MonkeySeaII

Use caution with products containing bleach

Learned some lessons this season.  1st one was with StarBrite black streak remover.  It does a great job removing the black streaks from the boat but it also bleaches out the gelcoat.  Meaning you can see exactly where it was sprayed and where it dripped down the boat.  2nd lesson was using Mold Armor to remove the green mold from in and around the rubrail.  I now have bleached out drips going down the side of the boat on the black gelcoat!  I tried compounding it with no success.  Hoping the sun will fade the stains away!!

I only use a automobile  superfine rubbing compound on colored fiberglass surfaces........ I screwed up enough old boat surfaces as a helping kid.

I Like Bar Keepers Friend. It has Oxalic acid in it  .  Warns about using it VERY GENTLY & in same direction as brushed finish marks.   Bleach is O K on white surface..............IF  ..........Poured on a white clean cloth and squeezed almost dry to prevent any drips or runs.

Any chemical I apply is always done in a none runny way.  The rinse off is done WITH ANOTHER CLEAN WHITE CLOTH to prevent any residue causing streaks as it dries.

I do cleaning stains of surfaces while thinking of my first best date. I find surface cleaning that terrible to do. I wear gloves & eye glasses.  I do 2 light scrubs with weaker solutions just to reduce the drip & stain risk.

You MUST BE MENTALLY geared up to do chemical cleaning. I do not stop for ANY REASON once I start.  Causes skips.

As a side note about colored upholstery surfaces.

My boats get plenty of spider crap stains. They are hard to remove after a day or 2 of drying. I use small Q Tips & the rubber  eraser on pencils. A TINY bit of fantastic or 409. 

After a cloth wet with just water sits on it long enough to get the crusty stuff off.

I Use the cleaner after the water cleaning of the poop. I do the 409 very gently on each stain. The stain stubbornness is controlled by what the spider is eating. Truth.  Different insects make different chemical stains.

This is a tedious part of boating.  But I DO NOT TRUST any place to do it. Never know what Mc Donalds kid is going to learn on your boat.

I qualified 65 years ago as a Mc Donalds kid on some peoples boats.

Oxidizers....oxidize.  Unfortunately they are generally pretty great at removing slime amd mold.  Calcium Hypochloride, Potassium Hypochlorite, Sodium Hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide, peracid, dichlor...all commonly used oxidizers.  

biggest error people make is using it too concentrated and or too long contact time. You only need enough to have free hypochlorous acid which gets quickly consumed by organics...also called “free chlorine”.

Dont use straight bleach ever....dilute it...a lot.  If you can smell it, you likely have enough.  What you are smelling is chloro-amine...make sure you can smell that and not straight bleach.  It has a little different odor.

hypochlorite is very reactive and not stable.  It will try to oxidize anything it touches until it is consumed.

18 minutes ago, WaterDR said:

Oxidizers....oxidize.  Unfortunately they are generally pretty great at removing slime amd mold.  Calcium Hypochloride, Potassium Hypochlorite, Sodium Hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide, peracid, dichlor...all commonly used oxidizers.  

biggest error people make is using it too concentrated and or too long contact time. You only need enough to have free hypochlorous acid which gets quickly consumed by organics...also called “free chlorine”.

Dont use straight bleach ever....dilute it...a lot.  If you can smell it, you likely have enough.  What you are smelling is chloro-amine...make sure you can smell that and not straight bleach.  It has a little different odor.

hypochlorite is very reactive and not stable.  It will try to oxidize anything it touches until it is consumed.

that''s good input.  Yes, makes sense, the bleach in the "Mold Armor" oxidized the gelcoat.  I hit it with 2 levels of compound, polish & wax and it barely shows now.