Sign in to follow this  
lamxuyen1234

Pink Mold on stitching seams

I have a 2017 Chaparral H2O 19 Deluxe and the cushions have pink stains in the stitching.  How do I get these stains out?  Can't use bleach, as that will degrade the thread.  Any advise would be welcome.

This pink crap is getting to be a common problem with these new Chaparrals.   WTF are they using that is causing all this pinkage?  @watson524 opened a thread where she showed pink shhttufff rolling down off the seat and behind them etc..  So this is definitely something that Chaparral is using on either its vinyl, or the backing on the cushions or something since it seems to be happening to several people these days. 

Best thing I would do is call the dealer you bought it from and ask the service department what is going on.  I'm sure they've heard of this problem by now and check your warranty for sure.  If it doesn't come off, they should take care of it for you since this certainly seems to be a factory-related issue.

I really don't think it's the vinyl tho, since it happened on my wet bar side and there was no vinyl there at all. I think mine is likely a different issue since pinking on cushions and seams has been noted a lot before (I think it's something in the foam itself if I recall). 

We were on the boat the other day and tho water had intruded, I didn't see pink so I'm guessing whatever "it" is, is wearing off. I do need to post another thread about WHERE the water is coming in.....

Water soaked material from floods anywhere in the world.  The price of buying from the cheapest supplier. 

Or boats / seats left out doors uncovered. Factory or dealer.    Faster faster cheaper cheaper.

We are past good construction conditions.

My seats get some pink if stored away with too much moisture.  When this happens, I leave the pink parts exposed to the hot sun and it clears up in about a day.

10 hours ago, Hatem said:

WTF are they using that is causing all this pinkage? 

Rather, what isn't being used...

yet another H2O and 'pinking upholstery' . . . been at least six of these posted on this forum by my rough WAG since the advent of the model line.

On another note, is anyone else bored with runabout interiors these days?

23 hours ago, watson524 said:

We were on the boat the other day and tho water had intruded, I didn't see pink so I'm guessing whatever "it" is, is wearing off.

Thank goodness for that.  I still think you had something that was just running when it got wet from the rain.  What color is your cover?  Does it have a red tag anywhere on it, or red stitching or something?  A mystery like that is a bit frustrating.  And that stuff almost looked like someone spilled a bottle of pink antifreeze.  Almost the exact color.  More perplexing that it was also on the wetbar side, you're right.  That kinda eliminates the cushions/vinyl like you said.  Then you would think it's from the cover somehow.

14 hours ago, Curt said:

Rather, what isn't being used...

What do you mean?  Have you gotten any of this pink on that beauty of yours?  It seems relegate mostly to the 2017/18 models and specifically the H20s with an exception here and there.

42 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Thank goodness for that.  I still think you had something that was just running when it got wet from the rain.  What color is your cover?  Does it have a red tag anywhere on it, or red stitching or something?  A mystery like that is a bit frustrating.  And that stuff almost looked like someone spilled a bottle of pink antifreeze.  Almost the exact color.  More perplexing that it was also on the wetbar side, you're right.  That kinda eliminates the cushions/vinyl like you said.  Then you would think it's from the cover somehow.

Nope, it's a blue cover. No red anywhere on the boat (not a fan of red). I don't think it's a mystery anymore tho, I think a few people answered it with the pink mold response. It did look like exactly what I had seen in showers before.

39 minutes ago, Hatem said:

What do you mean?

To avoid pinking (on the plastic, foam, the backing, the stitching), which is a strain of mold, an anti-fungal/anti-microbial is added when manufactured.  The less expensive way to bring this ingredient into the material is to combine it with an epoxidized soybean oil.  The problem is that the expoxidized soybean oil is "food" for mold.  So, to combat common pinking, the anti-fungal/anti-microbial is combined with "food" for what's trying to be avoided.  Some sources don't include an anti-fungal/anti-microbial; some have inconsistent manufacturing processes so there is variation lot by lot; some use a more expensive, but more effective way to create a fungal and mold free product; etc.  Quality almost always costs more.  Some totally accept and pay for it.  Some are not, and have problems from time to time.  Choices...  I'm sure you see it in your business.  That picture you posted of that sump-box at the bottom of those stairs says a lot.  That's great work, is great quality and will perform effectively for a long, long time.  I'm sure some you've showed that system to view it as unnecessary effort and cost.  Often, not always, these are the folks that then gripe when water washes in.  Quality almost always costs more.  The problem with pinking, which is 100% avoidable, is no owner regardless of price point wants it.  But, when material choices are made to achieve certain price points, the outcome becomes a best and inconsistent roll of the dice.  To me, IMHO, this means the specifier in this case has to "stand above" and make sure the material choice supports no pinking regardless.     

(P.S. The OP posted about pinking on stitching.  Watson posed about pink drainage/accumulation - it sure does look like pink antifreeze - great observation.  Interesting for sure, but different from the OP here.) 

(P.S.S. No pinking on our boat.)

Plastic thread does not normally mold. Cotton thread WILL SUPPORT molds. Been there.

Both of my 2002 chaps have had a rain on the stitching. Never pink mold.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, watson524 said:

Nope, it's a blue cover. No red anywhere on the boat (not a fan of red). I don't think it's a mystery anymore tho, I think a few people answered it with the pink mold response. It did look like exactly what I had seen in showers before.

Ah, I didn't know that you had figured it out, my bad.  That's a good thing, then, but weird how it seems to be coming from around the base of the tower, on both sides.  So like you said, the cover wrapping around the tower base and water accumulation in those two specific areas lead to this it seems.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, Curt said:

To avoid pinking (on the plastic, foam, the backing, the stitching), which is a strain of mold, an anti-fungal/anti-microbial is added when manufactured.  The less expensive way to bring this ingredient into the material is to combine it with an epoxidized soybean oil.  The problem is that the expoxidized soybean oil is "food" for mold.  So, to combat common pinking, the anti-fungal/anti-microbial is combined with "food" for what's trying to be avoided.  Some sources don't include an anti-fungal/anti-microbial; some have inconsistent manufacturing processes so there is variation lot by lot; some use a more expensive, but more effective way to create a fungal and mold free product; etc.

Very interesting stuff.  Not sure what Chaparral has done and not done in between the models preceding these 2017 and on ones, but it definitely seems to be much more prevalent in those than our earlier ones.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, Curt said:

(P.S. The OP posted about pinking on stitching.  Watson posed about pink drainage/accumulation - it sure does look like pink antifreeze - great observation.  Interesting for sure, but different from the OP here.) 

I realize they're two different things happening, but from the sound of all of this, we're still talking about mold that turns pink, which interestingly enough, throughout the 30 years of building countless houses and additions and renovations of all sorts and being back to many of them for one reason or the other, I have never, ever, seen mold turn pink.  Most of it is black, sometimes dark grey or even a shade of gunky green.  But never pink.  Not even on the water with boats.  That might be a side effect of boating in salt water or maybe that's just the way it is up this way in the Northeast?  Or maybe it's a freshwater vs salt water. 

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Ah, I didn't know that you had figured it out, my bad.  That's a good thing, then, but weird how it seems to be coming from around the base of the tower, on both sides.  So like you said, the cover wrapping around the tower base and water accumulation in those two specific areas lead to this it seems.

Fresh water only boater here but I've also see pink in showers off well water so.... I don't think it's BECAUSE of the tower, I think it's just that's where the water comes in because sealing off a cover from there is always tough