Pogo Junior

Hours Meter

Hello everyone,

I just got a 04 Chap 330 and one of its engine hr meters on the dash panel stopped working. I think it is easy to buy a replacement but my worry is that the new meter will start at zero. Is there a way to adjust it to the actual hrs of the engine?

Thanks.

Not to my knowledge but the actual hours are stored in the ECM so it's not a big deal. I'd just leave it alone and use the Ohms meter for the other engine as a baseline. Unless you run on one engine a lot.  

Maybe the ECM will post the correct hours ? Dealer might have a code if needed. To do that ?

Check it out

Usually hour meters on the dash are setup so that they count hours when the ignition is on, whether the engine is running or not. The real hours are stored in the ECM, but you need a diagnostic tool to read that.

There are basically 2 types of hour meters.

Simple type that counts the hours 12 vdc is applied to the on position of the key switch.  NORMAL. hour meter

Other type is a hour meter that only shows hours the engine is above a MINIMUM rpms. Very rare in normal vehicles.

A normal hour meter could read 600 hours in 24 days on a battery. Set a smart phone alarm for 24 days Done !  :)

Get the current actual hours from the ECU memory as Phil said, and hook up your new hour meter to a 12 VDC power source until the hours run up to your desired value. Just don't forget to take it off the battery when it's time. Ha...  W

We learned to buy ONLY the meters that can be reset to zero anytime it was necessary............... A definite HA HA was always a possibility  way back in time.

This is the 2nd time we are doing this meter.   :)

Why do i keep calling it an Ohms meter???   I mean Hobbs Meter. I'm a moron...  :)

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Pogo Junior said:

I just got a 04 Chap 330 and one of its engine hr meters on the dash panel stopped working. I think it is easy to buy a replacement but my worry is that the new meter will start at zero. Is there a way to adjust it to the actual hrs of the engine?

How to advance hours depends on the gauge.  Unlike current generation electronics in which hours are flashed from the ECM to the gauge, and the gauge only displays what the ECM tells it to, a 2004 is either triggered by the ignition in the on position or a separate signal in conjunction with the ignition in the on position.  Unfortunately, it's unlikely hours are triggered by the ignition in the on position solely.  If possible, a picture of the gauge (front, back, both sides of the wiring harness plug) and gauge part number might allow the creation of a practical work around. 

Thanks for all the info. The boat is still in a yard for bottom painting and will give more details about the gauge when I get hold of it.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:39 AM, Curt said:

How to advance hours depends on the gauge.  Unlike current generation electronics in which hours are flashed from the ECM to the gauge, and the gauge only displays what the ECM tells it to, a 2004 is either triggered by the ignition in the on position or a separate signal in conjunction with the ignition in the on position.  Unfortunately, it's unlikely hours are triggered by the ignition in the on position solely.  If possible, a picture of the gauge (front, back, both sides of the wiring harness plug) and gauge part number might allow the creation of a practical work around.