Jim Werner

2004 210 SSi - Original JBL Speakers

I recently purchased a 2004 210 SSi and one of the original JBL speakers (6.5 inch I think) does not work.   I am not really interested in a full audio upgrade, and I was wondering if any of you who did upgrade your system have the original speakers lying around and are willing to part with them (I'll pay a reasonable amount).

Thanks!

Jim

Cape Vincent, NY

I

On 8/24/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jim Werner said:

I recently purchased a 2004 210 SSi and one of the original JBL speakers (6.5 inch I think) does not work.   I am not really interested in a full audio upgrade, and I was wondering if any of you who did upgrade your system have the original speakers lying around and are willing to part with them (I'll pay a reasonable amount).

Thanks!

Jim

Cape Vincent, NY

Is it one of the bow or cockpit speakers? I would remove it just to see if the wires are still attached. There isn't much slack and they can easily pull off. The factory speakers are dual cones, not very good. I upgraded mine to JBL coaxials. Didn't cost too much. You can see my 210 cockpit upgrades here.....

Thanks for the response..  attached is a photo of the original speakers (they are the same in the cockpit and the bow).  I checked behind the speaker and the wires are fine..  if I push on the cone with my finger, I can get it to output sound again....  so, speaker is on it's way out for sure.

What are the part/model number for the JBL speakers you swapped in?  Did you have to modify the holes already drilled, or did they line right up with the original cutouts?  I like the "basic" look of the original speakers, and your replacement ones you put in.   Some new speakers are too "styled" for my taste.

I still would like to stick with the original speakers for the near term if someone has them laying around.. I already updated the head unit to a Clarion M508, and it already sounds way better that the original JBL head unit.  

Jim

IMG_0510.JPG

10 minutes ago, tomnjo said:

Did you have drill new holes or enlarge the existing cutout to swap in the newer JBL speakers?

Jim

If I recall correctly, they went right in. Holes were fine, screws may have been slightly off.