CaptainJim

Need a Prop for my 204 ssi

I recently purchased a 204 SSI, Apha One, 260hp. I need to replace the prop, the one on it is wrong, the engine goes to the rev limiter and it's only hitting 45mph. Since its a fairly heavy runabout I was leaning toward the Mirage Plus. Is there anyone here that has some experience?

Mirage Plus and spend the extra to have it labbed. I have a bunch of experience in props for my Baja and others. BBLADES is a great place to start with getting the right advice on props. Not here. Not many people here know much about getting 100% out of your boat, or power package. A perfect tune and correct blade will literally turn your night into day. With more hole shot mid range, top end and less vibration. It is worth every penny.......I am currently having a set of Volvo Penta F5 Blades labbed for 350.00

here are some places to get advice and a great deal on props

https://bblades.com/

http://www.cuttingedgepropellers.com/

I promise you, get their advice first then have them perfect a prop for you. You will never look back

13 hours ago, CaptainJim said:

I recently purchased a 204 SSI, Apha One, 260hp. I need to replace the prop, the one on it is wrong, the engine goes to the rev limiter and it's only hitting 45mph. Since its a fairly heavy runabout I was leaning toward the Mirage Plus. Is there anyone here that has some experience?

How much more do you think you can get out of it, 50mph?

12 hours ago, BajaDriver said:

Mirage Plus and spend the extra to have it labbed. I have a bunch of experience in props for my Baja and others. BBLADES is a great place to start with getting the right advice on props. Not here. Not many people here know much about getting 100% out of your boat, or power package. A perfect tune and correct blade will literally turn your night into day. With more hole shot mid range, top end and less vibration. It is worth every penny.......I am currently having a set of Volvo Penta F5 Blades labbed for 350.00

here are some places to get advice and a great deal on props

https://bblades.com/

http://www.cuttingedgepropellers.com/

I promise you, get their advice first then have them perfect a prop for you. You will never look back

So what exactly is the "labbing" process on a pair of F5 duoprop that are brand new and already perfectly balanced?  Is there really that much of a noticeable difference?

perfectly balanced, each blade is matched, cup is added, edges are cut perfectly and a transition spot is perfected from cutting to throwing. 

I have yet to see any factory blade that is perfectly balanced. Drastically reduce prop slip too

Yes there is a huge difference from a factory blade to a labbed prop. Very noticeable in every respect.

As for speed he should easily pick up better hole shot midrange and gain 2-5mph on top end depending on the entire package. If he is banging on the rev limiter he should be able to push more pitch on the top end and gain all the rest. 

If I did not see it on my own in my baja and other go fast boats, i wouldnt preach it. But i have seen and do see it   

Hello Hatem, I read an article in a boating magazines when the boat first came out, they got it up to 53.4mph with the stock aluminum 14 3/4 * 21p prop. I'm assuming  with the right stainless prop I should get close to that. In the last 10 years newer design prop's have hit the market like the Enertia, but with a price tag of over $500 I would like to know if it's worth it. Ebay has several Mirage Plus prop's for under $200

53 minutes ago, CaptainJim said:

Hello Hatem, I read an article in a boating magazines when the boat first came out, they got it up to 53.4mph with the stock aluminum 14 3/4 * 21p prop. I'm assuming  with the right stainless prop I should get close to that. In the last 10 years newer design prop's have hit the market like the Enertia, but with a price tag of over $500 I would like to know if it's worth it. Ebay has several Mirage Plus prop's for under $200

Most prop shops have a program where you can borrow them to test them out. When you find the one that get the best performance they will lab it. 

I have a 204ssi, I tried several different prop pitches, settled with a Solas 4 blade aluminum 19p, it's perfect, great holeshot and it tops out at around 50mph.

The prop is only $130

18 hours ago, BajaDriver said:

perfectly balanced, each blade is matched, cup is added, edges are cut perfectly and a transition spot is perfected from cutting to throwing. 

I have yet to see any factory blade that is perfectly balanced. Drastically reduce prop slip too

Yes there is a huge difference from a factory blade to a labbed prop. Very noticeable in every respect.

As for speed he should easily pick up better hole shot midrange and gain 2-5mph on top end depending on the entire package. If he is banging on the rev limiter he should be able to push more pitch on the top end and gain all the rest. 

If I did not see it on my own in my baja and other go fast boats, i wouldnt preach it. But i have seen and do see it   

Good to know.  I wasn't doubting you or the whole process, BTW.  Just trying to learn more about it.

13 hours ago, CaptainJim said:

That's pretty good if you can achieve those results for $200!  A pair of F5 SS duoprops to go with my outdrive is roughly $1,200!  Crazy.  I had opened a thread on how props are made and there was a pretty neat video posted and a great discussion on the process and materials and different options etc.  Something that doesn't happen very often on this forum lol.  Let us know how you make out.

Here's some interesting questions: are duoprops better than single props in any way?  Are you getting more push with a set of counter-rotating blades or is it just better efficiency?  And can you easily change the shaft from a single to a duo or would you have to change gears further up into the outdrive/new lower unit?  Or change from a duo to a single, even?  :scratchchin:

I adore the Volvo duo prop, I am not sure why it doesnt power fast boats, my bet is strength. 

