delaswim

JBL head unit upgrade: update

I just ordered the JLAudio m650 with sport grills. Will see what I need to do to mount this week. 

Regarding the head unit - I have a Clarion m508 with 2 rectangle remotes going in to replace the existing JBL m16 I had. But that is feeding an Exile Audio Javelin Amp with 428w RMS @4ohm to the 4 JL Audio speakers I mentioned before and 505w RMS @4ohm to the subwoofer. Then there is a second exileaudio Xm30.2 amp driving 614w RMS @4ohm to the 4 Samson 9” tower speakers. 

Running a second battery (maybe a 3rd) and using 0AWG cable to the locker under the radio to a 0-to-4AWG PDB to power the two amps and the radio. Using the factory stereo power line to trip the relay so I can use the same PDB on the radio while not having to run new line all the way to the switch on the other side of the boat. This way I can isolate the boat electronics on one battery from the deep cycles for the audio. 

Will post pictures once installed. 

Oh and the M508 has iPhone in (charging, audio with iPhone control from remotes, and hands free), line in audio jacks front and rear, BT 4.1, XM radio, usb input for audio files, front/rear/tower/sub 8w out RCA jacks and dual remotes that will fit in the rectangle remote spots in my 220SSI.

Sounds like a project.  Post pictures of your setup when you finish.  Here's what I've bought to replace my rear speakers that broke.  JBL MS-6520

JBL Speaker.PNG

I finished installing the new JBL speakers I bought.  On the new speakers, the diagonal holes lined up, so I still had to drill two new holes to complete the mount.  Also, on the stock speakers the mounting screws were only .75" long and had tapered heads.  I purchased 1.25" pan head screws.  I've never been so happy to sit in my boat in my shop with the tunes cranked up.  It sounds great!

Cool. Now if those beeps start again, just crank up the tunes to drown them out.  :D

Pictures during install, including new tower, new head unit, dual zone volume control, new remotes in factory locations, quad tower speakers and quad replacement JL M650CCX (thin face mounting ring), and dual Exile Audio amps (Javelin and X30.2) for roughly 1000w RMS to the JL speakers/sub and 600w RMS to the tower speakers. (Actual is slightly higher output). See below:25178E59-DA39-4127-BB80-04C2E607388B.jpeg.87083375e0878d2741622ca420ae2264.jpegC47A6356-8409-468F-B43E-0F21DBA8DB8E.jpeg.92d2f661bce3b5112c19c55e0e2b2773.jpeg0731145D-66C8-4EFE-BFAA-6F4604D22190.jpeg.ee2b59c000abf07d52885c34cc085e94.jpegD1BB2F68-0094-415A-AB81-C6ABAC7DE4D6.jpeg.f1c49f5cf6f00fba8033762189f9da13.jpegD42A10AC-72BA-43C2-B2C5-5E6DE1D1EE8F.jpeg.d47467f4f968395d1e5d9099e07d521f.jpeg

On 9/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, delaswim said:

I've got 2 blown speakers.  I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck replacing the stock JBL speakers with ones that have the same mounting hole patterns.

JBL Speaker.PNG

I sent you a PM...  Do you have any functioning stock speakers left after your upgrade to the newer JBLs?  I am looking for one of these original speakers for my 2004 210 SSi.   Let me know!

Jim

4 hours ago, Jim Werner said:

I sent you a PM...  Do you have any functioning stock speakers left after your upgrade to the newer JBLs?  I am looking for one of these original speakers for my 2004 210 SSi.   Let me know!

Jim

Jim, those are just dual cone speakers and are so bad and the rest will crap out eventually. Order four of these to replace them.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS-6520-Two-Way-Speakers-Loudspeaker/dp/B00PCLUXI6

91mknkakl8L._SL1500_.jpg

6 hours ago, Jim Werner said:

Jim

I left the 2 functional speakers in place.  I'm assuming they shoot craps on my soon enough.  I only bought 2 news ones, so hopefully that day is later than sooner.  The new ones I bought match up 2 diagonal holes so you only have to drill 2 new holes.  You'll also need 1.25" pan head stainless screws to install them.  

1 hour ago, delaswim said:

Yep, good price. Not sure what they mean by bulk. Here is the updated dual cone equivalent. Coaxials are worth the extra money IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-MS6510-White-Speaker-Watts/dp/B00OIA4XSI/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538599088&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=4+JBL+MS-6520+MS6520

Bulk usually means they bought a large box of them and they aren't packaged for retail sale.

2 hours ago, jd50i said:

Bulk usually means they bought a large box of them and they aren't packaged for retail sale.

That's accurate.  They came in a non-descriptive box, and only included the speakers.  They are new and packaged accordingly.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, delaswim said:

I've got 2 blown speakers.  I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck replacing the stock JBL speakers with ones that have the same mounting hole patterns.

JBL Speaker.PNG

Dont worry about the hole. Drill new ones - JL Audio m650 CCX with sport grills (NOT mX650!) have the thin bezel to match, but there are 6 holes you need to drill. No big deal. Drill in reverse, slowly, through the gel coat. Small holes below are new, old ones are larger. (Also use a cone nose Dremel grinder and sand the hole edges to eliminate future spider cracking.) Excellent upgrade. But, if you want, I also have my original speakers you can have cheap. D42A10AC-72BA-43C2-B2C5-5E6DE1D1EE8F.jpeg.d47467f4f968395d1e5d9099e07d521f.jpeg

Masking tape on the gelcoat also reduces chance of cracking when drilling and is good to mark on.

7 hours ago, Berzerkel said:

But, if you want, I also have my original speakers you can have cheap. 

PM Sent...  While I eventually will likely upgrade the speakers, for now I'd like to get by with the originals.

10 hours ago, Jim Werner said:

PM Sent...  While I eventually will likely upgrade the speakers, for now I'd like to get by with the originals.

You got it. Pm’d you.

Now that I’ve hijacked this thread, maybe I should start a new one to show my build process and finished product... all done as of last night. Audio test was INSANE!