Sign in to follow this  
botrdav

CARPET SNAPS

I have a 246 SSI which is only 3 years old now. We ordered the boat with the optional grass weave carpeting. Since the second season I have been replacing the snaps on the piece of carpet that is furthest in the back of the boat. Yesterday we took the boat and while driving the piece of carpet almost left the boat as it was only being held in place with one snap. I took the carpet off the snap and we were thinking of how to secure the carpet as the snaps are failing. I call Reeds where we purchased it and they want me to send them a few photos to check if it may be a warranty issue. My question is has anyone secured their carpeting with something other then snaps, glue, velcro or some other product as if the snaps are replaced they will be prone to failure again. Thanks for any replies.

The snaps that I have been replacing are the same ones that Chaparral as someone from the dealership shipped me a bunch of them which told me that it must be an issue on other boats.

I have a boat fabric place do all snap work.  Snaps have quality grades. Like all else in life.

Do the snaps have the vinyl placed between snap and carpet? 

I have the snap in carpet, always taking it in and out. No problems in 10 years.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, botrdav said:

My question is has anyone secured their carpeting with something other then snaps, glue, velcro or some other product as if the snaps are replaced they will be prone to failure again.

Try new snaps on that one piece in the back and see what happens.  It's worth it before doing something more drastic.  The snap in the flooring is obviously easy to replace but if it keeps happening, you'll have to also change the button on the carpet so both pieces are newer and higher quality.  So you'll need to take out the snap in the floor, then take out the button on the carpet and get the snap tool to put new buttons on the carpet.  It's a relatively cheap tool and not too difficult a process and you only have 4 of them to do.  If the piece gets a lot of wind and lifts up etc, maybe add 2 more to it so it's even more secured to the floor.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:45 AM, jd50i said:

I have the snap in carpet, always taking it in and out. No problems in 10 years.

Mine is starting to get a little shagadelic.  The strip in the walkway from the swim platform to the cockpit takes the most beating because of constant traffic.  The edge is starting to fall apart and it's a bit darker than the rest.  I'd like to wash them all but I don't think the big center piece will fit in the washing machine.  Do yours?

I have not washed them yet. I do have the tool to install the snap to the carpet which I have replaced with snaps from the dealer where I purchased and the snaps are right from Chaparral. The snaps in the floor are pop riveted in place which the problem is as from being pulled out from the wind the hole has been bored a bit.

29 minutes ago, botrdav said:

The snaps in the floor are pop riveted in place which the problem is as from being pulled out from the wind the hole has been bored a bit.

Ah, that's a bit of a drag for sure.  Mine are all screwed into the floor, so it's easy to just unscrew whichever one and replace if needed. 

Maybe try replacing just those 3 or 4 snaps on that one piece of carpet with screw-in snaps?  Use a slightly larger screw that will grab that bored out hole a bit better and that still has a screw head narrow enough to recess into the snap?  Either that or mix some 5-minute epoxy and put a little dab into the hole an under the snap, screw it in and put something heavy over it.  That'll stick very well, actually.  The only problem with that is it will be very difficult to remove that snap later with the epoxy holding it, but that's not much different than the riveted snaps anyway.

40 minutes ago, botrdav said:

The snaps in the floor are pop riveted in place which the problem is as from being pulled out from the wind the hole has been bored a bit.

Common factory problem, all brands.  The following should help.  Get a box or two of plastic wall anchors one size larger than the existing hole.  Use traditional plastic wall anchors, not the ones that screw-in, not the ones with a spring and levers.  If snug, but it will fit, take a rubber mallet and a bit of super glue and tap in place without bending it over.  If too snug, ream the hole a little until snug. You want a tight fit.  Snug, not loose.  Then, with the rubber mallet tap, tap, tap after applying a bit of super glue.  As to the super glue, wet it.  Don't drown it, but a few drops is too little... wet it.  The key, get enough under the "flange" so there is a little "oozing".  Once seated, add a few more drops around the flange and hole and let it dry.  Once dry, with a screwdriver, not a drill or mechanical driver, hand install and tighten until the base until snug.  Verify everything is dry, then install the carpet.  Problem solved.  (The glue must be completely dry or the carpet will...) 

If your snap bases use a pop-rivet instead of a screw, purchase ones with a stainless screw or drill/bust the rivet out and use a stainless screw in lieu of.  The screw should have a somewhat coarse thread to develop a good and lasting "bite".  Fiberglass isn't something that will retain a rivet unless there's access to both sides, and each side can be mechanically set.  Snap bases are pretty inexpensive.  Perhaps a few bucks (for a bag).  (P.S.  If you go with the plastic anchor method I described above, also use a stainless screw.  Nearly any thread will work.) 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:41 AM, Hatem said:

Mine is starting to get a little shagadelic.  The strip in the walkway from the swim platform to the cockpit takes the most beating because of constant traffic.  The edge is starting to fall apart and it's a bit darker than the rest.  I'd like to wash them all but I don't think the big center piece will fit in the washing machine.  Do yours?

I have never put them in the washing machine, I always wash them in place or in the driveway.