watson524

Pumpout fitting

Hi there,

We have very limited (i.e. 2) pumpout options on our lake. One happens to be at our dealer so that's where we go. Unfortunately, we have to "rig" things to get it to work. They have 2 nozzles, and neither really work. One is too big to fit (the 1 1/2" I assume) and the smaller one - 1 1/4"? - goes in and out but the threads aren't right. Both times this summer if you wrap a rag around it, it's enough to make a seal but it's no idea.

I was talking to the dealer this week and he said they only have the 2 options and we looked through the catalog together. Sure enough, part 310343502 and 310343503. Those are the 1 1/2" and 1 1/14" with 11.5tpi.

Online I happened to find 310343504 which is 1 1/4" but 16tpi. Is it possible that'd be the one I need? NPT threads for 1 1/4" standard is 11.5tpi so I don't know what that 16tpi thing is but.... When the 1 1/4" fitting they have goes in, it's like the OD is slightly too narrow or maybe the threads aren't "high" enough if that makes sense.

I was thinking if we thought the 1 1/4" 16tpi was right, I'd just buy it and keep it on the boat. 

I had shot a note to NJ Chap Dealer (Cecil) to see if they had any insight but didn't hear back yet. Our dealer isn't having issues with other boats.

I know we have to hold the toilet open since there's no vent on the tank, just the vacuum pump in order to suck it out but it seems like it should work better. Since we've only got a few weeks before winterizing, I want to make sure we have it thoroughly pumped out.

Thanks in advance!

I go to Wilsonville.  They have a super strong pump.  The fitting is just a rubber tapered fitting that he jams into the hole.  It seals and evacuates my tank in 2 minutes.

I might have to try it. Is your deck plate threaded like ours or doesn't that matter? What does he charge? Still may be worth it to get the right fitting depending on cost. Ours is $35 / pump out

If the marina has the "rubber funnel", size and threads don't matter.  Push it in, hold it, hit the vacuum and it'll be empty in a minute or two. 

mine is threaded for the cap.  But you don't need any special fitting.  No need to thread anything in because most places have the tapered rubber fitting.  Wilsonville charges $25

Ok then I'm going to go to Wilsonville. Sounds easier and $10 cheaper. I really wish more on the lake did it.

Did I hear right that Walt's has to be out this weekend??? We'll be out a bit early this year due to stuff going on around Columbus day but like the Thursday or Friday before.

14 minutes ago, watson524 said:

Ok then I'm going to go to Wilsonville. Sounds easier and $10 cheaper. I really wish more on the lake did it.

Did I hear right that Walt's has to be out this weekend??? We'll be out a bit early this year due to stuff going on around Columbus day but like the Thursday or Friday before.

yes!!  Walt is getting older & more crotchety every year!  It's going to be a nice wknd!  I may have to trailer if it stays warm into Oct.

I definitely would trailer it! Lake is dropping fast tho but I figure we'll get out a few more times. I'm going to let the dealer winterize the engine and OD just because it's brand new and I haven't had time to do enough research that would make me comfortable but I'll do the water system (going to post my plan on that actually just to make sure I'm on the right track).

One thing I really like is now with the new one, even if we have to trailer at the end, I can just use the quick drain on the motor before the full winterizing. 

Pump out is free on my lake. Unless you call the barge to come to your slip and pump it for you. Then it's expensive ($85.00 I think but not sure since I've never used them). I have a threaded adapter that hooks up to the pumps banjo fitting on the hose. 

Sounds like you need the adapter with 1.5in threads.  I purchased a standard one (not sealand) and wrapped some Teflon tape on the threads.  16tpi sounds like too fine of thread pitch.  I'd go with 11.5tpi.

Search "Banjo 150F Polypropylene Cam & Groove Fitting, 1-1/2" Male Adapter x NPT Male" on Amazon.  That is the size that fits my boat and looks to be the same one I bought.  Can't remember exactly where I got it online, sorry.  Hope this helps.

You would think this would be a standard size on our boat so I'll keep your specs in mind. I found plenty of the 1.5" npt with the 11.5 tpi for around $30 online 

2 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Tractor supply has a great assortment of poly NPTM x OPW cam-lock style.

Good to know. And you won't get whacked 30 for a "marine" fitting. Maybe it was just the deck hand that didn't know how to screw the thing in and I should just go do it myself 

3 minutes ago, watson524 said:

Good to know. And you won't get whacked 30 for a "marine" fitting. Maybe it was just the deck hand that didn't know how to screw the thing in and I should just go do it myself 

Not sure on a 2018, but every one I've seen has been 1-1/2" NPTF. They use a different thread for the fuel fill even though they look about the same. I bougnt a 90 degree NPTM x 1-1/2" Kamlock.  W

6 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Not sure on a 2018, but every one I've seen has been 1-1/2" NPTF. They use a different thread for the fuel fill even though they look about the same. I bougnt a 90 degree NPTM x 1-1/2" Kamlock.  W

Well now it really gets me to think that it was a user error. Since it's after the peak season, I'm going to see if they'll let me try it myself. Before the deck people said they had to do it.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, Phillbo said:

Pump out is free on my lake. Unless you call the barge to come to your slip and pump it for you. Then it's expensive ($85.00 I think but not sure since I've never used them). I have a threaded adapter that hooks up to the pumps banjo fitting on the hose. 

You mean it's free after you've paid the $105 yearly Park Entry Fee, right??

1 hour ago, JPFunk said:

You mean it's free after you've paid the $105 yearly Park Entry Fee, right??

I don't remember it being that expensive. I think I only paid $55.00. 

We were over at the dealer's pump out today and tried the 1 1/2" 11.5tpi fitting they had. It screwed in sort of but then you can pull it straight out with little force at all. I am starting to strongly suspect from looking at it that the threads are just worn. They don't look crisp and pointy if you know what I mean. But it doesn't explain why my friend's Sea Ray pumps out just find there and it fits in the way it should.

BUT, I looked at the deck plate and it's an Attwood part number 99202 so now I have to look at that up and see if I can figure out what SHOULD go in there.