DarkMantle

Does the galley refrigerator have a drain?

In trying to track down multiple water sources to the bilge, I was wondering if the fridge has a drain on it at all, either for the inside itself or for the condenser.  After all the the other leaks were finally solved, I still have very clean water appearing from under the gas tank that makes it's way back to the aft bilge area.  This is sitting in the slip, no rain or any other external water source.  It's not the potable water lines either.  The only other thing I can think of that can be a source of water that clean, would be the fridge.  It's not tonnes of water but probably a couple glasses worth after about an hour.

I don't think the refrigerator has any type of drain. Maybe the air conditioner condensation? It's supposed to drain to a sump pump but on mine the drain hose ran over another hose which lifted it higher than the drain pan so it overflowed. I had to reroute the hose.

Could be the water heater.  My T & P valve leaks just a little and I have about a gallon per week that ends up in the bilge.

bschuster, are you on the 600 dock??

9 hours ago, bcboater said:

Could be the water heater.  My T & P valve leaks just a little and I have about a gallon per week that ends up in the bilge.

bschuster, are you on the 600 dock??

Does this valve come into play using the AC?  Where is it located?

Is your water pump coming on, say for a few seconds in a one hour period?? It could the the water line to the A.C. unit be leaking?  

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:08 AM, DarkMantle said:

After all the the other leaks were finally solved, I still have very clean water appearing from under the gas tank that makes it's way back to the aft bilge area. 

I'm guessing you have a forward bilge also, right?  If so, are you sure that one is working?  Is it possible that one of the fixtures or appliances drains into the forward bilge and that pump is not working so it overflows that bilge box and drains through the keyway to the aft bilge where you're seeing it?  Have you checked that forward bilge pump (if you have one) and know it's working?

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

Is your water pump coming on, say for a few seconds in a one hour period?? It could the the water line to the A.C. unit be leaking?  

Far as I know the AC unit has its own diaphragm pump. The potable water pump comes on for maybe 1 second over the course of many hours. 

4 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

Far as I know the AC unit has its own diaphragm pump. The potable water pump comes on for maybe 1 second over the course of many hours. 

On the A.C. unit. That water line should run from the engine compartment to the V berth where the A.C. unit is. At lest on my boat! My point is, could that line be leaking??

Several / a couple of glasses of water  per hour is a LOT to me.  If docked.  

If you shut off all 12 vdc & 120 vac power in the boat. Dry the bilge............ Does water still collect in the same amount in the bilge the next day ?  Every hour ?  II no water ?  It is not the refrigerator.

Do you keep the hotwater tank running ?  That can be over heating & causing the hot water pressure valve to open & relieve pressure.

The cold water pump /  lines / tank may have a  leak.

I would be sure the engine or any of the engine hoses /  block parts are not leaking. 

I would dry the bilge right up to........ a engine to fuel tank bulkhead.  Sprinkle some Coco powder or any other dark colored powder at the edge of the bulkhead & bilge floor. That will define which side of the bulkhead the water is from.

Lots of testing to do. On both sides of the bulkhead.

7 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

We have the same boat, you and I. Check the shower drain / AC condensation lines. They should run to a sump box in the forward bilge under the steps. That box is “sealed” with a bilge sump pump inside.  That pump should keep the box evacuated unless it isnt working. Then the water will find it’s way into the forward bilge and move to the aft bilge through a channel. My guess is the AC condensation (that ac makes A LOT of water) is making its way into the bilge. 

If your freshwater pump is only coming on for a second every hour, that system is not leaking. Even a small leak will result in a frequent activation of the pump. 

I'm going to look into the water heater.  There is always water around the Fireboy in the engine compartment and a trickle of water from the black tube coming off the T&P Valve. I don't know if this tube ever just openly dumps when under way.  This very clean water always reappears from under the gas tank regardless of what's on or off, plugged in or not plugged in.  I usually leave the Shopvac on for 30 mins with the hose right at the bottom of the Bulkhead exit to pull whatever is there out, and it stays dry for quite some time, then low and behold it creeps back.  And it's 100 percent water, clean clear water, not gas.  I've checked the AC line, both the feed and the drain and as far as I can see there is no leak.  I leave the AC off when I'm not there.  The center bilge box is working as advertised.  No lines going into it are leaking.  This is perplexing to say the least.

1 hour ago, DarkMantle said:

I'm going to look into the water heater.  There is always water around the Fireboy in the engine compartment and a trickle of water from the black tube coming off the T&P Valve. I don't know if this tube ever just openly dumps when under way.  This very clean water always reappears from under the gas tank regardless of what's on or off, plugged in or not plugged in.  I usually leave the Shopvac on for 30 mins with the hose right at the bottom of the Bulkhead exit to pull whatever is there out, and it stays dry for quite some time, then low and behold it creeps back.  And it's 100 percent water, clean clear water, not gas.  I've checked the AC line, both the feed and the drain and as far as I can see there is no leak.  I leave the AC off when I'm not there.  The center bilge box is working as advertised.  No lines going into it are leaking.  This is perplexing to say the least.

