Sign in to follow this  
chris85

Who owns a 2018 247 SSX or 2019 257 SSX?

Hey guys. I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a new 2019 257 SSX also known as the 247 SSX for the 2018 model year. I am really having trouble deciding on what engine to opt for. It will either be the 300 or 350 hp Mercury 6.2L. I am really trying to determine the performance difference and if its really worth spending over 5K for another 50 horsepower! I have viewed all the reviews that can be found online and I can only make reference to the Volvo 300 hp which was tested on this exact model and the Mercury 350 hp on the 2018 267 SSX, all reviewed by BoatTest.com. I know the simple answer is to get the largest engine possible however I just find it hard to justify 5K more for the same engine just with different software tuning...Just curious if anyone on this forum owns this particular combination and can chime in.

Thanks!

If you're gonna order a new $100k boat what's another $5k?  Personally I'd get the biggest engine they offer for that size boat.  That way no matter how many people or gear you have on board you will have plenty of power.  You'll get varying opinions on whether 300 hp is enough or not.  Its all in how each person drives and what their expectations are.  

We have the 247 SSX.  It has the 300 VP (we liked the one in the dealers inventory).  Performs great.  With just a few of us on board we can hit 46 GPS.  Loaded with up to eight people, gear for the day, etc, knock just a few off that top to about 44.  Plenty fast for my family, that is an individual thing though.  We average a 30 MPH cruise around 4000ish RPM.  No need to be WOT most of the time...

No problem pulling toys with that many on board either.

One thing different, not sure if it makes a huge difference is the block each use.  For 300 and 350 VP use a 5.3 and Merc uses the 6.2 I believe.

We have had it since the latter part of July and love it!

Hi, everyone!   Newbie to the forum here.  I am also considering a new 2019 257 SSX.  Saw a BoatTest.com on an older 257 SSX  (2013?) with Volvo Penta 380 HP 6.2L and Duo Prop.

Checked the Chaparral home site Build program and it only shows Merc and VP to 350 HP now.  Is it just my antique software, or do they still offer 380 HP as an option?

I'm a bit of a horsepower junkie,  and the BoatTest.com specs on a 380 VP looked like just barely enough to get out of it's own way.  I'm looking for at least 53 mph WOT,  and a decent hole shot.

Seems like new 257 SSXs are pretty rare in dealers stock, especially without $$$ towers, forward facing  outdrives, or "surf" stuff.  I guess I'll have to order one.  Would highly appreciate hearing from people with experience on this model.

VAJeff ,  thanks for your input. 

Thanks, ALL!

7 minutes ago, Rip5 said:

Not sure what specs you have seen, but it is not correct.

300,350 HP use the 5.3L GM Block

380, 430 use the 6.2L GM Block.

See here: https://www.volvopenta.us/marineleisure/en-us/products/motor-boats/ranges/aquamatic-sterndrive-gasoline.html

Thanks, Rip5 !!

Of course, you are correct!  I misread my source.  That explains a lot. 1) I'm an Old Salt  and 2) Why waste 6.2L on a 300 or 350.

I guess it's not just HP but torque as well.  My take is that in the big picture of the cost, 5k barely registers a blip.  If I'm ignoring my logic of used being a better bargain than new, I'm getting the bigger power plant in a brand new boat.    

1 hour ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I guess it's not just HP but torque as well.  My take is that in the big picture of the cost, 5k barely registers a blip.  If I'm ignoring my logic of used being a better bargain than new, I'm getting the bigger power plant in a brand new boat.    

Back in 2008, the 496 HO option listed for 15 grand. I did not pay that much, but still.  I see the new Yamaha 425 HP outboard is 48 grand.

8 hours ago, Old Salt said:

Saw a BoatTest.com on an older 257 SSX  (2016?) with Volvo Penta 380 HP 6.2L and Duo Prop.

That model is really gone now.  The 2019 257SSX is identical to my 2018 247SSX.  I believe the 247SSX was brought out a little late in the year, and Chap already had a 257SSX in the 2018 lineup...  

I am plenty happy with the 300HP, I have actually gotten her to a little over 48MPH (GPS) with just me on board.  I imagine the 350 may get you to the 53MPH you are seeking.  This is the same boat, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCdZE09Kr0c, just 2 feet longer and about 800 lbs heavier...  It has a 350HP Merc and hit just over 50MPH.  You would be 2 ft shorter and at least 800 lbs lighter with the 2019 257SSX.  The VP will save you some weight too, since it will do the 350HP from a 5.3L block vs the 6.2 on the Merc.  There is a ton of torque in the VP too :) 

7 hours ago, Chaparral Rider said:

I guess it's not just HP but torque as well.

