ChappyMike

A/C on Boat Needs to be Replaced - Suggestions?

When we purchased our 280 Signature earlier this year, we knew the A/C needed to be replaced. Luckily we live in the Pacific Northwest, so the amount of times we actually NEEDED the A/C could be counted on one hand. As one of my winter projects, however, I'd like to give into replacing the unit. The boat currently has the factory A/C from 2003...the brand is Marine Airrrrr and it's ducted and plumbed from the factory. 

I've been trying to find a direct replacement but can't find any model/serial info on the unit itself. Does anyone happen to know what model is typically in these boats?

Also, anyone have experience changing this out?  Is there another brand that is a good "plug and play" replacement? I'm trying to avoid swapping out ductwork, plumbing, and any electrical. 

Thanks!

My guess is it is the Marine Air 6000 BTU model. Go to there website and look at the information to see which one fits. It maybe the 9000 model. If the 9000 would fit go with it.

Marine Air is now part of Dometic Group as of 2003.  How far did you go digging for model number info?  There should be a tag on the unit, likely on the side of the evaporator case.  The easiest and most straight forward option may be to replace it with the same model if available.  

category-1.jpg

Yeah mine is much bigger/clunkier looking than the one above. I couldn't find a tag or model number on it, but didn't dig as deep as I probably should. I believe the 280's came with either a 9k or 12k BTU unit.

The thermostat on the boat is the older one than pictured above. I'd love a newer one if it covered the hole from the old one.

My main concern is making sure the water intake pump (located back in the engine compartment) will work with the main unit. I'm hoping I don't have to switch that, as the one I have is working just fine.

What I could find for that year of 289 was a 10,000 BTU, but Marine Air does not show that size. The 11,000 that you have pictured above would be best if foot print matches.

Looks like what you need. The pump should be just fine.