WJL24

Sunesta 236 w 5.0 UNDER POWERED?

I am looking for a used boat. Drove a 2004 Sunesta with 5.0 MPI and Alpha 1. The top speed was only about 37 on the speedo with five people in the boat, slight chop and some wind. Boat was on a lift so the hull was clean. The hole shot seemed a little week too. I slalom ski and need some power to get up. It has a standard aluminum 3 blade prop in good condition. 330 hours and overall excellent condition. I loved every other aspect of this boat.

Anyone have one of these? What is your experience with this engine in this boat? Does this seem normal? I know these boat speedo's aren't always very accurate. Also, my last two boats had a lot of power, a 1975 17' Mark Twain with a 302 and then a 1986 Stingray SBV205 with a 5.7.

Any way to get a little more out of this set up? 4 blade prop? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Nice thing about boats is you are sitting in an engine dyno all the time. If the final drive ratio is as delivered and she still has the proper factory spec impeller, then she should reach rated RPM of between 4,600 and 4,800 RPM. If she does, and trim is optimized, then engine is healthy and top speed becomes a function of loading, hull condition, and sea condition. You did not tell us what the WOT RPM was.   W

Used boats come with any prop. For many reasons.

I always did 2 boat tests. Me alone for the best test of the boat / prop. Then with up to 6 ...200 pound people to make sure it can plane in a emergency.

GPS & tachometer readings needed as a starting point BEFORE any electrical & fuel system replacement is done.

Engine & drive might be excellent after some normal parts.

I've got a new to me (this season) 2004 Sunesta 234 which is about the same as the one you are looking at except I've got the Volvo 5.0 GXI with SX drive - 270HP.  I bought the boat with a 3 blade 14.5 x 21 prop and the hole shot was kinda weak and took a while to plane - top speed was about 40 at 4600 rpm - ended up breaking down about 10 hours in due to loss of spark - needed a tune up.  I did a complete tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fluids, filters.   

I switched to 4 blade 14.5 x 19 and hole shot is great - much quicker and smoother.  Planes very quick and gets right up to 4800 rpm with a top speed of about 38-40 depending on water conditions and load.  I'd probably get more top end with a 3 blade but the hole shot is better with a 4 blade so I'll stay with that for now.  I mostly cruise around 3500 rpm at about 20-25 mph or pull the kids on the tube so don't need a speed demon.

It's a heavy boat and the 5.0 is probably a bit undersized for it - a 5.7 would be much better in terms of torque but the 5.0 does find for what I need at this point.

Hope this helps.

Same engine as I have in my 210 SS, only in a fat Sunesta? That 37 to 40 MPH figure sounds about right. Gotta have a 350 MAG in one of those. Also can't believe it has an Alpha.....

I've only got a 220 and there's no way I'd have settled for a five liter.  I had to step over a lot 5.0's to get a 5.7 but would imagine the 5.7 is the more common engine on the 236.  I can't imagine being satisfied after the initial excitement of the boat wears off with a 5.0 in that boat which is 800lbs more than my 220.  

If you want a boat to hole shoot great ?  AND  have maximum top speed ?     You MUST have 2 different props.  

And jump in the water & change it as needed. Wear gloves & LONG jeans. Have spare nut & spacer in a mesh bag  Tie a line on the nut wrench . Jam the  prop with a piece of 2 x 4.   Piece of cake at a dock. My props can cut me with out the gloves.

Thanks for the replies. You guys with the same boat and 5.0 confirmed what I already thought, just a little underpowered. Can you pull a slalom skier up with 5 or 6 people in the boat?

If it can do that I may be able to live with the top end.

I know I can change props for different purposes as I have done on my other boats to get top speed or better hole shot. 

I really like the additional room and storage of that boat. Kind of pontoon like in that respect. 

No way you are going to pull a slalom skier and 5 or 6 people in the boat with a 5.0. I have a 236SSX with the 5.7 and not sure I could do it. 

Futzin - those are really awesome pics. Looks like you are enjoying your boat!

I guess I usually don't ski when there's a lot of people on the boat. Usually about four of us go out to ski so only would have three in boat. Might be pulling a tube with more people in the boat.

I contacted Chaparral about performance of this boat with 5.0 and here's what they sent to me. (attached)  No way this boat was going to hit 50 when I drove it. Wish I could go back and play around with it for a while and figure out whether I could deal with that 5.0 or not.

236 performance test - 0291_001.pdf

Futzin's pics show all skiers on 2 skis behind the 5.0 and slalom skiers behind his 350 MAG. Did you say you slalom ski??  :scratchchin:  :rolleyes:

Well. I located another very nice boat. 

2006 220 SSI with 350 mag and bravo 3. Has 396 hours and is in real good condition. 

Haven't water tested it yet though. 

