Sign in to follow this  
BajaDriver

Best GPS/Chartplotter

I replaced a Raymarine C70 with a Raymarine eS78 last year.  Heads and shoulders above the C70, but the interface is a little slow (touch a button and wait half a second or more before it does what you asked it to do).  I had the Simrad NSS7 demoed to me prior to my selection of the Raymarine unit and thinking back, the NSS7 would have been the better purchase.  The interface was quick and smooth.  I'm not familiar with the GO series, but based on the NSS series, I think they might have a better unit.  

I went with the Raymarine only because i was replacing a radar dish as well and wanted to keep the same bolt pattern.  I do like this unit, but the slow response gets to me.

I like Garmin.  Never had a problem and great customer service. But if I knew better at the time Furuno. There are more money, but truly state of the art and easy to use.

Well that would be Garmin for me mainly because of the features, I mean, with G2 Vision charts and auto pilot you just have to pin point on your gps, and you let it go, active captain is a cool feature too, I like being able to drive the boat with my smartwatch when on the bow or even enjoy controlling the fusion stereo.

I had a Lowrance HDS, cool product but more fishing oriented.

For pleasure boat I would say Garmin, for sailing probably Furuno, for fishing Lowrance/Navico/BG. There is only good products nowadays but some of us have preferences :).

For present moving  chart position ?    A CORRECTLY manufactured unit by any company will be fine.  All the units are that good.

Edit Those smaller Garmin units with REAL PUSHBUTTONS are excellent for people with dry skin on their finger tips.

How would my wife & I know the answer to that unavoidable problem .

Several friends have the Garmin plotter /  Position in the channel ...... units.  

The REAL difference is in the .......ACCURACY...... of your chart .

Yesterday we passed thru a couple of 30' wide ROCK sides with bottom boulders........... A person in the bow Is a MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw the electronics or depth gauges.  YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!    Nothing else.

3 hours ago, Exoset said:

For pleasure boat I would say Garmin, for sailing probably Furuno, for fishing Lowrance/Navico/BG. There is only good products nowadays but some of us have preferences :).

I would say that is pretty accurate.  I use Garmin simply because it's what the boat came with so when I upgraded, I stuck with it.  Around here I notice that the more common radars mounted on sails and all kinds of motorboats is Raymarine.

21 minutes ago, BajaDriver said:

So far i am leaning to simrad with forward scan. Not sure if I will do 7 or 9 inch screen. We are prepping for san diego to catalina. 

This almost goes without saying, but if you're panel-mounting, make sure you have the room.  Even a 7" requires more space than 7" diagonally.  You should be able to find a template online for the model you're interested in.

I went with a Garmin echomap 94sv (9" screen, great resolution for mapping, buttons, and included transducer for fishfinder that includes side looking).  It was about 900 deer; awesome unit!  I've seen them at WestMarine on various sales at different times as low as 7-800 deer.  I bought the extra chip for Chesapeake Bay, and it includes all kinds of port info features, including the navigation feature where you just pick destination and it plots the route -- awesome, imho.  it's compatible with fusion stereo, though I haven't hooked it up.  It can accommodate optional forward scan transducer (expensive transducer -- 1,000 deer?).  Only downside to this series is it can't add radar and it doesn't have wifi.  For me, these were not an issue, so for me there's no need to upgrade to more expensive units.

I'd pick 9" screen or larger -- always helpful to have it bigger in terms of seeing where you're going, context-wise.

I've used Raymarine on in-laws sailboat, and it's fine, but I didn't see the route plot feature and my research on the units found they cost a lot more than garmin.  I figure I'd rather pay less since this tech changes quickly and I'd rather replace it sooner rather than pay so much that I feel obliged to keep using it 8 yrs from now.

Touch screens might be fine, but I prefer buttons.  In the salt water, touching the screen all the  time would seem to leave a lot of annoying fingerprints on the screen that I'm trying to read.  I often need to change map view while in waves, so for me a button is easier to find by feel, while my attention/eyes are on the water ahead.   Plus, touchscreen menu takes up screen space along the bottom or side.

1 hour ago, 270owner said:

I went with a Garmin echomap 94sv (9" screen, great resolution for mapping, buttons, and included transducer for fishfinder that includes side looking).  It was about 900 deer; awesome unit!  I've seen them at WestMarine on various sales at different times as low as 7-800 deer.  I bought the extra chip for Chesapeake Bay, and it includes all kinds of port info features, including the navigation feature where you just pick destination and it plots the route -- awesome, imho.  it's compatible with fusion stereo, though I haven't hooked it up.  It can accommodate optional forward scan transducer (expensive transducer -- 1,000 deer?).  Only downside to this series is it can't add radar and it doesn't have wifi.  For me, these were not an issue, so for me there's no need to upgrade to more expensive units.

I'd pick 9" screen or larger -- always helpful to have it bigger in terms of seeing where you're going, context-wise.

I've used Raymarine on in-laws sailboat, and it's fine, but I didn't see the route plot feature and my research on the units found they cost a lot more than garmin.  I figure I'd rather pay less since this tech changes quickly and I'd rather replace it sooner rather than pay so much that I feel obliged to keep using it 8 yrs from now.

Touch screens might be fine, but I prefer buttons.  In the salt water, touching the screen all the  time would seem to leave a lot of annoying fingerprints on the screen that I'm trying to read.  I often need to change map view while in waves, so for me a button is easier to find by feel, while my attention/eyes are on the water ahead.   Plus, touchscreen menu takes up screen space along the bottom or side.

Looks like a very nice unit!! Just beware that it does not support radar. 

21 hours ago, Iggy said:

Looks like a very nice unit!! Just beware that it does not support radar. 

You know he's quite aware of that if you actually read his post that you quoted.  Or even just the last two sentences of his 1st paragraph?

23 hours ago, 270owner said:

Only downside to this series is it can't add radar and it doesn't have wifi.  For me, these were not an issue, so for me there's no need to upgrade to more expensive units.

Hello.

2 hours ago, cigarzfan said:

Why does average boater need radar?

Have you ever been caught in the fog? I know I have. Left the slip and it was a clear day came back that day in the fog. Or a week later from being on vacation. Not just once, but it happens at least twice a year. 

Bingo Iggy

I lost direction completely in a 500' wide Delaware River near my house. Funny  I totally lost the shore lines & drifted 1/4 mile before I wised up & re anchored.

Was anchored in 3 feet of rock ledges during DENSE FOG. I hear twin engines idling closer & voices......  " Are you sure? " 1 voice ask the other. I speak in a normal voice.

" I know I am anchored in 3 ' of rocks in front of you. " 

REVERSE REVERSE.

17 hours ago, cigarzfan said:

Why does average boater need radar?

Besides getting stuck in a surprise, rolling fog, if you want to boat at nighttime, it's an excellent feature to have.  Helps you see a lot on the screen that you can't otherwise see by eye, especially other boats and other hazards that it can pick up that might not show up on the GPS.  Does the average boater go out at night?  Probably not, but it makes for wicked fun partying with friends and especially fishing!