Jump to content
Sdools

230 SSI Recommendations

Recommended Posts

Hi I currently have an 18 foot bowrider in Narragansett Bay Rhode Island.  On average it’s 1-2 foot waves and usually under 10 knots, but in the afternoons the winds can pick up and can get 3-4 foot waves and 10-15 knots - moderate chop.  In an 18 foot bowrider it’s great when the its calm, but when conditions change quickly it can be an uncomfortable wet and rough ride.

I have been looking to upgrade and the Chaparral 230 SSI is the boat that I’ve been considering.  It has the deep v hull with the extended v plane and 22 degree deadrise to add some stability.  I wouldn’t be taking this into open ocean, but would this handle these bay conditions well and is it a pretty dry ride even though it’s a bow rider?  Looking for opinions and recommendations.

I am looking at a 2001 Chaparral 230 SSI that has a 220 HP 5.7 L Mercruiser engine.  

Thanks,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is definitely going to handle your conditions muck better. 3-4 footers are about the most I would want to see with it though. The 5.7 is the setup you want as the big blocks are very hard to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay thanks.  

How many gallons per hour does a boat like this get you going at crusing speed?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Just want to double check as the 5.7 is more than 220hp but the 5.0 carb is 220 hp.  Which engine are we talking about?  

+1. A carbed  5.7 will be 250 HP. If this is a 220 HP carbed 5.0, I think it will be a  little weak. What outdrive does it have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

Just want to double check as the 5.7 is more than 220hp but the 5.0 carb is 220 hp.  Which engine are we talking about?  

Thanks for your reply.  Its a Mercruiser engine.  I will have to double check on the hp with the marina if that doesn’t seem right.  I know that it’s a 5.7 L EFI digital ignition from the picture but it doesn’t say the HP on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

30-40 gallons per hour would be my guess at WOT.  cruising maybe half that.

Boats tend to get 1-2miles per gallon

Thanks.  At cruising speed (mainly concerned about cruising speed) that doesn’t seem very fuel efficient if it burns 15 gallons per hour, shouldnt it be more like 5-8?

30 gallons gone in just a couple of hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tomnjo said:

+1. A carbed  5.7 will be 250 HP. If this is a 220 HP carbed 5.0, I think it will be a  little weak. What outdrive does it have?

Its definitely a 5.7 L EFI so it must be 250 hp.  I will have to find out from the marina. Other 230 SSis that I have seen tend to be Alpha 1 in this configuration since it does not have a dual prop like the Bravos.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me 6 hours of hot dogging & almost WOT to almost empty 38 gallons in my 5.0 L 220 hp in a 186 with no swim platform added to it.

 

Persistence pays off.    :wub:

Came bake from a detailed web site about Mercruiser engine fuel consumption at different speeds of a 5.0 220 hp  TKS carb engine.

3500 rpm was 9.4 gal per hour.  load & conditions not specified.

At    www.boat-fuel-economy.com/ mercury-mercruiser-5.0-305-fuelconsumption-us-gallons    you can select different tach speeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

It took me 6 hours of hot dogging & almost WOT to almost empty 38 gallons in my 5.0 L 220 hp in a 186 with no swim platform added to it.

 

Persistence pays off.    :wub:

Came bake from a detailed web site about Mercruiser engine fuel consumption at different speeds of a 5.0 220 hp  TKS carb engine.

3500 rpm was 9.4 gal per hour.  load & conditions not specified.

At    www.boat-fuel-economy.com/ mercury-mercruiser-5.0-305-fuelconsumption-us-gallons    you can select different tach speeds.

What a fun website, Cyclops! Thanks for the link!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sdools said:

Its definitely a 5.7 L EFI so it must be 250 hp.  I will have to find out from the marina. Other 230 SSis that I have seen tend to be Alpha 1 in this configuration since it does not have a dual prop like the Bravos.

thanks

For what it is worth, model year 2002 is when the modern MPI 5.7 came out....the one that is smartcraft and vesseview compatable.  Your subject EFI engine will have become obsolete in that very 2001 boat.  The 2002 MPI engine then was used until just a few years ago when the next gen of mercruiser produced engines were intro'd.  Also, will mention than my 220 SSi which is the sister to the 230 has a Bravo 1 and not an Alpha 1.  The B1 will outrun an B3 in general but be slower out of the hole.  The Bravo technology is a big step up from the Alpha as you are considering your options.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

It took me 6 hours of hot dogging & almost WOT to almost empty 38 gallons in my 5.0 L 220 hp in a 186 with no swim platform added to it.

 

Persistence pays off.    :wub:

Came bake from a detailed web site about Mercruiser engine fuel consumption at different speeds of a 5.0 220 hp  TKS carb engine.

3500 rpm was 9.4 gal per hour.  load & conditions not specified.

At    www.boat-fuel-economy.com/ mercury-mercruiser-5.0-305-fuelconsumption-us-gallons    you can select different tach speeds.

Cyclops, 6.3 gallons per hour that you were getting sounds more like it!  Funny I did see that website and they even have a list of similar Chaparral models that they reference there.  I tried the  MerCruiser 5.7L - 350 cid one which has 4.5 GPH @ 2,000 RPM and 6.6 GPH @ 2,500 RPM.  Finally 8.7 GPH @ 3,000 RPM.  The only thing I can't find is what rpm translates to in mph for this boat.  

The Chaparral 220 has 19 mph @ 2000 RPM, 26 mph @ 2500 RPM, and 35 mph @ 43 RPM on boat test.com, but this boat also has a MerCruiser 350 Mag MPI with Bravo 3.  Would a 5.7L 260 HP Mercruiser 230 SSi get better or worse gas milage than the 220 with the 350 Mag MPI?  25 mph seems like a good cruising speed for a long cruise so burning only 6.6 GPH wouldn't be bad.  

