Challenger604

Painted trailer and salt water

Hello. So my wife and I recently purchased a vacation home on the golf coast. We live in the Midwest and that is where we boat. We will be vacationing for three weeks over the holidays and was think it would be fun to bring our boat or Jetski with us. I understand that after use I would need to flush the engine with salt away and give the exterior a good bath. But what about the trailer. They are painted and have surge breaks on the boat trailer. Have any of you taken a painted trailer and put it in salt water. Anything special you did other then wash it. Or is this just a pipe dream and I should not do this. Thanks for your help and input. 

The painted side is fine, it's the inside of the tubular frame that will take the hit as it's almost impossible to flush. Galvanized trailers are dipped, while painted trailers are sprayed. I would have your boat launched at a marina with a fork lift, or put as little of the trailer in the water as ramp configuration allows. Not an ideal situation by any means.  W

2 hours ago, Challenger604 said:

Have any of you taken a painted trailer and put it in salt water. Anything special you did other then wash it. Or is this just a pipe dream and I should not do this. Thanks for your help and input. 

Do it and enjoy the boat.  Take it, launch it and have fun and don't worry about the trailer paint.  Rinse it down with a sprayer hose as best you can, even scrub and wash it with soap if you want and enjoy the boat. If you worry about these kinda things, you'll limit yourself in getting the most out of your boat.  The inside of the trailer tubes are bare anyway, aren't they?  I doubt they got in there with a sprayer and painted them inside unless they dipped them in paint which I highly doubt they did that.  Nothing is going to stay in mint condition forever so do the best you can and get the most out of your boat. 

13 hours ago, Hatem said:

Do it and enjoy the boat.  Take it, launch it and have fun and don't worry about the trailer paint.  Rinse it down with a sprayer hose as best you can, even scrub and wash it with soap if you want and enjoy the boat. If you worry about these kinda things, you'll limit yourself in getting the most out of your boat.  The inside of the trailer tubes are bare anyway, aren't they?  I doubt they got in there with a sprayer and painted them inside unless they dipped them in paint which I highly doubt they did that.  Nothing is going to stay in mint condition forever so do the best you can and get the most out of your boat. 

My E Z-Loader trailer is painted only on the outside. If you have concerns, find a water drain hole at the back of the trailer and hit the insides of the tubes with fogging oil through one of the holes, it will form a moisture barrier.  Denny.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:42 AM, Hatem said:

Thanks Hatem. You are right that things won’t be mint forever. I like your way of thinking on this to get the most out of the boat. 

12 hours ago, Denny said:

My E Z-Loader trailer is painted only on the outside. If you have concerns, find a water drain hole at the back of the trailer and hit the insides of the tubes with fogging oil through one of the holes, it will form a moisture barrier.  Denny.

Denny. That’s an awesome idea. Never thought to do that. I also like the idea of having it forklifted of the trailer and put in the water. A friend also though to fine a freshwater lake a splash the trailer and boat in that. These have really peaked my interest to bring our boat on holiday with us. 

My hot dipped Galvanized trailer is a 1986  unit has seen 90 % fresh 10% salt decades ago. No rust except where I drilled plate holes.

On 9/3/2018 at 1:01 PM, Challenger604 said:

A friend also though to fine a freshwater lake a splash the trailer and boat in that. These have really peaked my interest to bring our boat on holiday with us. 

This is actually the best and easiest idea out of all the suggestions.  Even when you get back to your home lake, just take the trailer there and dip it in and out at the ramp a half dozen times and you're good to goooooo. 

My trailer is at the trailer shop getting new brake discs and rotors and calipers etc.  I've been boating salt water 3 out of the last 4 years but the rotors rusted up because they're not being used as much since I slip the boat, so only twice a year.  And even so, trailer mechanic told me I didn't need them replaced but I just wanted to because I'm taking the boat all the way down to Florida, so I figured get the works done for the trip just to be safe.  But other than that, 3 years of in and out of saltwater and even the electrical lines and connections are perfectly fine.  Had one corrode on a bit on the rear right blinker but that was about it.  I hose it down A LOT and keep up with the cleaning, so I'm sure that helps.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:42 AM, Hatem said:

I'm sorry, but that's awful advice, Hatem.  Steel trailers and saltwater absolutely do not mix.  There are multiple threads on this forum about that.  Sorry...don't mean to call you out, but this is going to ruin somebody's trailer.