Sounds like you're doing good investigative work.  Crazy idea, but if you have lights in your bilge, maybe set a GoPro up to watch the water heater?  Grasping at straws here.  I really don't think there's a condensation drain on the refrigerator, but I don't know that for sure.  Good luck!  Wish I could be of some help.

5 hours ago, DarkMantle said:

I'm dry bilge A retentive, so it bugs me to have water there.  I did trace it to the T & P like I said.  It just drips a little and waiting until off season to replace the valve.  There won't be a large dump of water unless there is a serious problem with the water heater that is over pressured.

I think I finally figured the primary leak. Its coming from the transom. Not the transom plate but the transom itself. Water is seeping in right where the transom meets the hull bottom. I find it hard to believe it's the actual fibreglass. I'm hoping it's the brass plug (I can't see it) or the boss it screws into. I didn't use Teflon tape, perhaps I should have. Either way that's where it's coming from. Have any of you experienced that before?

This is beyond frustrating. I found multiple leak sources in the swim platform from misdrilled screw holes and lack of sealent on through hulls. Thought I made some headway  Took the boat out for no more than 10 minutes, and there's 5 gallons of water in the bilge. This is for sure only happening when the boat is used. However, it's over the course of a few hours if sitting in the slip that the water accumulated. But the boat had to have gone for a run first.  If I let it sit there over night there would have been a little water but not much. All the bellows were done less than a year ago. I just pulled the boat, filled the bilge with probably 12 gallons of water, added food coloring and let it sit on an inclined ramp. No leak. I'm beginning to think this may be exhaust related. Can that Y connection be accessed with the engine still in?  Does water stay in the riser when the engine is off?  

Year...model of boat.................. engine make.... size of engine cubic inches..... general condition of engine looks NOT new lots of hoses replaced clamps all different types..............rust on hose ends.......rust on places of engine

have you run the engine on a garden hose setup......... run the engine without any water accidently.

Will help Wingnut & Shepherd help you.

You would see rusty water trails around the gaskets if the risers were leaking, that much water wouldn't be hard to miss.  You might have a transom seal that's leaking if you're getting that much water and only when you're out.  

Does the water accumulate with the engines running but not moving?  If so, then it could be the exhaust.   If not, could very well be a bad transom seal.

In that case I would pull the boat out, pull the butt plug, drain it completely and let it dry.  Then run a bead of 4200 all around the outside of the transom assembly.  Let it dry well then test it in the water.  If the water stops coming in then you'll know you need to replace the transom seal.  If not, the 4200 won't be that difficult to remove.  

Look at the good ?  side.   You are finding & repairing what has built up over time.  Do not stop now. You are getting close to completion.

The engine is a good condition. It's a merc 8.1 MAG. Water does collect when sitting not used, but not much. If it's a transom seal, would that not leak all of the time?  Is there a seal on the outside or just the plate behind the engine? I do see a water drop right where the two exhaust runs meet at the bottom, behind the engine, but before going through the transom. The leak seems to be on the forward side of that why. So somewhere low on the engine but at the back. It's a drip that lessens with time. I have no idea what is happening when the boat is out. Very dangerous to try and curl up there. 

Try retightening all the reachable hose clamps. Retighten any bolts holding drive to transom.

There sure is a lot of water coming from somewhere. 

A suggestion or two that should help isolate the source(s).  A dry powder like snap-line chalk, graphite, flour, etc. can be "puffed" onto a hose, fiberglass surface, etc. will help isolate the source and amount.  After being stationary overnight, check to see if there are tracks and where.  Likewise, after being runabout for a time, viewed to see if there are tracks and where.  Considering your statement from earlier today, "Took the boat out for no more than 10 minutes, and there's 5 gallons of water in the bilge.", I wonder if the water is being "pumped/forced".  A leaking hose, exhaust leak, water pump seal or perhaps a failed check valve on the bilge pump - something under pressure when in operation - is what I'd focus on.  5 gallons is a lot of water after 10 minutes of use or an hour for that matter. 

A thought regarding the transom.  If leaking, I believe the amount would be the same whether running around or stationary unless its loose and torque from the engine creates a bigger gap when running.  Please consider, a drain plug left out is only a problem when stationary.  When underway, there's enough suction to prevent accumulation and to draw out any collected water.  I'm sure there's a "magic" MPH that matters.

Well after an exhaustive search I found a rather large leak and cause of the consistent static drip. It's the plastic boss that's attached to the transom where the hose from the drive lube reservoir connects. It's a 2 large drip per second to almost a consistent stream of water coming in. I've no idea how that's attached or if that's a drive pull. It certainly looks like I have to remove the steering actuator and possibly the water feed hose as this piece is directly under that feed hose. 

I believe Wingnut describes that nasty tube failure & how to repair it.

Not a  simple job as I recall.

IF  it snaps off ?   Can the flow in sink the boat ? Run the bilge battery dead ?   That is my concern.

3 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

I believe Wingnut describes that nasty tube failure & how to repair it.

Not a  simple job as I recall.

Would you happen to recall the link?