problem with that is, all the shrinkage, and you still have wait till you get it back to put in the snaps.

You are in a bite the bullet situation. The guy that I work for has been doing it for 40 yrs, and said that he would not do it that way.   Denny.

31 minutes ago, Denny said:

The problem with that is, all the shrinkage, and you still have wait till you get it back to put in the snaps.

You are in a bite the bullet situation. The guy that I work for has been doing it for 40 yrs, and said that he would not do it that way.   Denny.

If he says it's better to fit it right to the boat, what's the difference if the original canvas is also already fitted to the boat?  I'm not sure I understand how he would control the eventual shrinkage by having access to the boat vs access to the canvas that already fits perfectly?  Not giving you a hard time just trying to understand what the difference is, especially for a fella who is all the way in Hawaii and is limited to getting fleeced by the only canvas place he can get to. 

14 hours ago, Hatem said:

If he says it's better to fit it right to the boat, what's the difference if the original canvas is also already fitted to the boat?  I'm not sure I understand how he would control the eventual shrinkage by having access to the boat vs access to the canvas that already fits perfectly?  Not giving you a hard time just trying to understand what the difference is, especially for a fella who is all the way in Hawaii and is limited to getting fleeced by the only canvas place he can get to. 

Believe me when I say that his present canvas and plastic windows no longer fit as they did when new..They are all twisted and stretched out of shape. I can guarantee you that if you took it all down and put it back up by zipping all the zippers first, you would be hard pressed to snap the snaps. On the old stuff you have to just start the zippers, then snap the snaps, after you do that, then you zip all the zippers closed. There is a reason why he is replacing it, so if you copy it, guess what you get. Brand new, with the same issues. I have helped work on these boats. Some times we will take off the old canvas to fit the new, then put it back on to protect the boat while he takes the new back to the shop. And a lot of times we can't get all the snaps to snap and the zippers to zip.  

I'm sorry that he lives in paradise with a price tag to match, but there is only one way to do this and make it look right.  Denny.

7 hours ago, Denny said:

Believe me when I say that his present canvas and plastic windows no longer fit as they did when new..They are all twisted and stretched out of shape. I can guarantee you that if you took it all down and put it back up by zipping all the zippers first, you would be hard pressed to snap the snaps. On the old stuff you have to just start the zippers, then snap the snaps, after you do that, then you zip all the zippers closed. There is a reason why he is replacing it, so if you copy it, guess what you get. Brand new, with the same issues. I have helped work on these boats. Some times we will take off the old canvas to fit the new, then put it back on to protect the boat while he takes the new back to the shop. And a lot of times we can't get all the snaps to snap and the zippers to zip.  

I'm sorry that he lives in paradise with a price tag to match, but there is only one way to do this and make it look right.  Denny.

Ah, I get it now.  Excellent explanation, Denny.  Makes a lot of sense.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Ah, I get it now.  Excellent explanation, Denny.  Makes a lot of sense.  Thanks.

Yeah, enclosures are different from cock pit covers. My 33yr old cock pit cover has not been altered, but my 25yr old enclosure  has been altered 3 times because some of the snaps were getting to hard for this old mans hands to snap.  Denny.

15 minutes ago, Denny said:

Yeah, enclosures are different from cock pit covers. My 33yr old cock pit cover has not been altered, but my 25yr old enclosure  has been altered 3 times because some of the snaps were getting to hard for this old mans hands to snap.  Denny.

I know what you mean about the zippers and snaps sequence, it's tricky for sure.  I have to do exactly what you said with my bimini and windshield.  Get the zippers hooked and just a little started first, then snap all the snaps and then come back and zipper them all the way which is always much harder after snaps are in.  But it's impossible to get to the snaps if you zipper up all the way first.

Speaking of cockpit cover, the last snap on my starboard stern is impossible to snap in.  Just can't do it.  Used to be able to but then it became increasingly difficult until no more.  You can actually hurt yourself trying too hard.  I've replaced it but it's still no good.  I need to get it fixed for sure for our trip to Florida.  I might need to come up with some other additional method of securing the covers for that long haul.  It worked out fine for our Maryland trip, but FLA is a bit longer than double the distance from Boston to Ocean City MD.  Maybe some bungee or soft rope and wrap it over the covers and all around the entire hull.

16 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I know what you mean about the zippers and snaps sequence, it's tricky for sure.  I have to do exactly what you said with my bimini and windshield.  Get the zippers hooked and just a little started first, then snap all the snaps and then come back and zipper them all the way which is always much harder after snaps are in.  But it's impossible to get to the snaps if you zipper up all the way first.

Speaking of cockpit cover, the last snap on my starboard stern is impossible to snap in.  Just can't do it.  Used to be able to but then it became increasingly difficult until no more.  You can actually hurt yourself trying too hard.  I've replaced it but it's still no good.  I need to get it fixed for sure for our trip to Florida.  I might need to come up with some other additional method of securing the covers for that long haul.  It worked out fine for our Maryland trip, but FLA is a bit longer than double the distance from Boston to Ocean City MD.  Maybe some bungee or soft rope and wrap it over the covers and all around the entire hull.

Some times you have to move a snap. I bought a tool that helps me snap the tough one's, I will get a photo of it and post it.  Denny.

7 hours ago, Hatem said:

Here is the snap tool that i was talking about.

IMG_8764.jpg

IMG_8756.jpg

14 minutes ago, Denny said:

Here is the snap tool that i was talking about.

Cool.  That actually helps you pull the snap that is on the cover?  Looks like you can only push with that.  I figured the slot would be better on the side so you can hook the snap and pull it?  Unless I'm not understanding how that works.  Thanks for posting that. 

16 hours ago, Hatem said:

Cool.  That actually helps you pull the snap that is on the cover?  Looks like you can only push with that.  I figured the slot would be better on the side so you can hook the snap and pull it?  Unless I'm not understanding how that works.  Thanks for posting that. 

Ah, yes, the short side for the outside of the snap now I see that.  Couldn't see it before on my phone but that looks easy and works great.  Thanks, Denny.

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Ah, yes, the short side for the outside of the snap now I see that.  Couldn't see it before on my phone but that looks easy and works great.  Thanks, Denny.

Yeah, adding it to my windlass and electric trailer winch, it is now my 3rd thing to add ease and extend my boating experience.

If you type the name on your web search, there are a lot of places that sell it. I got mine some 20yrs. ago at the Detroit Boat Show. That was when they had vendors there that sold little useful gadgets like that.