Iron blocks/manifolds and salt water are worse as they also get hot.  Depending on the trailer construction, flushing might not be a big deal.  My trailer is entirely C-channel so all the metal is painted.  If your trailer is tube frame then do as others have suggested and stick the garden hose in an open hole and flush it for a while.  Obviously if you can avoid putting it in salt water that is best, but not something i would let keep me from fully enjoying the boat and your time at your new house.  I bet you bought that house to relax and get away from stress, not create more.  If the trailer ever rusts out, then replace it with an aluminum one, but even they are not impervious to salt water corrosion.   

14 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I'm sorry, but that's awful advice, Hatem.  Steel trailers and saltwater absolutely do not mix.  There are multiple threads on this forum about that.  Sorry...don't mean to call you out, but this is going to ruin somebody's trailer.

Of course you meant to call me out since you didn't even offer a counter argument, only that hit and run.  But that's ok, I'm a big boy and I can deal with this crap just like I dealt with it on that other thread when those two clowns came out of nowhere slinging a bunch of personal attacks and then got all bent out of shape when I actually had the audacity to respond and didn't just cower and take their BS. 

I think your point is ridiculous beyond belief.  First of all, my comment isn't gong to "ruin somebody's trailer" lmfao!  Do you people even listen to yourselves when you spew this hogwash?  The OP just bought a summer home on the Gulf Coast an he obviously owns a boat, so I think he's most likely a big boy also and can make the right decision for himself despite any other opinion HE ASKED for.  So whatever I say isn't going to be the determining factor to what he does.  That's nothing but a load of steaming dung.

2nd of all, I don't live my life #$%##$-footing through it and worrying about these kinds of things that will determine whether I can get the best out of it or not.  What's going to happen, he'll get a bit of rust here and there in 10 years?!  lol.  Some of you lakers are so paranoid about salt water that it gets into the realm of ridiculous. 

3rdly, I would much rather have control of how my super expensive boat goes in and out of the water at the risk of a little rust that might or might not develop on the trailer in a decade depending on how well I rinse it off (since I do plan on rinsing it really well and not just leave it!) than to have some egghead who doesn't speak a lick of English lift it with a forklift and watch it take a nose dive into the concrete pavement.  Ask Drew how he loved that nice little indent on his transom that they also denied and he had to fight it out with them.  No thanks, but that's just me.

So instead of just calling me out without offering an alternative that would suit your way, I guess you should tell him to leave it at home then, right?  

On 9/15/2018 at 6:40 AM, Hatem said:

Of course you meant to call me out since you didn't even offer a counter argument, only that hit and run.  But that's ok, I'm a big boy and I can deal with this crap just like I dealt with it on that other thread when those two clowns came out of nowhere slinging a bunch of personal attacks and then got all bent out of shape when I actually had the audacity to respond and didn't just cower and take their BS. 

I think your point is ridiculous beyond belief.  First of all, my comment isn't gong to "ruin somebody's trailer" lmfao!  Do you people even listen to yourselves when you spew this hogwash?  The OP just bought a summer home on the Gulf Coast an he obviously owns a boat, so I think he's most likely a big boy also and can make the right decision for himself despite any other opinion HE ASKED for.  So whatever I say isn't going to be the determining factor to what he does.  That's nothing but a load of steaming dung.

2nd of all, I don't live my life #$%##$-footing through it and worrying about these kinds of things that will determine whether I can get the best out of it or not.  What's going to happen, he'll get a bit of rust here and there in 10 years?!  lol.  Some of you lakers are so paranoid about salt water that it gets into the realm of ridiculous. 

3rdly, I would much rather have control of how my super expensive boat goes in and out of the water at the risk of a little rust that might or might not develop on the trailer in a decade depending on how well I rinse it off (since I do plan on rinsing it really well and not just leave it!) than to have some egghead who doesn't speak a lick of English lift it with a forklift and watch it take a nose dive into the concrete pavement.  Ask Drew how he loved that nice little indent on his transom that they also denied and he had to fight it out with them.  No thanks, but that's just me.

So instead of just calling me out without offering an alternative that would suit your way, I guess you should tell him to leave it at home then, right?  

Wow.  What a paranoid and condescending response, Hatem.  You and I have always been cordial and we agree on most things.  Many people (including you and I) rely on good advise given on this forum.  When I see something that I believe is bad advice (based on MANY other threads from people who know more than you and I), I am compelled to point it out.  Wingnut already posted the best "counter argument" (or as I call it, "solution"), so no sense in repeating it. 