Thanks for all of your help!


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

For what it is worth, model year 2002 is when the modern MPI 5.7 came out....the one that is smartcraft and vesseview compatable.  Your subject EFI engine will have become obsolete in that very 2001 boat.  The 2002 MPI engine then was used until just a few years ago when the next gen of mercruiser produced engines were intro'd.  Also, will mention than my 220 SSi which is the sister to the 230 has a Bravo 1 and not an Alpha 1.  The B1 will outrun an B3 in general but be slower out of the hole.  The Bravo technology is a big step up from the Alpha as you are considering your options.   

Thanks Chaparral Rider.  This is a Youtube video of the 2001 and this one has an older 5.0L  Mercruiser and in my opinion it doesn't have any problems taking off.  I am not looking for a speed boat, but a good family boat that has a solid ride, a good cruising speed and fuel economy.  I am hoping that this is the right boat.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went from an 18' Sea Ray to a 2000 230 SSi and it was the best decision we ever made. The layout of the 230 is amazing. The cockpit feels roomy and deep, the boat is stable and doesn't rock, and there's plenty of seating. We had a 5.7 Volvo set up (single prop) and the boat performed flawlessly. The large fuel tank was perfect for us and meant we didn't have to go back to the fuel dock each day. Our 18' only had a 30 gallon tank...we barely lasted one full day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sdools said:

Thanks Chaparral Rider.  This is a Youtube video of the 2001 and this one has an older 5.0L  Mercruiser and in my opinion it doesn't have any problems taking off.  I am not looking for a speed boat, but a good family boat that has a solid ride, a good cruising speed and fuel economy.  I am hoping that this is the right boat.  

 

There's a lot to it for sure. Water sports, loading it up with a lot of people, etc,  and then you see the difference in engines.  Like 4wd, you don't always use it but when you want it, you are happy to have it.  It's the age old question and conundrum.  My take is these boats we are talking about are old and inexpensive this far along, the bigger engine additional cost in the used boat is tiny compared to the upgrade when new, that's the beauty of used boat, you don't have to settle...it's pennies on the dollar.  If a particular boat had a 350 or 377 option, then man, that's what I'm going to get.   The B3 will help mask the 5.0 though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a family picture of a 196 ?   with a 5.0 and 6 skiers fully up. assorted sizes of people.

You must get a low slippage prop. If not. The prop is wasting your H P & torque on pull ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChappyMike said:

We went from an 18' Sea Ray to a 2000 230 SSi and it was the best decision we ever made. The layout of the 230 is amazing. The cockpit feels roomy and deep, the boat is stable and doesn't rock, and there's plenty of seating. We had a 5.7 Volvo set up (single prop) and the boat performed flawlessly. The large fuel tank was perfect for us and meant we didn't have to go back to the fuel dock each day. Our 18' only had a 30 gallon tank...we barely lasted one full day! 

Mike 30 gallons seems big when you have a 15 gallon tank! Haha.  I am upgrading from an 18 foot boat that only has a 15 gallon tank.  I ran out of gas out there before (thank god for SeaTow!) because I never knew how big the fuel tank was and I had read somewhere that it had a 30 gallon tank - they were wrong.

May I ask you about the 230 - how is the fuel economy (5-6 GPH)?  Is it a self bailing cockpit so that it just drains out when it rains?  That’s another big problem I have with my current boat especially when the auto bilge doesn’t work.  Does it handle well in rougher weather?

It sounds like a great boat.

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember exact fuel economy, but I know I was impressed with it. Yes, it has a self bailing cockpit, so it'll drain when it rains. We loved it because it was very easy to hose out. The engine hatch is also very big on this boat, so you have access to almost everything without having to be come a contortionist. 

In my opinion, it handled bigger water very well. We were being chased by a thunderstorm one afternoon and had nine people on board. We were easily holding almost 50 mph in some decent size chop as the storm was on our tail. Other times in chop we've just plowed through no problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, ChappyMike said:

I can't remember exact fuel economy, but I know I was impressed with it. Yes, it has a self bailing cockpit, so it'll drain when it rains. We loved it because it was very easy to hose out. The engine hatch is also very big on this boat, so you have access to almost everything without having to be come a contortionist. 

In my opinion, it handled bigger water very well. We were being chased by a thunderstorm one afternoon and had nine people on board. We were easily holding almost 50 mph in some decent size chop as the storm was on our tail. Other times in chop we've just plowed through no problem. 

Thanks for all the info!  Yes hosing it down would be nice, in my current boat I’d then have to run a manual bilge.  Wow 9 people, waves and 50 mph - that sounds like a great boat, I havent heard a bad thing about the 230 SSi!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2018 at 5:38 PM, tomnjo said:

+1. A carbed  5.7 will be 250 HP. If this is a 220 HP carbed 5.0, I think it will be a  little weak. What outdrive does it have?

Hey tomnjo,

I just found out its a Mercruiser 5.7 EFI engine with a bravo3 outdrive.

You were asking me the outdrive in relation to the HP/fuel economy and performance of the engine.

Thanks,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's a whole different animal and should be fine in the 230.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 11:11 AM, tomnjo said:

Well that's a whole different animal and should be fine in the 230.

Its a Bravo 3, but it has a single prop.  Would I be better off upgrading the prop to a dual prop for better gas mileage?  Would that work for Mercruiser or is that mainly for the Volvo Penta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if its Bravo3 it should have dual prop?

If that’s the case I might be looking at an old picture that shows a single prop.

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×