On 9/4/2018 at 5:39 PM, Chaparral Rider said:

I've only got a 220 and there's no way I'd have settled for a five liter.  I had to step over a lot 5.0's to get a 5.7 but would imagine the 5.7 is the more common engine on the 236.  I can't imagine being satisfied after the initial excitement of the boat wears off with a 5.0 in that boat which is 800lbs more than my 220.  

My 220ssi has a 5.0mpi with bravo 3. Has never felt underpowered. I wouldn't say no to a 350, but 5.0 is plenty for the 220. 

1 hour ago, Jminz said:

My 220ssi has a 5.0mpi with bravo 3. Has never felt underpowered. I wouldn't say no to a 350, but 5.0 is plenty for the 220. 

I'm sure it is relative.  If i jumped on your 220, I bet I would notice a difference between my 350MPI in my 220.  I could possibly consider that difference to be under powered in certain situations.  Yamaha sells my waverunners with and without a supercharger.  The NA version seems great and you say to yourself, 'self, how could it get any faster than this?' until you jump on the supercharged version and it quickly hits you that your paradigm has just shifted.    End of the day, these used Chaps in the early to mid 2000's are very cheap and you don't have to stretch to buy one, why not get the biggest engine as they are penny's on the dollar compared to new?  There's a Cobalt 220 for sale by me and it has a 496 in it..I'm sure he would say the same thing if jumping in a Chap 220 with a measly 300hp.  Relativism    

If you need ultra fast top speed............ Buy the largest.  Or put in a racing crate engine. 

So many boats are running power wasting  props.  I had a prop like that. Replaced it. Boat can pull trucks into the river.  :haha-7383:

On 9/4/2018 at 4:48 PM, cyclops2 said:

If you want a boat to hole shoot great ?  AND  have maximum top speed ?     You MUST have 2 different props.  

And jump in the water & change it as needed. Wear gloves & LONG jeans. Have spare nut & spacer in a mesh bag  Tie a line on the nut wrench . Jam the  prop with a piece of 2 x 4.   Piece of cake at a dock. My props can cut me with out the gloves.

Variable pitch prop like the Land and Sea or Quicksilver power2.  

14 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

If you need ultra fast top speed............ Buy the largest.  Or put in a racing crate engine. 

So many boats are running power wasting  props.  I had a prop like that. Replaced it. Boat can pull trucks into the river.  :haha-7383:

What prop are you running?  

20 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I'm sure it is relative.  If i jumped on your 220, I bet I would notice a difference between my 350MPI in my 220.  I could possibly consider that difference to be under powered in certain situations.  Yamaha sells my waverunners with and without a supercharger.  The NA version seems great and you say to yourself, 'self, how could it get any faster than this?' until you jump on the supercharged version and it quickly hits you that your paradigm has just shifted.    End of the day, these used Chaps in the early to mid 2000's are very cheap and you don't have to stretch to buy one, why not get the biggest engine as they are penny's on the dollar compared to new?  There's a Cobalt 220 for sale by me and it has a 496 in it..I'm sure he would say the same thing if jumping in a Chap 220 with a measly 300hp.  Relativism    

I understand. I would have bought a 220 with the 350 had one been available. But I couldn't find one. Maybe one day when it's time to repower. 

1 hour ago, Jminz said:

I understand. I would have bought a 220 with the 350 had one been available. But I couldn't find one. Maybe one day when it's time to repower. 

I get it, It must've been 10 to 1 ratio of 5.0 vs 5.7 when I was shopping.  Finding just the right boat with the things that you really want isn't easy like it is with a car meaning sometimes there's a bit of a delay while the search continues.  I would have likely went to some other brand such as a cobalt if I couldn't find the 220 with a 5.7 back when I was shopping.  (My previous boat was a newer Chaparral but the 220 is not an easy model to locate).  There were seven people in line to buy my 220, physically in line behind me, they are so rare here in particular with a 5.7 and platform.

4 minutes ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I get it, It must've been 10 to 1 ratio of 5.0 vs 5.7 when I was shopping.  Finding just the right boat with the things that you really want isn't easy like it is with a car meaning sometimes there's a bit of a delay while the search continues.  I would have likely went to some other brand such as a cobalt if I couldn't find the 220 with a 5.7 back when I was shopping.  (My previous boat was a newer Chaparral but the 220 is not an easy model to locate).  There were seven people in line to buy my 220, physically in line behind me, they are so rare here in particular with a 5.7 and platform.

Yes they are. Great boat!

On 9/5/2018 at 8:46 PM, WJL24 said:

Well. I located another very nice boat. 

2006 220 SSI with 350 mag and bravo 3. Has 396 hours and is in real good condition. 

Haven't water tested it yet though. 

Better jump on that assuming price is right. Fantastic choice. 

i have a 350mag and duoprop in my 2006 252, it always pulls 50mph on gps every time, fully loaded it will will always do 48mph on gps. with F5 props and pulls like a freight train. 5.7GXi and duo prop is where it is at! Find one! 

I would also rec Volvo duo prop over Bravo 3