Suzy-Q

Will turn over but won’t start

7 minutes ago, Suzy-Q said:

I guess we can close this thread now. The boat needs a new engine. It can’t be rebuilt. We just got this boat in April and it’s heartbreaking because we’ve waited years to get it. Now we will have to save money over the winter to replace the engine. I would like to sincerely thank each of you for taking the time out to help us. 

Regards, Susan 

So sorry about that, but can't you file an insurance claim?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

So sorry about that, but can't you file an insurance claim?

I'm hoping so. I'm just worried they will find a way to not cover it. I guess it is all in the wording. I'm certainly in panic mode. 

So sorry. Not trying to stir things up for y’all, but what changed since “turns over but won’t start”? In addition to an insurance claim, the worse that can be said is no after all, perhaps a second opinion from a different mechanic (Volvo Penta authorized of course)? The $2,600 quote doesn’t seem right. 

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

So sorry. Not trying to stir things up for y’all, but what changed since “turns over but won’t start”? In addition to an insurance claim, the worse that can be said is no after all, perhaps a second opinion from a different mechanic (Volvo Penta authorized of course)? The $2,600 quote doesn’t seem right. 

Curt, no worries at all. I'm not really sure why it stopped turning over. Maybe from trying to start it again once the batteries were charged up? I'll have to search around for Volvo mechanics. They only charged us $900, luckily. 

1 hour ago, Suzy-Q said:

I'm hoping so. I'm just worried they will find a way to not cover it. I guess it is all in the wording. I'm certainly in panic mode. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

This is what happened, right?

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, Suzy-Q said:

Ran aground and sucked up sand.

Sounds like an accident to me and exactly what insurance is for.  Running aground should be in any basic, boating insurance policy.  Once the agent or surveyor comes out to look at it, it should be a done deal.  You can take a look at your policy and see if they list anything of the sort as not covered, but I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

This is what happened, right?

Sounds like an accident to me and exactly what insurance is for.  Running aground should be in any basic, boating insurance policy.  Once the agent or surveyor comes out to look at it, it should be a done deal.  You can take a look at your policy and see if they list anything of the sort as not covered, but I doubt it.

That's correct. Called SeaTow to bring us in.

1 hour ago, Suzy-Q said:

I was wondering how sand got into the manifold. They said the exhaust manifold gasket broke. Cause warped cylinder heads and engine block. 

Sand was pulled into the system by the seawater pump when beached. Likely with the multiple starts, overheats and shutdowns, it was drawn further into the system where it ultimately clogged the manifolds. Water that is drawn in exits out the exhaust - basically, what comes in must go out. It’s possible flushing moved it deeper into the system and/or caused the hydro lock. It’s this step insurance may focus on, to pin the failure on you. Be factual, aware and cautious. But, you wouldn’t be flushing if not for the original sand, overheat and shutdown. At any rate, overheating caused the warped heads, block and failed gasket.

18 hours ago, Curt said:

Sand was pulled into the system by the seawater pump when beached. Likely with the multiple starts, overheats and shutdowns, it was drawn further into the system where it ultimately clogged the manifolds. Water that is drawn in exits out the exhaust - basically, what comes in must go out. It’s possible flushing moved it deeper into the system and/or caused the hydro lock. It’s this step insurance may focus on, to pin the failure on you. Be factual, aware and cautious. But, you wouldn’t be flushing if not for the original sand, overheat and shutdown. At any rate, overheating caused the warped heads, block and failed gasket.

Thank you so much. These are the things I need to be aware of before making the claim.

I did not read every single word in the past posting. But, you did replace the impeller. The impeller housing will need to be replaced to. I am sure that the sand has scored it and even with a new impeller, it may still over heat.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, Suzy-Q said:

Curious if you have any updates to share? 

22 hours ago, Hatem said:

Curious if you have any updates to share? 

We are still waiting to hear. I will definitively let you know.