Best Dock Upgrade Ideas

9 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Remember. your opinion on life is not the only one. others may enjoy the lake differently. You obviously don't agree with mine but I have the right to voice mine.

Of course you do, it's just boringly gloomy.  Look at what you said:

On 8/15/2018 at 10:29 PM, Phillbo said:

Never understood why people would own a boat that does not go up lake.

Seriously?  So all these people that like to decorate their slips like the OP (and many others) own boats just have them there all the time and never go up lake?  What about TP's killer setup; it doesn't get much better than that, is that someone who's only hanging out on the slip at all times?  You couldn't even understand why zillions of boat owners like to have underwater lights.  Your outlook on many others' preferences is simply gloom and doom, just like Thulsa Dooooooom.  Just calling you out, booboo.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Of course you do, it's just boringly gloomy.  Look at what you said:

Seriously?  So all these people that like to decorate their slips like the OP (and many others) own boats just have them there all the time and never go up lake?  What about TP's killer setup; it doesn't get much better than that, is that someone who's only hanging out on the slip at all times?  You couldn't even understand why zillions of boat owners like to have underwater lights.  Your outlook on many others' preferences is simply gloom and doom, just like Thulsa Dooooooom.  Just calling you out, booboo.

I actually agree with @Phillbo.  I couldn't understand why people deck out (pardon the pun) their slips, park the boat, then never take it out.  I've learned over the years, that many simply don't have the $$ for all the maintenance required for these larger, older, "affordable" boats.  They buy a large one that the Admiral is comfortable in, but can't stand the fuel bill nor the maintenance required.  It's their (much more affordable) lake house.  I get it now.  Not my cup of tea, but I do understand.

For me, I like the improved slip for when we arrive to the lake and when we depart.  Kids play video games while I prep the boat, then when we get back, they play while we gather things up.  Not to mention I have no problem getting my kid to go with me on "maintenance days".  Before, it was a struggle, and then "when are we leaving" every 15 minutes.  Made for an awful time when I needed to get stuff done.

Also, during the summer, it's really nice to have shore power for air conditioning when staying overnight.  Sure, I could run the generator, but it's noisy and I don't like running it all night.  So, I think Phillbo is absolutely entitled to his opinion (one which I share to a large degree), but I think I have the best of both worlds here.

18 hours ago, Iggy said:

Look into yacht clubs. I am not telling you what I pay, but its about a quarter of what the marina next door to us wants.

There aren’t many yacht clubs here on Lake St Clair. The Grosse Pointe Yacht Club is truly a wealthy man’s yacht club with a $7,500 initiation fee and then annual dues of $7,500. And those only earn you the ability to rent a slip, that’s not even including the slip!

We also have the Detroit Yacht Club which is too far of a drive and likely similar in pricing. 

I’m currently at one of the cheapets marinas in this area. The marina next door has upgraded all of its slips very similar to what I did. However, they’re at least $600/year more. The extras it provides are the nicer docks, including a dock box, a laundry facility, a gated marina with security guard (which is a freaking joke as I used to drink with my buddies while the night shift guard drove us around in the back of his pickup on marina property), and cable TV at all slips. I spent about $450 to upgrade my dock and it’ll be good for a few years vs paying $600+/year for the next marina. 

11 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I actually agree with @Phillbo.  I couldn't understand why people deck out (pardon the pun) their slips, park the boat, then never take it out.  I've learned over the years, that many simply don't have the $$ for all the maintenance required for these larger, older, "affordable" boats.  They buy a large one that the Admiral is comfortable in, but can't stand the fuel bill nor the maintenance required.  It's their (much more affordable) lake house.  I get it now.  Not my cup of tea, but I do understand.

For me, I like the improved slip for when we arrive to the lake and when we depart.  Kids play video games while I prep the boat, then when we get back, they play while we gather things up.  Not to mention I have no problem getting my kid to go with me on "maintenance days".  Before, it was a struggle, and then "when are we leaving" every 15 minutes.  Made for an awful time when I needed to get stuff done.