Duo props are more efficient, yes they are better, they also allow better control of the boat, more directional control of the boat. 

It has a better holeshot and midrange than any other single prop that i know of. Top end should be on par with any other single prop

I have never heard of anyone converting unless they change out the entire lower unit or drive system. 

I'm not sure about VP,  but I think you can just change the lower part of the outdrive on a Merc Bravo to go from a single to a dual prop or vice versa. Sometimes some gearing changes are needed. An Alpha is an Alpha is an Alpha. Always single, well unless you do twins.  :D

11 hours ago, BajaDriver said:

I adore the Volvo duo prop, I am not sure why it doesnt power fast boats, my bet is strength. 

Actually, it's not strength and more a matter of heritage and market focus.  Mercury has long, long built performance engines and outdrives for the true "go-fast" crowd.  In addition, they've collaborated with General Motors and even supplied the engine for the Corvette at various times.  Speed is in their blood, or so to say, and this knowledge, technology and experience trickle down into the more "tempered" market segments.  On the other hand, Volvo Penta is more focused on the commercial, leisure and recreational markets where reliability and longevity (a.k.a. durability) are valued over speed.  While great engines and outdrives, the "go-fast" crowd is not the target market.  (P.S.  I'm not implying Mercury engines and outdrives are not reliable or durable, they are in both respects, just different.)       

15 hours ago, Hatem said:

And can you easily change the shaft from a single to a duo or would you have to change gears further up into the outdrive/new lower unit?

With enough time and money, it can be done but takes more than the shafts.  Easy, no.  Impossible, no.  Economical, no.  Wise, not really, but it depends on your objectives and horsepower (there are more parasitic losses). 

16 hours ago, Curt said:

Actually, it's not strength and more a matter of heritage and market focus.  Mercury has long, long built performance engines and outdrives for the true "go-fast" crowd.  In addition, they've collaborated with General Motors and even supplied the engine for the Corvette at various times.  Speed is in their blood, or so to say, and this knowledge, technology and experience trickle down into the more "tempered" market segments.  On the other hand, Volvo Penta is more focused on the commercial, leisure and recreational markets where reliability and longevity (a.k.a. durability) are valued over speed.  While great engines and outdrives, the "go-fast" crowd is not the target market.  (P.S.  I'm not implying Mercury engines and outdrives are not reliable or durable, they are in both respects, just different.)       

With enough time and money, it can be done but takes more than the shafts.  Easy, no.  Impossible, no.  Economical, no.  Wise, not really, but it depends on your objectives and horsepower (there are more parasitic losses). 

I agree with you Curt, if you grew up in the 60's and 70's Mercury had the cool looking outboards that where built for speed, if you wanted to go fishing you got a Johnson or Evinrude

18 hours ago, Curt said:

Probably not much benefit going from a duo to a single, maybe there is in some odd reason for speed or something like that but I would think the more desirable upgrade would be from a single to a dual prop and short of replacing the entire lower unit, if it is accessible to get to the lower area, swapping the single to a counter-rotating shaft looks a relatively quick fit.  Unless the rest of the shafts and gears need upgrading to accommodate the additional torque or whatever else a counter rotating shaft would need to operate correctly, then that's a different story.  But looking at the average duoprop shafts and gears, it's not much different than a single prop with the exception of that final shaft.

DF350-drive-and-shift.jpg

If you go to Off Shore Only, OSO, those speed maniacs have it down to a science and there are several fast boat engineers on there that will describe in hydrodynamic terms why the duoprops dont work well with speed boats. It seems to be around 60MPH it take even more HP to overcome to push the duo props faster moreso than the singe prop. They agree they are strong but slinging two blades is harder for the amount of return they give you at those speeds. They consider duo props workhorses but not speed demons. 

I love my duo prop and my Bravo 1 in my Baja. 

SOme other factors play a part too. My baja runs a solid hub, not sure if the DP does. SPeed parts are all over the place for Merc, not VP too. I have spun a rubber hub on my Baja. 

On 9/11/2018 at 4:41 PM, chap204 said:

I have a 204ssi, I tried several different prop pitches, settled with a Solas 4 blade aluminum 19p, it's perfect, great holeshot and it tops out at around 50mph.

The prop is only $130

I had this same boat 2004 204 SSI - tried several props from the prop shop and settled on the Solas 4 blade stainless steel.  Great all around prop.  Probably not the best for more top end - but anything above 50 in that boat doesn't feel all that safe to me.

7 hours ago, tolson37 said:

I had this same boat 2004 204 SSI - tried several props from the prop shop and settled on the Solas 4 blade stainless steel.  Great all around prop.  Probably not the best for more top end - but anything above 50 in that boat doesn't feel all that safe to me.

Hi Tolson, thanks for the post,  I currently have a 19p high 5 on the boat, not that pleased with it. I recently purchased a 21p Mirage plus but haven't got it yet