Yes, this plays a huge part in the newer engines coming out...  I know mine does not really care how many people are aboard, it is always great out of the hole!  I believe that is attributed to the torque of the engine.  WOT may loose a few MPH, but it seems to always get up on plane just as quick.

Why waste 6.2L on a 300 or 350.

Merc does!  

Checked the Chaparral home site Build program and it only shows Merc and VP to 350 HP now.  Is it just my antique software, or do they still offer 380 HP as an option?

I just double checked, the 380 is no longer there.  It was in 18 for the 247SSX.  We took dealer stock, which was the 300HP (although they also had 280 as an option in 18 too).  We were plenty fine with the 300 HP, did not feel the need to special order.  

While I was doing that double check, I priced one out (I know it is MSRP), it is about $6K over the MSRP of what mine was.  I built it identical to what I have.  In 2018, mine built out to just North of $115K MSRP, and now it is just North of $121K.

Hello all,

I purchased the 247 SSX with the 6.2 350 horse merc. And am very satisfied with the boat thus far.  I only have 24 hours on it before it got cold but with 4-5 on board planes fairly quickly for a 5700 lb boat (6-8 seconds).  Max gps speed with 51-52 mph with sane load and fiberglass arch with Bimini.  Motor will cost about 50 bucks an hour to run on fuel with kids water sports.  Very stable and dry ride. When the big lake gets stirred up the 3-4’ chop doesn’t phase this thing.  Sticker was 117k left the dealer paying 83k.  Hope this helps your decision.

Hey Chris247SSX. What pitch prop set does your boat have with that engine? I know the 300hp has a 22" prop set, just curious what the 350hp engine that you have comes with.

I would never take the hit on a brand new boat.... buy a 3 year old boat and save the 30k.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:33 AM, Chris 247SSX said:

Hello all,

I purchased the 247 SSX with the 6.2 350 horse merc. And am very satisfied with the boat thus far.  I only have 24 hours on it before it got cold but with 4-5 on board planes fairly quickly for a 5700 lb boat (6-8 seconds).  Max gps speed with 51-52 mph with sane load and fiberglass arch with Bimini.  Motor will cost about 50 bucks an hour to run on fuel with kids water sports.  Very stable and dry ride. When the big lake gets stirred up the 3-4’ chop doesn’t phase this thing.  Sticker was 117k left the dealer paying 83k.  Hope this helps your decision.

Congrats!  You will love the boat :)  Sounds like at WOT the 350 will get about 4 to 6 MPH more than my 300.  For me, once I am hitting mid to high 40's, I am just fine.  That may account for 5% of total run time too...  Most of the time, I am cruising around 3800 to 4000 for 29 to 31 MPH on average...  Burn is about 10 GPH at that speed.

It is a pretty dry ride, and handles chop just fine!  Really holds great in sharp turns as well.  We just reached the 50 hour mark, and will be getting it to the dealer soon for the 50 hour service.  Will have them get it set for a few months of winter lay up at that time too.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:33 AM, Chris 247SSX said:

Hello all,

That's awesome.  I have to say, looks like you made out pretty dam well!  You've peaked my interest now with those numbers and not just the deal you got, but the $50/hour in fuel is very interesting.  Would love hear some details as to how you got to that figure, if you have time at some point.  

But what's really interesting is that you got $34K knocked off of a brand new boat that was retailing for $117K...that's almost unheard of.  Good for you!  But it begs the question: what kind of profit margin/markups/losses are either the dealer and/or Chaparral taking on this sale?  If the dealer was able to knock off $34K, did they take the loss on that boat?  Or did they share it with Chaparral?  Let's just say the dealer did and made the minimum conceivable and call it $3K just for argument's sake, then they paid Chaparral  $80K, what are Chap's cost/profit margins in this case?  What would it cost them to build that boat factoring materials, parts, motor and all the labor, $50K?  Maybe more, maybe less but let's call it a $30K profit and I know there are many other costs associated but we'll keep it simple for now.  That means from $50K production cost, they tried selling it for $117K which is around 280% markup.  Seems right since the way these things are priced, there must be a rule of thumb that from factory cost to retail on the showroom floor is typically around 300% markup for margin of profit shared between the factory & dealer which allows them all that room to knock off so much money.  Pretty interesting stuff.