Also, during the summer, it's really nice to have shore power for air conditioning when staying overnight.  Sure, I could run the generator, but it's noisy and I don't like running it all night.  So, I think Phillbo is absolutely entitled to his opinion (one which I share to a large degree), but I think I have the best of both worlds here.

@Phillbo, @Hatem was just giving you a hard time. Don’t let him hurt your feelings. 

I like the best of both worlds like @TexasPilot71 says. I love going out on the lake, but I also enjoy times at the dock. For instance, when I’m doing maintenance, I’m at the dock and like it to be nice. I also love going out to the sand bars and spending hours in the water. Sometimes I only have an hour or so to kill and it’s nice to just sit at the dock when I don’t have time to go out on the lake. 

21 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Yeah, sorry, but that just has nothing to do with what @rjbergen was referring to in his OP.  All he's talking about is simple upgrades to one's slip, just like yours, not people who live on them lol.  

I am actually a big fan of Thulsa Doom, though.  He is a badass no doubt.  Anyone who can bring doom and gloom like that and have mind control over people while turning himself into a huugeah snake?  Respect. :D

5 hours ago, rjbergen said:

There aren’t many yacht clubs here on Lake St Clair. The Grosse Pointe Yacht Club is truly a wealthy man’s yacht club with a $7,500 initiation fee and then annual dues of $7,500. And those only earn you the ability to rent a slip, that’s not even including the slip!

We also have the Detroit Yacht Club which is too far of a drive and likely similar in pricing. 

I’m currently at one of the cheapets marinas in this area. The marina next door has upgraded all of its slips very similar to what I did. However, they’re at least $600/year more. The extras it provides are the nicer docks, including a dock box, a laundry facility, a gated marina with security guard (which is a freaking joke as I used to drink with my buddies while the night shift guard drove us around in the back of his pickup on marina property), and cable TV at all slips. I spent about $450 to upgrade my dock and it’ll be good for a few years vs paying $600+/year for the next marina. 

WOW!! No my club is $500 per yr. 

23 hours ago, rjbergen said:

Our marina is pretty much the same.  Everything but the security guard and cable TV at the slips.  We have WiFi but no cable TV.  There is a laundry and shower facility and while all that stuff is for us slip renters, it's also for those who come to the historic town of Salem and want to stay a couple of days on a mooring or a slip.  They usually want to visit the House of the Seven Gables which is right next door and go to where the witch trials took place and all that happy stuff.

This is pretty much it.  You walk down that ramp from the parking lot and go left or right to the docks and individual slips.

SiCJyBf.jpg 

As you can see, most people just have dock boxes but they bring out the chairs on the weekends and during the evenings and hang on the dock.  The marina puts name tags on each slip. 

w7MbjR1.jpg

• 2 years later...

I enjoy no repairs or work on the cottage & dock slip. 

I added a soft  inflated  4"  firehose to the dock edges.  4...  2 rope horizontal  floating fenders ,  Boat pole on boat &  1  for dock person.  Plastic covered loop type.. Vertical grab poles on boat & dock. For rough water conditions.  Big corner bumper for the windy days.   Done

I would not trade my fantastic club.  We only allow members that pass a social background  check. Belong to same clubs & donate similar amounts to organizations. Covid is doing a number on our seniors doing larger groups indoors.   So we follow N Y rules.  It reduced the loss of members noticeably.

7 hours ago, markt111 said:

thats awesome!! Where is this club for $500 a year? 

Thats up here just north of Boston. There a dozens of clubs in the Boston area. They range from and this a rough, from $400 to $2000 per year depending on what they offer. Some just slips, some just moorings, some both. A Bar or no Bar, some have food. But remember, clubs are "not for profit", where marinas are.  So there member owned. 

I pay $26 per foot for a slip is just one benefit.