summerpenguin

Can this vinyl be cleaned or not?

I did not see a difference with top & bottom coating on the 2   2002 186 boats I have gone thru. Thought it would make a longer water proofing. 

It did STINK up the boat more when I removed the covers . for about 1 month.

My canvas place sold me the 303 by 3 M . works very well.

I also use the 303 with great results.  Back to 2 coats on top only.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and chemical education! I believed I learned a lot!

This pic is just one of the seats, and they all stay in the sun all day long, so I will try to clean them with a few of the suggestions to see which works best for me.

I think I agree with one post that said the finish on my vinyl may be gone. That was along the lines of my original question, whether to try to clean these or not. I guess the answer is, I can clean them, but don't expect them to look like new or stay clean for long since the finish is gone.

I found all of my covers stuffed under the cushions in the cabin, so I'll unfold them and clean those on my wood dock as another project.

Thanks!

Bleach does get rid of it.  It also does kill the mold, but it won't restore the vinyl that the mold/mildew has already destroyed.  I think that's what Wingnut meant.

However, as others have said, any concentration of bleach will absolutely destroy the seam stitching (I can attest to this myself, unfortunately) so you have to be very careful with the application.  DO NOT spray the entire seats down with it, be very careful to only hit the isolated spots.  Yes, you need to let it sit for several minutes, maybe even until it dries and then add a little more before rinse and cleanup.

If the finish is indeed gone you might be able to refinish with SEM products or the like.  I have not done this but others on this site have and maybe they will chime in.  @tomnjo

3 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

If the finish is indeed gone you might be able to refinish with SEM products or the like.  I have not done this but others on this site have and maybe they will chime in.  @tomnjo

I was thinking the same exact thing.  The way Tom used that die on the headrests on his boat with those results was unbelievable!  They looked brand new.  It was a very bright and brilliant red which is somewhat of a dark color which makes me wonder if they have a white die that works just as well.  White is always a very difficult color to get proper coverage for obvious reasons, but would love to find out for sure.

23 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I was thinking the same exact thing.  The way Tom used that die on the headrests on his boat with those results was unbelievable!  They looked brand new.  It was a very bright and brilliant red which is somewhat of a dark color which makes me wonder if they have a white die that works just as well.  White is always a very difficult color to get proper coverage for obvious reasons, but would love to find out for sure.

This is the thread I was thinking of:  

His re-finish work turned out amazing.

33 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

I remember that.  That was incredible and this part here pretty much describes the entire process in one short paragraph to get that vinyl to look brand new again.

"First step was to scrub everything down with Dawn dish soap and a scrub brush. This got most of the oils/debris off them. I then scrubbed everything down with "SEM Soap" using a scotch brite pad. Next step was the "Vinyl Prep" spray, and lastly the vinyl dye itself. As I mentioned with regards to the bow cushions, this stuff covers amazing. The feel of the vinyl afterwards is very nice. It doesn't feel 'sticky' or 'painted' etc. If you didn't know it was dyed, there isn't really a way of knowing."

21 hours ago, Dennis A said:

His re-finish work turned out amazing.

Thanks guys! I read that whole thread and I will try the SEM products.

It can't hurt to try it, and if it doesn't work, then I will just have to get them recovered in the off-season.

I appreciate your recalling the thread for me.

Sorry guys just saw this. I have been boating!!  :D

On the pic it looks like the vinyl is worn off. I would give one of the dye products a try. I used VHT on my headrests. The SEM product used in the other thread appears to be very similar if not the same. I wouldn't spray it over mold. Keep in mind white is one of the hardest colors to match, so it probably won't be an exact match to the rest of your vinyl. Just make sure you get a dye product and not the vinyl paint that Duplicolor and Rustoleum sell. Those two products are just that, paint. It will cover at first but then eventually crack and peel off. Don't ask me how I know.

Looking at the pic and I wonder how well white dye will cover the imperfections. My white headrests were dull gray and somewhat yellowed from the sun, so I went with red because it was a darker color. It looks like there is some accent piping on that seat back, maybe tan or gray? Maybe a tan or gray dye on the seat back only may be better for coverage and you don't have to worry about matching the rest of the white.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/vht/product-line/vht-penetrating-vinyl-dye

Just now, tomnjo said:

Looking at the pic and I wonder how well white dye will cover the imperfections. My white headrests were dull gray and somewhat yellowed from the sun, so I went with red because it was a darker color. It looks like there is some accent piping on that seat back, maybe tan or gray? Maybe a tan or gray dye on the seat back only may be better for coverage and you don't have to worry about matching the rest of the white.

