Sign in to follow this  
cigarzfan

Where Can I Install This Fresh Water Pump?

I purchased a Shurflo Electric Faucet/Pump combo to replace our manual sink pump. I purchased after researching pumps for marine environment.

The Instructions say, "Never operate the pump in an explosive environment. Arcing from the switch, motor brushes, or heat from the motor may cause an explosion. The Model 100 Nautilus is ISO 8846 and U/L Marine listed (ignition protected) for non-flammable liquids."

The boat is a 1998 Sunesta 232. The fresh water tank is in the engine compartment. Given the above warning, can I install it in the engine compartment? If no, can I still install it under the sink, which is in the middle of the boat?

No to the engine compartment.  Possibly to under the sink provided the cavity is fire-blocked from the engine compartment. Whether it has enough suction to pull from the fresh water tank is something to look at.   

What kind of jibberish is ignition protected for NON flammable liquids ???   Liquids do not burn. The vapors released by a liquid burns in the presence of the Oxygen in the air.

Call the manufacturer.

I found the iso 8846 standards ...... It states that a device IS  IS safe inpropane & gasoline mixtures between the LOWER FLAMABL LIMITS and The UPPER FLAMABLE LIMITS

It is rated as safe in boats.  ISO 8846 covers motors.

I have been reading UL / listed Marine ................ GOOD GRIEF.......... It is IGNITION PROTECTED. Put it anywhere. It is as safe as a bilge blower motor.

It may be because its a faucet pump for under a sink verses a fresh water pump that mounts in the bilge near the outlet for the tank?

Something here is wrong...........

Every boat I have ever owned had the pump in the engine compartment. Did you buy the right pump?? Just asking........ 

Agree.  All of mine have been installed in the engine compartment.  But, what's different here is the application of a faucet pump to the engine compartment.  Anything installed where gasoline fumes can accumulate must be ignition protected.  To comply with this standard, in this case a pump and its electric motor, all spark producing mechanisms must be sealed and surface temperatures low enough to prevent ignition.  Seems the wrong pump was purchased.  At the same time, if the OP's quote from the manufacturer's literature is correct, the doubletalk can lead to this outcome.

I am reaching . But the NON flammable MIGHT mean the liquids it can pump.........WATER is O K.

Call the company to be sure  O rings & plastic are only for water.

I called manufacturer. He said it should be fine in engine compartment. He did say to make sure the pump is below the water source. To that end, I am going to go ahead and keep it out of the engine compartment and put it under the sink as that would allow lower install location.

1 hour ago, cigarzfan said:

I called manufacturer. He said it should be fine in engine compartment. He did say to make sure the pump is below the water source. To that end, I am going to go ahead and keep it out of the engine compartment and put it under the sink as that would allow lower install location.

Probably more efficient too!  As with others, my OEM pump is in the engine compartment.

3 hours ago, cigarzfan said:

Can I ask how under the sink would be lower than the fresh water tank?  I'm just curious but in a 1998 Sunesta 232, isn't your water tank in the bilge/engine compartment and your sink in the cockpit?  That would put the sink higher than even the top of the water tank,  unless I'm missing something. 

Also in your first post, you said the pump is "UL listed and ignition protected" which means it's perfectly fine in the engine compartment.  "Explosive environment" is much more extenuating and a disclaimer in case you decide to use it somewhere crazy, like inside a fuel tank or something.  

I would think you would want it to sit right on the same platform as your water tank and connect it right to the bottom of it like most of them are.

My water tank and pump are located in the center floor storage area off to the side, under the helm.

That pump CAN NOT SUCK any water.  He is telling you to mount it so the tank positively fills that pump all the time.  It might not work at all under the sink if the pump is higher than a  almost empty tank or a bow up condition. 

12 hours ago, Chap243 said:

My water tank and pump are located in the center floor storage area off to the side, under the helm.

Funny, that's exactly where my crapper tank is lol.  My FW tank sits in the engine compartment on the portside platform above the engine level up against the side of the stern where the inlet is to fill it up.  Then the pump is placed right at the bottom side of the tank and pumps from there.

There might be something to what Cyclopodopadus said about the pump's ability to create suction from a longer distance as opposed to just pushing water that is gravity-fed into it.  Or not.  But I think that's the reason why they mount them there in almost all scenarios that I've seen.

Thank you for comments.

Yes. By "under sink" I did not mean up high fixed to sink. I meant down at the bottom of that section of the boat.

I haven't finalized anything yet. Will probably just put it right next to the fresh water tank so there aren't any issues.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:22 AM, cigarzfan said:

My water pump is on top of the tank, so its pumping up. I would not install it that close to the sink. For one its much easier to work on in the engine compartment. Also, you will have more cycling of the pump. You could put in a accumulator tank. What I have found, the more footage of water lines, less cycling, more constant pressure. 

You could put a inline check valve on the supply side as well so the pump will keep it's "prime" if you have it mounted above your water tank.  I would put it under your sink if you have the room to get in there and install it.  

Those pumps push a lot better than they suck. (true of most pumps)   They will self prime but the shorter the suction line the better. Also, it's better to mount them with the motor pointing up, as the pumps sweat and that moisture always ends up against the motor shaft bearing.  Should have a suction strainer installed also. W

Unless you know the motor has special  bearings for a vertical mounting. Mount it horizontally. Check with the company if vertical mounting is allowed. I have run into horizontal pumps in industries put into a vertical position. Then wearing out the sleeve bearings that had no thrust washers .

From the Shurflo Installation Manual for the 100 Nautilus pump...

http://www.vacpump.com/files/120950923.pdf

MOUNTING
   The pump may be mounted in any position. Always mount the pump level or below the bottom of the water tank.
The pump should be as close as possible to the tank. If there is positive head pressure from the water tank to the pump inlet, the pump will prime.If
mounted above the lowest water level,
the pump may require forced prim-
ing before operation. Never mount
the pump more than 4 inches [10 cm]
above the lowest water level. Secure the
pump with screws through the rubber
grommets (do not over compress). Use
thread-locking compounds on machine
screws if necessary.