Ranger

Hull Advice - Disappointed

still bologna.    The issue seems to be in the last 10 years, so to me its the popular sell for more, but sell less of a product.  I'm pretty convinced at this point my next boat will not be a chap built in the last 10 years.

When I bought my new boat I got to see it under construction at the factory. The workers kept using the analogy that boat building is more like house building, not car building. Lot's of manual labor, not automated, and relies on the skills and pride of the individual. Labor cost were named as the biggest cost of building a boat.

As I have crawled over every inch of my boat from construction through using it for a season, there are several areas where the construction and fit/finish could be better. It is sad that we just accept that a six figure purchase is going to come with flaws from the factory, but the industry has us trained that way. Imagine a new Mercedes rolling off the line with flaws similar to those pictures....

If I pay for anything with ......... Perfect CASH, CHECK or Money order ?   I expect a perfect part .   NO EXCUSES are ever acceptable.

My social & business circles know my rules when I am buying.

I treat people I deal with, the same way.

I'd be hiring an attorney and filing a claim ...Crappy boat .. stop all work before you cover up the shotty workmanship.

16 hours ago, paulswagelock said:

When I bought my new boat I got to see it under construction at the factory. The workers kept using the analogy that boat building is more like house building, not car building. Lot's of manual labor, not automated, and relies on the skills and pride of the individual. Labor cost were named as the biggest cost of building a boat.

As I have crawled over every inch of my boat from construction through using it for a season, there are several areas where the construction and fit/finish could be better. It is sad that we just accept that a six figure purchase is going to come with flaws from the factory, but the industry has us trained that way. Imagine a new Mercedes rolling off the line with flaws similar to those pictures....

Couldn't have said it better.  Especially the part where the industry has us trained that way.  The industry also gives you the middle finger when you start biatching and complaining and threatening to go buy elsewhere.  They laugh at you an say "go ahead" because they're not going to lose out just because you got out of the line.  The next one behind you takes your spot just as fast as you pulled out.  And despite some of the manufacturers closing certain lines or models, boat sales are actually booming in this country and probably even worldwide although I don't have evidence of the latter, a lot of it is supported by the market here in the US since the world economy is so globalized that when the US benefits in certain aspects, so does the rest of the world and vice-versa.  Just look at this forum and if you've been an active member for 5 or more years, you can easily see the influx of new, Chaparral boat owners from first-time owners to ones who haven't been boating but decided to get back into it after many years, but quite a few new boaters and I've even noticed more foreign fellas such as the OP.

The crazy thing is that once you sign the bill of sale, you own it and everything that comes with it and in unfortunate situations such as this one, the OP is essentially stuck with the boat and needs to make the best of it.  Those who are claiming he should boycott for a new one are not dealing with the reality of the situation.  That kinda thing almost never ever happens.  Dealer would be like "yeah, ok.  Whatever."

The sloppiness in those photos to me is shocking.  I can't quite understand how that boat ever made it into someones possession whereby the final inspector, the buyer, would just not take possession.