Shocked you didn't suggest RED  :P

1 minute ago, Dennis A said:

Shocked you didn't suggest RED  :P

Don't know the rest of the OPs color scheme.   :lol:

19 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Don't know the rest of the OPs color scheme

Thanks for weighing in. I remember reading your thread about you doing your seats to red and they look great! I wondered how it is holding up? Does it come off at all on wet suits or towels? And, to answer your question about the color scheme, I am willing to change it, so if the white doesn't "cover" then I am willing to try a grey or maybe a blue.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, summerpenguin said:

Thanks for weighing in. I remember reading your thread about you doing your seats to red and they look great! I wondered how it is holding up? Does it come off at all on wet suits or towels? And, to answer your question about the color scheme, I am willing to change it, so if the white doesn't "cover" then I am willing to try a grey or maybe a blue.

Thanks!

Like I said, the paint will crack. I painted them first and that's what happened. Stripped the paint off, what a pain that was! Put the red dye on after. It is really part of the fabric. Has been on there since March of 2016 and still looks the same. I wouldn't go too dark like blue. May get too hot to sit against. Keep in mind, I just did the headrests which are for all intensive purposes, just decorative. Here are some pics of the paint vs dye.

Dye.....

y4mWskzXSGyOnYkNnOl45r0x1ScXIROLg8a4yElZ

Paint.....You can kind of see the cracking and its too thick and glossy.

y4mgYa8AjblAqOEZxRmVmoXFpjBaJIOf3EORPI-v

We use dry stack services and when we had the boat put in the water last weekend and pulled back the cover we had what appeared to be rust spots on one of the seats.  I assume this occurred because there was a short rain burst a couple weeks ago and water came through the tin roof and down on the boat.  We've tried a couple different cleaners, CLR, diluted muriatic acid and nothing is working.  Are we totally screwed or is there something else we have not thought of?

40 minutes ago, willbaker13 said:

We use dry stack services and when we had the boat put in the water last weekend and pulled back the cover we had what appeared to be rust spots on one of the seats.  I assume this occurred because there was a short rain burst a couple weeks ago and water came through the tin roof and down on the boat.  We've tried a couple different cleaners, CLR, diluted muriatic acid and nothing is working.  Are we totally screwed or is there something else we have not thought of?

Try Oxalic acid.  Primary ingredient in Iron Out and bar keepers friend.

19 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Like I said, the paint will crack. I painted them first and that's what happened.

Thanks so much for your advice and pics! I was going to try the SEM until you mentioned the VHT. I believe the SEM is a paint, but I'm not sure. What (brand) paint did you use that didn't work for you?

I could try one of the small cushions and see how it turns out. You are right about the blue being too dark, but the color choices are limited. I may use the lighter grey instead. I'm not worried about matching the white to other cushions. I want to cover the spots. Once. The right way.

I used Duplicolor paint. Its just spray paint that sticks better to vinyl, for a while. Imagine using Krylon on the vinyl, it just puts a layer of paint on top of it. The dye is like staining wood. Soaks in and stays. The only downside is that if you don't like it that's tough. You're stuck with it. 

16 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

I used Duplicolor paint. Its just spray paint that sticks better to vinyl, for a while. Imagine using Krylon on the vinyl, it just puts a layer of paint on top of it. The dye is like staining wood. Soaks in and stays. The only downside is that if you don't like it that's tough. You're stuck with it. 

So, just like stain, once you go dark, then going lighter is out of the question?  And if you already have a dark color, going to a lighter one isn't going to work either?

That's kind of my take on it. I think if I try white dye over my red headrests they would end up pink. It may cover eventually but would need several coats. I wish I had some scrap vinyl, it would be an interesting experiment.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:24 PM, Dennis A said:

Try Oxalic acid.  Primary ingredient in Iron Out and bar keepers friend.

Thanks.  Going to give this a try tomorrow.