Calm down, buddy.  It will be okay.  Breathe....

From another boating forum:

"Years ago I had a painted Tracker trailer and a 17 ft Tracker boat. It had the square tubes and rusted inside out from saltwater. It broke in half at the boat ramp only 1 year old . I always washed it and wd-40 sprayed it."

I have nothing against saltwater...I LOVE IT!!  But that's also why I bought an aluminum trailer with all stainless hardware. 

Here's a post from yet another thread from someone whose steel trailer was just NEAR saltwater:

"In brackish water, you will be fine as long as you thoroughly rinse after each use. All out saltwater, I wouldn’t. FIL had a painted trailer stored high and dry at the camp near saltwater (tin rig was on a boat lift), it rusted out and collapsed on itself in 2 years."

21 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Wow.  What a paranoid and condescending response, Hatem.  You and I have always been cordial and we agree on most things.  Many people (including you and I) rely on good advise given on this forum.  When I see something that I believe is bad advice (based on MANY other threads from people who know more than you and I), I am compelled to point it out.

How do you expect me to react when you came out of nowhere and made it personal with me?  If you had any consideration for being cordial, you would've simply disagreed instead of calling me out claiming "awful advice" and the worst part is that I would be responsible for the trailer being ruined!?  That's the 4th worst thing I've ever read on this forum.  Then on top of that you claim you don't mean to call me out when that's exactly what you did, so add being disingenuous on top of everything else. 

You want to be cordial, be my guest and disagree with me and offer whatever evidence you have like you did in the following post, just never make it personal with me.  I highly resent that and will always draw the line every time.

If I was stuck with a painted, tubed trailer that came with the boat and had a chance to take it to Florida a couple of times a year because I just bought a house there, I would do it in a heartbeat and do everything else I suggested.  Like I said, I don't live my life having other things like that dictate how I'm going to get the best out of it.  You feel differently, fine by me.  You don't see me jumping all over you with the lamest accusations, do you?

And another thing, don't point out anything about that other member to me.  I couldn't care less about anything he has to say after that childish and disrespectful lunacy he displayed on that other thread.  And as far as your perception of paranoia, I'll take that to pm's since I don't wish to derail the OP's thread any further out of respect for him.

I'm not responding to this or the six-page profanity-laden rant you private messaged me.  Grow up or nobody is going to take you serious here.  People come to this forum to talk about their passion and find good advice.  Let's keep it that way.

9 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I'm not responding to this or the six-page profanity-laden rant you private messaged me.  Grow up or nobody is going to take you serious here.  People come to this forum to talk about their passion and find good advice.  Let's keep it that way.

Ok, thanks for the awful advice coming from someone who can dish it out but can't take it rerurn.  We'll definitely keep it that way. 

Well back to our main Question......

First question is your trailer frame tube or channel? Tube would be harder to rinse than a channel. A new trailer for a 20 year-old set-up might be a better option. But than again is it going to be worth it. 

You seem to have a pretty good handle on this boating thing, from what I've read. 

I started planning a trip to the keys a few years back. Since I've towed the Toddler to AZ why not FL. But after looking into it I decided it would be easier to rent a boat than to tow it. IMO rent one the first trip, then make a decision. A lot of local knowlage can be gained from the local rental guy, first time out.  

What FL not LOTO.........We've toyed with the LOTO thing but decided not to. We just started looking into FL near FT Myers, Venice area, where did you end up buying? Why?

:thl_speedboat:

Matt, that red tide thing is down by Ft. Meyers. :P

I agree with what you said about rentals. We rent a boat every year in Destin, mostly pontoons though. I'm used to getting to my destination in half the time at home. Still fun to get out onto the water and I have a pretty good knowledge of the waterways down there as a result. Would love to end up in the area some day but life will probably just limit us to visits.  :unsure:

Still can't believe you towed the Toddler to the desert.  Wow, what a trip.

22 hours ago, Toddler said:

Well back to our main Question......

You mean before the Fellowship of the Miserable took a nutty and stunk up the joint with its clownship when everything was going fine and smooth before that infestation?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

You mean before the Fellowship of the Miserable took a nutty and stunk up the joint with its clownship when everything was going fine and smooth before that infestation?

:haha-7383: